Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 2018 Chuff thread - is it chuffy in here?  (Read 133870 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: 2018 Chuff thread - is it chuffy in here?
« Reply #280 on: April 12, 2018, 12:15:49 am »
No man that's not what I'm talking about.  When I first got into this hobby the closest thing to a consumer level product were keyboard encoders like the i-pac and they had just came out.  If you wanted a mame/emulation setup you either converted a cab or built one and you would get zero help from the industry.  So it was a hobby... building the cabinet and setting it up was the hobby.  Now there are commercial front-ends, patreon funded emulators, ready made arcade sticks and now stuff like Pandora where you essentially just buy a turn-key mame setup.

It's at a point to where it isn't necessarily cost-effective to even bother doing things from scratch anymore.  So there isn't much hobby left in the hobby.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #281 on: April 12, 2018, 09:46:53 am »
So you're pissed at people with vision, like RandyT and Haruman, who've turned their hobby into a source of income.

That's when the hobby has come full circle for an individual... They found something they enjoy doing... Then they found a way to make money doing it.... CRUCIFY THEM!!!
%Bartop

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #282 on: April 12, 2018, 10:50:49 am »
No man that's not what I'm talking about.  When I first got into this hobby the closest thing to a consumer level product were keyboard encoders like the i-pac and they had just came out.  If you wanted a mame/emulation setup you either converted a cab or built one and you would get zero help from the industry.  So it was a hobby... building the cabinet and setting it up was the hobby.  Now there are commercial front-ends, patreon funded emulators, ready made arcade sticks and now stuff like Pandora where you essentially just buy a turn-key mame setup.

It's at a point to where it isn't necessarily cost-effective to even bother doing things from scratch anymore.  So there isn't much hobby left in the hobby.
That is all about crazy.....Just because someone makes someting doesn't mean it's over, You can still do it to,That and all that prefab attracts a whole new crowd.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #283 on: April 12, 2018, 01:18:07 pm »
So you're pissed at people with vision, like RandyT and Haruman, who've turned their hobby into a source of income.

That's when the hobby has come full circle for an individual... They found something they enjoy doing... Then they found a way to make money doing it.... CRUCIFY THEM!!!

No I didn't say that, quite putting words into my mouth.  Maybe you should quit while you are ahead before I get angry.  I don't know what problem you've been having with me lately, but suck it up and move on. 

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #284 on: April 12, 2018, 01:58:30 pm »
Maybe you should quit while you are ahead before I get angry.

Wouldn't I like you when you're angry? :duckhunt

Now go back and read all your posts in whatever ---smurfing--- tone you use to read mine... Then decide if you might have a problem you need to get over.
%Bartop

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #285 on: April 12, 2018, 02:47:21 pm »
I kinda get what H_C is saying, my standpoint is that now-a-days it's gotten much more commercialized than when I started in the hobby.  But the thing is, there was always a present marketable angle to this hobby. Without it the hobby wouldn't have progressed.  Guys like Andy (Ultimarc), Randy(GroovyGameGear), even John/Saint has benefited from marketing this hobby, and vendors have been supplying solutions for getting our projects completed for a long time now. Mind, they're not all-in-one solutions like we have now, but the point is there was always a commercial/marketable side to this hobby. It's just more prevalent and larger scoped these days due to more and more people getting into the scene. To say that this is a new thing is naive.

Using those all-in-one solutions for eliminating the software setup of things is a trade-up. Building your own PC based emulation rig is still the best option out of all these solutions. PC set-ups still have the best compatibility, emulation options, and less lag and display problems than what you can get in a pandora box, for example.  Yes, these Pandora boxes can output arcade resolutions, but the emulation is sub-par.  The video modes are not accurate, especially in CPS2/3 (image cropping persists), have weird filters applied, and any vertical game being crunched down and forced to be displayed in horizontal orientation looks really bad. Not to mention the shearing and inaccurate video timings. Even input lag is bad on these emulation devices.

