Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Playing >60Hz games at 4k on a FreeSync monitor (Windows)  (Read 1562 times)

chrispitude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2017, 06:54:01 pm
Playing >60Hz games at 4k on a FreeSync monitor (Windows)
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:13 pm »
Hi all,

I have an 32" Acer ET322QK 4k FreeSync monitor that I use to play MAME games with CRT shaders applied. Most games play very smoothly thanks to FreeSync, but I noticed that some games (such as Rally-X) still had some stuttering. I then discovered that these games all have refresh rates of 60.6Hz, and MAME's own FPS metric showed a steady 99% of target - just short.

This is not a MAME or a FreeSync limitation; DisplayPort 1.2 itself has a limit of 60Hz at 4k. However, I found a solution for Windows:

• Install Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) (https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU).
  • In CRU, click "Edit..." to the right of the monitor name at the top, then change the maximum "V rate" value from 60 to 61.
  • In CRU, under "Detailed resolutions", choose the 3840x2160 resolution, click Edit, and change the refresh rate near the bottom to 61Hz.
  • Run the restart64 utility provided with CRU to restart your Windows graphics system.
  • In the Windows display control panel, change the refresh rate to 61Hz. (In Windows 10, I did this at System > Display > Display adapter properties > Monitor tab > Screen refresh rate drop-down.)
  • In your mame.ini file, set waitvsync to 1.