Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: First build – 32 inch lcd wide body two player  (Read 2200 times)

JRIP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 12:46:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
First build – 32 inch lcd wide body two player
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:41:05 pm »
First question, how do you modify img tags to rotate the pictures?!??

Guys, its time to give back to the community.

Over the last two months I have been working on my first build and I was able to “complete” just before Christmas.

Goal of the build:
•   First build – don’t go wild
•   Use old 32 inch lcd screen – 720p
•   Use old dual core intel based computer
•   Two player controls – 6 buttons per player, plus coin/start and MAME control buttons
•   No leds
•   No paint, at least not yet
•   Cheap computer speakers for sound

End Result:

Design:
Profile was based on ChanceKJ Overambitious build plans with slight modifications for monitor height. Plywood is 5/8 one side sanded with takes it down to 19/32nds.

Monitor mount - it is an old Samsung 32 inch 720p lcd circa 2008. Mounted using cheap ledger board and plywood.

Frame is built by 2x4s

Controls are from RetroActive Arcade in Edmonton Alberta. http://retroactivearcade.ca/.
Controls are inexpensive zippy long joysticks and buttons.
I went with minipac controller. What a good upgrade for $12 to get the wiring harness instead of fussing around with wiring... and that is coming from an electrical engineer :-)

Sound:
I scored a free set of ten year old speakers off of Kijiji.

Speakers are mounted above the monitor, sub is down below.

Construction:
I glued and screwed where possible. Otherwise only glued. I was trying to avoid screws fro mthe outsie but gave up on that goal.

Controls are mounted with no mortise hinges:

For now, I'm just running with MAME until I can figure out some other front end setups.
Computer is mounted without a case under the controls.

Kids love it!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:46:39 pm by JRIP »