Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: An interesting pi theory.  (Read 2893 times)

acvieluf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 02:12:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
An interesting pi theory.
« on: January 05, 2018, 12:27:08 am »
Read this article.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piserver/

So in theory, you have a couple of mame cab's running RPis. But they're not running retropie. Instead they're automatically connecting and communicating with the windows (x86) server, running regular mame plus frontend?

That should work, yes? Since the x86 machine isn't doing multiple game processing, just serving the files into the local pi ram, and the RPis processor is handling the game?

I mean, I can't do it ATM, as id like to get my one cab done. But I could see expanding on that in the future.

What do you think?

Sent from my car phone

ZoOl007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2020, 12:03:38 pm
    • RGBcommander
Re: An interesting pi theory.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 03:15:31 am »
You've got some things wrong. This is about pxe booting and serving files over tftp. The arm devices are in fact running their own os, only w/o a disk attached. It is something that has existed for years and I've used it a bit in a linux production environment and at home. In fact, mass windows deployments for example are mostly done with pxe booting and serving wim boot images over tftp. Some tc's work using the same principles but for an arcade hobby? It is cool to set a thing like this up though... (but not with pre-chewed software, you'll never understand how it works if you don't do it yourself)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 04:30:27 am by ZoOl007 »