Re: the lack of "hobby" in the hobby H_C was getting at, I think he's just focused on the interfacing with emulation, where I think it's worse than just these all-in-one solutions. It relates to what a lot of the older members here have been saying, there's a lack of innovation in projects these days.  There are a bunch of factors that have contributed to this, but I mainly blame the pre-cut CNC kits that are available today (sorry Lee, I still <3 you though!) and not these all-in-one boards like the Pandora's box, or the 60in1's.
Gone are the days where you'd see new designs being made on a frequent basis. I would say maybe a year before I joined, around 2007 to about 2010 was the sweet spot for innovated, new projects that were progressing the hobby with fresh ideas and solutions. Great themed cabinets were being made then, with  unique shapes, interesting control solutions, and real DIY problem solving. Now-a-days you have a very small handful of people still doing this, but for the most part your average joe-shmo just getting into the hobby now is going to just buy a pre-built cabinet kit, slap on some "photochopped" mismatched artwork on it, fit an all-in-one software solution into them and be happy with that. Either that or they just copy that ---fracking--- Flynn cabinet, which is propagating that poorly designed CP every single time. 

The hobby has definitely become "vanilla", but the problem isn't really the marketable/commercialization of it, the problem is the hobbyists are a different breed/age-group now.  People are lazier these days, or fearful of failure that they take the easy short-cuts to get a functional cabinet put together. Or they lack vision or the experience of the old arcade days  (I'm looking at you, millennial trendsters). It's like the hobby lost it's edge. There is no real pre-thought put into their themes, or any forethought on where they see their projects sitting 10+ years from now.

Honestly I just want the unique designs, cabinet shapes and themes to come back. Something that as a whole is cohesive and complete. Not these samey half-assed pre-cut cabinets and bartops we keep seeing posted these days. Whenever I see those projects threads I can't help but think "why even bother posting a thread for this?".
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:01:49 pm by opt2not »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #286 on: April 13, 2018, 01:11:29 am »
I kinda get what H_C is saying, my standpoint is that now-a-days it's gotten much more commercialized than when I started in the hobby.  But the thing is, there was always a present marketable angle to this hobby. Without it the hobby wouldn't have progressed.  Guys like Andy (Ultimarc), Randy(GroovyGameGear), even John/Saint has benefited from marketing this hobby, and vendors have been supplying solutions for getting our projects completed for a long time now. Mind, they're not all-in-one solutions like we have now, but the point is there was always a commercial/marketable side to this hobby. It's just more prevalent and larger scoped these days due to more and more people getting into the scene. To say that this is a new thing is naive.

Using those all-in-one solutions for eliminating the software setup of things is a trade-up. Building your own PC based emulation rig is still the best option out of all these solutions. PC set-ups still have the best compatibility, emulation options, and less lag and display problems than what you can get in a pandora box, for example.  Yes, these Pandora boxes can output arcade resolutions, but the emulation is sub-par.  The video modes are not accurate, especially in CPS2/3 (image cropping persists), have weird filters applied, and any vertical game being crunched down and forced to be displayed in horizontal orientation looks really bad. Not to mention the shearing and inaccurate video timings. Even input lag is bad on these emulation devices.

Re: the lack of "hobby" in the hobby H_C was getting at, I think he's just focused on the interfacing with emulation, where I think it's worse than just these all-in-one solutions. It relates to what a lot of the older members here have been saying, there's a lack of innovation in projects these days.  There are a bunch of factors that have contributed to this, but I mainly blame the pre-cut CNC kits that are available today (sorry Lee, I still <3 you though!) and not these all-in-one boards like the Pandora's box, or the 60in1's.
Gone are the days where you'd see new designs being made on a frequent basis. I would say maybe a year before I joined, around 2007 to about 2010 was the sweet spot for innovated, new projects that were progressing the hobby with fresh ideas and solutions. Great themed cabinets were being made then, with  unique shapes, interesting control solutions, and real DIY problem solving. Now-a-days you have a very small handful of people still doing this, but for the most part your average joe-shmo just getting into the hobby now is going to just buy a pre-built cabinet kit, slap on some "photochopped" mismatched artwork on it, fit an all-in-one software solution into them and be happy with that. Either that or they just copy that ---fracking--- Flynn cabinet, which is propagating that poorly designed CP every single time. 

The hobby has definitely become "vanilla", but the problem isn't really the marketable/commercialization of it, the problem is the hobbyists are a different breed/age-group now.  People are lazier these days, or fearful of failure that they take the easy short-cuts to get a functional cabinet put together. Or they lack vision or the experience of the old arcade days  (I'm looking at you, millennial trendsters). It's like the hobby lost it's edge. There is no real pre-thought put into their themes, or any forethought on where they see their projects sitting 10+ years from now.

