Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Retroarch OpenGL & Resolution switching issue?  (Read 2960 times)

Nipedley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 12:22:06 pm
Retroarch OpenGL & Resolution switching issue?
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:45:30 am »
Hi everyone

I've found with Retroarch that using the D3D video driver, if I specify a custom resolution for a certain core (e.g. Megadrive) than I'm using for the GUI/desktop, it'll switch correctly to the new resolution and then back. If I'm using the GL video driver, it scales. Trying to switch to a bigger resolution (say 640x480i for gamecube), means I just get a quarter of the screen (as it's still 320x240)

Does anyone know any fixes/workarounds for this ? You could say just use D3D, but some of the cores require the GL driver in order to function

In this case I'm using the latest Retroarch 1.7.0, but also experienced this with 1.6.7

Many thanks!

Vaderman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2020, 07:57:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Retroarch OpenGL & Resolution switching issue?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:23:29 am »
The problem comes when you switch from interlaced to progresive or vicecersa. If you want to switch to a progresive mode in retroarch set your desktop resolution in progressive or the opposite. That is the only workaround I have found until someone fixes it.

Sorry for my bad english.

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 08:27:04 am »
Thanks for your reply, I've also found the problem in switching between progressive modes however?

For example my desktop/Retroarch GUI is using 320x240, and for Commodore 64 I set up a 384x282 mode, installed with VMMmaker. If I set Retroarch to use 384x282 for VICE, in OpenGL I get a scaled screen which doesn't fit, because it's still using 320x240. If I use D3D, it will change to the new resolution

Vaderman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2020, 07:57:11 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 04:16:18 pm »
In order to switch resolutions inside retroarch you need to set off the option "windowed fullscreen mode" inside video options and create a new config for each resolution you want.

Then you have to edit manually the .cfg file inside config folder with a text editor and change the parameters "video_fullscreen_x" and "video_fullscreen_y" and save it. For example:

video_fullscreen_x = "320"
video_fullscreen_y = "224"

Everytime you want change the resolution you have to load the desired config file manually, it won't work if you only load another core. I have had success with this method enven with opengl video driver.

Hope it works for you too.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:20:04 pm by Vaderman »

Nipedley

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 11:49:19 am »
Hi Vaderman

Thanks for the reply, you can have Retroarch automatically change resolution when you load a core. In my example, for my main retroarch.cfg, I have windowed fullscreen mode off as you suggested and I'm using 320x240 as retroarch's main resolution.

In the config folder you have a folder and config file for each core, and you can put video_fullscreen_x and y settings in these, and when loading a core Retroarch will automatically change resolution for you. In order to create the config files for each core you can load a game using the core and in the quick menu use the Retroarch 'save core overrides' option, it will create the config\core\core.cfg file and you can put in your custom resolution lines. In future when loading that core, retroarch will change resolution for you.

This all works fine for me under D3D, under GL it will always just display at desktop resolution - for me that's 320x240. I tried manually loading a config file as you suggested but it sitll won't change under GL for me.

My workaround is to have two shortcuts, one loading Retroarch with default config using d3d so most emulators work and can automatically change resolution, and another shortcut ("retroarch.exe --config retroarchgl.cfg") loading an alternate main config using GL instead, for those GL-dependent emulators. It means they can't change out of 320x240, but there's not too many. Maybe this'll get fixed eventually