Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RocketLeague... the modern day Pong?  (Read 4301 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
RocketLeague... the modern day Pong?
« on: January 03, 2018, 06:19:51 pm »
So this week RocketLeague hit the 40 million player mark which doesn't surprise me, I ---smurfing--- love RocketLeague! I bought this game when it first hit Steam years ago and have continually played it, sinking more time into it than any other game of recent memory. The reasons I like it are myriad, the arena aesthetics, the quick intense games, it rewards practice, a seasonal ranking system that keeps it competitive, loot system that's optional and fun and doesn't affect play etc.

Anyway, my love for this game got me thinking about what the gameplay actually is and it occurred to me that this is really just a very modern version Pong played in 3D space with a some power ups. The cars are basically paddles (ie. they all affect the ball the same), you're trying to hit the ball from one side of the screen to the other to score. Granted it's in 3D space, you can speed up your 'paddle' or blow up your opponents paddle temporarily, the physics are highly advanced and there's a lot of window dressing but when you distill it down to it's core components it's just really advanced Pong for the modern age which I think is cool.  :afro:

Any other RocketLeague lovers out there or thoughts on how RocketLeague is (or isn't) the Pong of our day and age? 
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

acvieluf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2024, 03:07:12 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147793.0.html
Re: RocketLeague... the modern day Pong?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 06:42:15 pm »
I guess anything close to soccer can be considered Pong. But I always considered Rocket League to be the modern-day ball Blazer.

UEDan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2019, 05:54:08 am
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 06:57:35 pm »
---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, really that good? Good replay value?
I was debating buying it for the Switch(it was on sale).

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 07:37:43 pm »
I gather its closest cousin is BallBlazer?

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 09:40:50 pm »

I loved BallBlazer on the Atari 800.  :cheers:

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:55 pm »
I've seen it but never been.
Is it really that much fun?
How many can play at once?

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:57:05 pm »
I guess anything close to soccer can be considered Pong. But I always considered Rocket League to be the modern-day ball Blazer.

I loved BallBlazer on the Atari 800.  :cheers:

I wouldn't necessarily equate anything soccer related, FIFA for instance isn't similar. Interesting on BallBlazer, I had never seen or played it. Looks vaguely similar in that you hit the ball with a car-like object and try to get it into an opposing goal. RocketLeague had it's own predecessor, not nearly as popular but with a cult following that's named Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars. The cars in RocketLeague particularly remind me of a Pong bar because they are all rectangular shaped (3D cubes) with nearly identical hitboxes and physics etc. making the game outcome dependent solely on how well you can maneuver the car/bar in 3D space.

---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, really that good? Good replay value?
I was debating buying it for the Switch(it was on sale).

I've seen it but never been.
Is it really that much fun?
How many can play at once?

For me, yes it's super fun. I'm not sure the appeal is completely universal (though 40 million players is a good testament) I thought there might be some other RL fans here.

Competitive online play has 4 categories, 3v3 Standard, 2v2 Doubles, 1v1 Solo Duel and 3v3 Solo Standard. Most people play 3v3. The games are only 5 minutes so it's easy to get in a few games here and there quickly. It's super easy to learn but tough to master as you progress and rewards lots of practice. It has great training modes to practice and learn and for online non-competitive modes there are some crazier fun arena's and game types where you battle each other with power ups like a spring loaded boxing gloves or try to make the floor drop out of your opponents side of the arena. They also change up the arenas/aesthetics to make them seasonal and the car toppers, wheels etc. (which are purely aesthetic) are fun. The loot system is wholly optional and doesn't affect your car performance at all. I play it on a PC as well so I can jam tunes while I play.

Definitely give it a try, especially if you can pick it up for cheap!
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 02:31:34 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 02:11:54 am »
I own it. Peer pressured into buying it on Xbox One. It's fun enough, though I only play it when my friend who lives and breathes the game comes to play. We almost always win, with little help from me! I am not super into it but for the sake of my gaming buddy I'll play an hour or two every couple weeks.

I see the appeal and agree it's worth trying out. I for one have not fallen prey to it like others have, I am more of a "The Long Dark" gamer. But I'd love to hear your experience with it when that comes.

KenToad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:46:35 am
  • Flap Flap Flap
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2018, 09:45:42 pm »
Rocket League is fantastic, such a perfect learning curve and fun, accessible gameplay.

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 01:48:55 am »
I am more of a "The Long Dark" gamer.

The Long Dark is Amazing, one of my favorite gaming finds. I recommend everyone check it out.