Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Haruman widescreen bartop build- your input requested :)  (Read 5801 times)

juan9999

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2019, 12:07:37 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Haruman widescreen bartop build- your input requested :)
« on: January 05, 2018, 01:07:52 am »
Aloha!

My Haruman widescreen bartop just shipped (yay and thank you!!!) and was looking for some help in choosing some hardware to order for it.  I've done existing cabinet conversions to Mame using ARPICADE, but I've never built one from scratch.  I'm into minimal soldering/wiring/etc.

Here is the model I ordered.  I ordered all options for it:
Kit - black melamine
red T-molding
Plexi marquee, bezel, and CP cover
marquee retainers
VESA screws
fused power inlet

https://www.harumancustoms.com/products/bartop-kits/widescreen-bartop

Here are my thoughts so far.

I'd like to build a MAME/ Raspberry Pi 3 build, but I could be convinced to put in a mini PC if people recommend that (if so which do your recommend)

Stage 1 build (getting it working)

- Happ concave buttons and Happ competition sticks (6 blue buttons and a blue stick, 6 red buttons and a red stick)
- Black Carriage Bolts to mount competition sticks (8X)
- For admin panel 6 short GoldLeaf buttons from Ultimarc (1P, 2P, Coin1, Coin2, Select1, Select2)
- XIN MO ARCADE USB CONTROLLER KIT -FOR 2 PLAYER with wires
- Raspberry Pi 3, SD
- Power strip (that I'm assuming I have to solder into power inlet

TBD:
- Monitor
- Speakers/AMP
- ?

Stage 2:
-  LED light strip
-  Artwork etc

My questions:
1.  Is above list of items complete? Any vendor anyone would recommend for sticks/buttons?
2.  Would you change anything from above?
3.  How should I use the admin controls?
4.  What monitor should I get?
5.  I assume that I'll be using HDMI out, can the RPi also output analogue to speakers?
6.  Which speakers should I get?
7.  Should I run retropi?

Mahalo!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:10:03 am by juan9999 »

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
Re: Haruman widescreen bartop build- your input requested :)
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:56:17 am »
Sounds good!

RPi is easier to install, imo. (Mini) PC might get you more power and maybe some more flexibility. Question is: do you need it? Kinda depends on what games you want to play I guess. And maybe stuff like illuminated buttons is easier with a PC.

• Looks pretty complete. Maybe a scanline generator, but you can also use a overlay or course. For sticks/buttons: paradisearcadeshop.com (based on your aloha and mahalo I would say this is your place to go), groovygamegear.com, etc.
  • Why both select and coin buttons? Do you need select in MAME? And for consoles you can use the coin button for select. And why are the admin buttons different from the player buttons?
  • You press it.
  • One with good viewing angles.
  • Yup, you can set that up in RetroPie. Just change the audio from HDMI to analog somewhere in the settings.
  • Almost anything will do. For instance car speakers, or cheap PC speakers.
  • If you will use an RPi the answer is definitely yes. The only real question could be: should I use EmulationStation as a front-end, or something else? And that depends on how you want the front-end to look like.
     AttractMode for instance had more flexibility.

juan9999

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 11:41:40 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I'm debating a PC since in addition to mame it may make sense to run other emulators to take advantage of the 23" since most mame games are 4:3, but yes, I love the simplicity of the RPI.

1.  What exactly is a scanline generator?
2.  The kit has 6 (2 groups of 3) buttons at the bottom and I have no idea what to use the third one for (other than coin, and 1p/2p)- maybe to exit back to front end?
3.  lol- I meant how to configure.  Covered in 2.
4.  Any specific one that people have used in this cabinet?
5.  Great!
6.  Will I need an amp from the RPI to use car speakers? 
7.  Thanks!

Thanks again!

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:12:06 pm »
No solder necessary on the power inlet. Just strip the wire a little and put some quick connects on the ends. Let me know if you need help on this part.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 12:14:59 pm »
What kind of emulators would you like to play with? Or do you want to play some PC games as well? Because then you might need quite

rave0035

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2021, 11:02:21 pm
  • Disassemble First, Ask Questions Later...
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:03:55 pm »
Just built one of these.

For me, a traditional PC build was just more familiar territory than an rPi... but I'll tell you that even a slim-form motherboard and power supply is a tight squeeze in the cab.  I had to get creative to get it all in there. 

Mike
You can't truly know how something works until you've ruined it by taking it apart.

loupg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 06:20:34 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 04:33:06 pm »
For sticks/buttons: paradisearcadeshop.com (based on your aloha and mahalo I would say this is your place to go), groovygamegear.com, etc.[/li][/list]

paradisearcadeshop.com isn't located in hawaii anymore.  I believe it moved to Minnesota.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Spectrum
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 01:32:58 pm »
    For sticks/buttons: paradisearcadeshop.com (based on your aloha and mahalo I would say this is your place to go), groovygamegear.com, etc.[/li][/list]

paradisearcadeshop.com isn't located in hawaii anymore.  I believe it moved to Minnesota.
    They still say weird stuf like "E komo mai" and "Mahalo" ;) But you're right!

UEDan

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
    « Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 05:21:48 pm »
    rPis are slow. Slow startup will take away from the experience. IMO.
    I also have a 23" widescreen in my bartop. I've played more Wii Mariokart than anything else(I blame the wife).
    Fit wasn't too much of an issue for me with a Micro ITX board. But I could only fit a low profile GFX card.

For power you should be able to use the same terminal connectors as your controls.