Honestly I just want the unique designs, cabinet shapes and themes to come back. Something that as a whole is cohesive and complete. Not these samey half-assed pre-cut cabinets and bartops we keep seeing posted these days. Whenever I see those projects threads I can't help but think "why even bother posting a thread for this?".

^^This guy gets it.^^ 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #287 on: April 13, 2018, 10:20:04 am »
Sooner or later every hobby has the "easy button" for people who just want to dip their toes.  I can't think of a hobby I have enjoyed over the years that doesn't have a cheap and easy (and low quality) option, whether it has to do with someone trying to take advantage by selling a cheap starter package or someone trying to come up with a cheap finished product so a consumer can skip the "build" part and go right to the "play" part. 

Back to the chuff, a couple pics of my latest hobby project.  This one is not some out of the box commercialized version...

Enterprise level network: Check
Whole House Audio system: Check
Standalone Plex Server: Check
UPS backups: Check
21,000 watts of power for the theater: Check
Things are starting to come together...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #288 on: April 19, 2018, 10:03:51 am »
My UPS rep brought donuts to my office today.

I challenge anyone to top the chuffiness of free, fresh, local bakery donuts in the morning.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #289 on: April 19, 2018, 10:15:30 am »

I challenge anyone to top the chuffiness of free, fresh, local bakery donuts in the morning.

Make sure you hork some to bring in your carry-on...
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #290 on: April 19, 2018, 10:31:37 am »
If I knew he was coming I would have told him to bring an extra half dozen to stuff in my bag.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #291 on: April 19, 2018, 10:48:55 am »

The bakery is two door down in the direction of the big arrow. One door after that is where my son takes drum lessons.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:00:13 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #292 on: April 19, 2018, 10:58:55 am »
One thing I truly miss about San Antonio is nobody played around and brought donuts to work.  Breakfast tacos or GTFO.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #293 on: April 19, 2018, 12:14:47 pm »

I got you beat.
Every Friday we get donuts in the morning, then beer at 5pm (usually a choice of 3 beers). It’s part of the perks of working at a game studio. Stay in school, and work hard to follow your dreams, kids.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #294 on: April 19, 2018, 12:20:54 pm »

I got you beat.
Every Friday we get donuts in the morning, then beer at 5pm (usually a choice of 3 beers). It’s part of the perks of working at a game studio. Stay in school, and work hard to follow your dreams, kids.

You suck.

I am part owner of the company. I would have to buy them for myself.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:22:51 pm by Mike A »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #295 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:52 pm »
I met an *actual* Dupont today. He was actually a pretty great guy, or fakes it well.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #296 on: April 19, 2018, 01:00:16 pm »
I met an *actual* Dupont today. He was actually a pretty great guy, or fakes it well.
Did he ask you if you wanted to wrestle?

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2018, 01:50:47 pm »

I got you beat.

You suck.

Well if you're part-owner, then I'd say you win this round.  I'd love to be an owner of a company, preferably a game studio.  Being your own boss, that's the American dream right?

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2018, 02:05:33 pm »
The hours suck, but the pay is good. You can't beat the job security if the company is healthy. When I wake up in the morning I know my job is going to be there. That is worth a lot.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2018, 02:41:31 pm »

I got you beat.

You suck.

Well if you're part-owner, then I'd say you win this round.  I'd love to be an owner of a company, preferably a game studio.  Being your own boss, that's the American dream right?

You'll end up in a van. Down by the river. Just like me.
%Bartop

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2018, 02:45:47 pm »

Do they pay you for that time you spend drinking beer?  Do you manage to actually talk about something besides work while you stand there with coworkers?

So, congrats, you probably gave away $200 worth of your time for $20 worth of beer.

:cheers:

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2018, 02:54:17 pm »

Do they pay you for that time you spend drinking beer?  Do you manage to actually talk about something besides work while you stand there with coworkers?

So, congrats, you probably gave away $200 worth of your time for $20 worth of beer.

It's salary, bro. So yes, they pay me for drinking beer during that time, and yes we try to talk about something other than work (but being a company of gaming geeks, we mainly talk about games we played, or movies/tv we watch, nerd stuff etc...)

They also pay me for getting in "around" 10am, and leaving "around" 5pm, while taking sometimes 2 hour lunch which is also paid time.  Basically, in the games industry, completed tasks > time spent. Which is why sometimes you hear stories of game devs putting in a lot of OT when it's crunch-time for delivery dates.

