Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trying to set up my first Cabinet  (Read 1833 times)

fombelle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2017, 07:34:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trying to set up my first Cabinet
« on: December 27, 2017, 07:34:45 pm »
So my buddy has a laptop that he is setting up for me to use in the cabinet (Golden Tee 2004).  The laptop has a VGA out, but I guess I need something to convert video signal (I really am not great with electronics etc). 

This is the part that I found on eBay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CGA-to-VGA-or-VGA-to-CGA-Adapter-CGA-VGA-VGA-CGA-Arcade-Monitor-Converter/221480387637?hash=item3391428435%3Ag%3A-FQAAOSwbdpWUjRu

Will this work to allow me to use the original monitor that's in the cabinet? 

Thanks for the help!

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
Re: Trying to set up my first Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 11:03:46 am »
My advice would be to ditch the laptop and get a conventional pc with a crt emudriver compatible graphics card and a jpac from ultimarc. Read the stickie threads in the groovymame section.

keilmillerjr

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2023, 10:20:39 pm
  • Web Developer.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 12:00:30 pm »
Ps keep the crt. It requires more work to get it going with your project, but is well worth it.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 08:06:32 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 12:37:28 am »
That device in the OP is an adapter, not a converter - basically it's just an HD/DB15 breakout, it doesn't convert a VGA signal into a CGA one.

a CRT is well wort the effort IMO, but if yours needs 15kHz/CGA, feeding it VGA through whatever plug or wires won't do you much good.

crt_emudriver is a great option. If your laptop has a Radeon card and a VGA out, there's a good chance crt_emudriver will work on it, otherwise look into crt_emudriver on a coventional PC with a compatible Radeon card.