Amp. I like physical controls for my volume. Amazon usb powered speakers routed under the marquee fit my bill.
    I had a Lepai amp, hated it and picked up a DROK TDA7297. Way better. Problem is now you have to find 9-18v to power it.

LEDs are blinding. My marquee uses 3 LED light strips. Even after layering thick paper I still play with it off. Use sparingly.

I have a single hidden admin button behind the volume control that functions as a shift key. Keeps the panel clean and I don't get accidental hits. Get an iPac, it's worth it.

mafiafan123

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:March 01, 2022, 01:13:01 pm
    • i'd buy that for a dollar
    « Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 01:31:26 am »
    On Audio I used boss speakers and a Pyle Amp sounds great Kinter to me sounded flat. As far as the power outlet I just did the following, I think it's on the last part of my build.

My build is here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=152519.0

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
    • Spectrum
    « Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 04:38:46 am »
    Really? Old computers without SSD are way slower than an RPi3. The later will boot to Emulationstation within 10-15 seconds in my experience... And a game start in 1-2 seconds?

juan9999

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 06:44:04 am »
    No solder necessary on the power inlet. Just strip the wire a little and put some quick connects on the ends. Let me know if you need help on this part.

I've never use quickconnects- any particular ones you'd advise? 

juan9999

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 06:46:52 am »
    What kind of emulators would you like to play with? Or do you want to play some PC games as well? Because then you might need quite

I'd like to play "all" mame games...  including fighters etc. as well as PS1, PSP, N64, ...

I've only used a RPi in my vertical cocktail to use old school mame games, so I know it works really well for those, but I'd like to take advantage of the widescreen
    « Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 06:52:10 am by juan9999 »

juan9999

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 06:49:22 am »
    I also have a 23" widescreen in my bartop. I've played more Wii Mariokart than anything else(I blame the wife).
    Fit wasn't too much of an issue for me with a Micro ITX board. But I could only fit a low profile GFX card.

For power you should be able to use the same terminal connectors as your controls.

Amp. I like physical controls for my volume. Amazon usb powered speakers routed under the marquee fit my bill.
    I had a Lepai amp, hated it and picked up a DROK TDA7297. Way better. Problem is now you have to find 9-18v to power it.

LEDs are blinding. My marquee uses 3 LED light strips. Even after layering thick paper I still play with it off. Use sparingly.

I have a single hidden admin button behind the volume control that functions as a shift key. Keeps the panel clean and I don't get accidental hits. Get an iPac, it's worth it.

Good point about the graphics card!

What 23" monitor did you put in there?  Would you recommend it?

Are there dimmable LED strips?

juan9999

• Offline Offline
    « Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:51 am »
    On Audio I used boss speakers and a Pyle Amp sounds great Kinter to me sounded flat. As far as the power outlet I just did the following, I think it's on the last part of my build.

My build is here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=152519.0

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks!

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
    • Spectrum
    « Reply #15 on: January 10, 2018, 09:42:15 am »

I'd like to play "all" mame games...  including fighters etc. as well as PS1, PSP, N64, ...

I've only used a RPi in my vertical cocktail to use old school mame games, so I know it works really well for those, but I'd like to take advantage of the widescreen
    Overclocked a RPi3 (with good power supply etc.) could emulate N64 fairly wel, but YMMV. If you really want to play N64 games and be sure it'll work for all games I would go for a PC.

loupg

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:December 26, 2021, 06:20:34 pm
    « Reply #16 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:27 am »

Overclocked a RPi3 (with good power supply etc.) could emulate N64 fairly wel, but YMMV. If you really want to play N64 games and be sure it'll work for all games I would go for a PC.

Yeah, and depending on how complete he's going with the games, he might need 1TB+ of space for all of those games.

juan9999, my suggestion is to try out all of the consoles/games you're trying to emulate with the fight stick layout you're going with to make sure you actually like the way it works, before getting your heart set on emulating all of those systems.

UEDan

• Offline Offline
    • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
    « Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 12:04:30 pm »
    Really? Old computers without SSD are way slower than an RPi3. The later will boot to Emulationstation within 10-15 seconds in my experience... And a game start in 1-2 seconds?
    My old PC is an 4th gen i5.

I used a random matte finish Viewsonic I found on Craigslist. Viewing angles are meh.
    I have 2 Dell U2312hm at work. Viewing angles are pretty good and I can confirm they turn on by just plugging in the power(remembers last state).

LED dimmer switches exist:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Dimmer-Switch-for-LED-Strip-Light-12V-8A-Mountable-with-Terminals/251985183083?epid=1658856529&hash=item3aab7cc16b:g:RwEAAOSwoFVaU8G4
    Didn't go this route as I had no idea how I would cleanly mount it.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
    • Spectrum
    « Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 01:39:22 pm »
    Cool!  :dunno

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Offline Offline
    • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
    • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
    « Reply #19 on: January 10, 2018, 02:02:01 pm »

I used a random matte finish Viewsonic I found on Craigslist. Viewing angles are meh.
    I have 2 Dell U2312hm at work. Viewing angles are pretty good and I can confirm they turn on by just plugging in the power(remembers last state).

LED dimmer switches exist:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Manual-Dimmer-Switch-for-LED-Strip-Light-12V-8A-Mountable-with-Terminals/251985183083?epid=1658856529&hash=item3aab7cc16b:g:RwEAAOSwoFVaU8G4
    Didn't go this route as I had no idea how I would cleanly mount it.

Just buy one of these, to dim your leds.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-profile-Inline-Controller-Dimmer-Switch-for-LED-Strip-Light-Bare-Wire/361269577543?hash=item541d584747:g:uZYAAOSwImRaU8DG