I didn't choose this career so I can punch a clock.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 03:14:06 pm by opt2not »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2018, 03:31:04 pm »

I got you beat.

You suck.

You'll end up in a van. Down by the river. Just like me.

Yours is all by choice, brof.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2018, 04:02:22 pm »

If it works for you, I'm happy for you.  Some of us would rather spend leisure time with friends and family.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2018, 04:24:18 pm »

If it works for you, I'm happy for you.  Some of us would rather spend leisure time with friends and family.

Or some people might use that time to dive into dumpsters. Whatever floats your boat.

But thanks, James, even if that statement comes with condescension.

Don’t get me wrong, I do spend my leisure time with friends and family, but I also see the value is spending an hour with co-workers in a social capacity to help build team relationships and foster a healthy work culture. Beers attached is a good incentive as well.

People that don’t work in a team atmosphere might not understand this.

And the OT at the company I’m at is very seldom, but it does happen. It’s all part of software development, there are some things you just can’t plan for.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #305 on: April 19, 2018, 04:26:09 pm »
I'm teasing you, but I have a strong aversion to drinking around coworkers.  It's just better for everyone involved if I don't have any truth serum in me.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #306 on: April 19, 2018, 04:33:22 pm »
Lol I wish you were coming to Zapcon. I’d enjoy kicking back a few with ya.  :cheers:

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #307 on: April 19, 2018, 04:49:28 pm »
Yep, me, too.   :'(

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #308 on: April 21, 2018, 12:32:04 am »
Zapcon consolation prize.... VIP (lol) ticket to an industrial concert..

Then I get a text from my discount butcher shop.  $1/lb for chicken wings, pre cut, no tips... so I drive like a bat out of hell.  I got one of the last six cases... they sold 7,500 pounds.

Then a bunch of parts show up.  Alien Poker drop targets working and I replaced a couple blown mosfets.  That game is 100% for the first time in awhile...

Laythe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 11:12:38 pm
  • "-smurfing- delivers." - Yots
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,149109.0.html
« Reply #309 on: April 21, 2018, 02:30:16 am »
I am chuffed to be at freakin Zapcon.    8)

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #310 on: May 04, 2018, 07:37:21 pm »
You’ll never guess who’s wife is out of town.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #311 on: May 04, 2018, 08:02:52 pm »
You’ll never guess who’s wife is out of town.

If that true, this should be you...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #312 on: May 04, 2018, 08:14:30 pm »
That's, uh, spot on.

opt2not

• Offline Offline
« Reply #313 on: May 04, 2018, 09:32:05 pm »
Wings and homemade hooch...sounds like my kinda weekend. :D

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #314 on: May 05, 2018, 01:23:22 am »
Nice.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #315 on: May 05, 2018, 02:08:09 am »
Finished up Fractured But Whole, which surprisingly was a very good RPG.  Took me about 28 hours to complete. 

Wings were freaking amazing. Marinated in Italian dressing.  Dredged in flour mixed with slap ya mama white pepper blend.  Fried.  Put in oven at 250 for a bit just to make sure, and then tossed in butter and Louisiana hot sauce.  The face of God was touched tonight.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
2018 Chuff thread - is it chuffy in here?
« Reply #316 on: May 05, 2018, 10:48:28 am »
Sweet! Let us know if you get diar- dyarr- dieahre- the shits.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #317 on: May 05, 2018, 11:20:19 pm »
No more than usual. 

Apparently it was national home brew day or some BS.  Crashed two shops and ate free food and drank free beer.  Then off to an actual brewery arcade for a bit.  I played Rampage, Simpson’s, Duck Hunt, and 720.

Then off for tacos and texting pictures of them to all the Hispanics in my address book.  I love the Hispanics.

Parts arrived, so I whipped out the shop vac desoldering iron.  I’ve replaced every component associated with a row of lights on my Firepower and no change.   :-\ I did get a nonfunctional column working which was nice but not so gameplay essential.

Second batch of wings toasting in the oven.

Tomorrow for Sober Sunday I’m going to attempt building and getting a cabinet functional in 1 day.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #318 on: May 05, 2018, 11:54:57 pm »
Tomorrow for Sober Sunday ...

What a terrible day that is.
%Bartop

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #319 on: May 06, 2018, 12:12:35 am »
I personally know two men that sawed off fingers cutting boards while having a beer.  I’ve already spent an Easter having metal scraped out of my eye.  Don’t mess around with power tools, son.