Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Car trouble: new engine descisions (solved)  (Read 4699 times)

knave

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2023, 03:32:33 pm
Car trouble: new engine descisions (solved)
« on: December 29, 2017, 07:15:09 pm »
The short version:

My truck has been diagnosed with a terminal illness. Metal shavings from the bearings in the oil. Its pretty much hosed.
It is a 2005 Ford F250 worth about $9k.

1. Dealership quoted $14,000 to $17,000 but could be more y'know how that crap adds up.
2. I've called two local shops who can put in a crate engine for $20,000, these will come with a 3 year warranty.
3. My local yard has a used engine I can Buy for $3000 and the same two shops can put it in for $4-5,000. But this is has some risk.
4. I can sell what's left for $3500 and find something else. Problem with this is that I will not be able to get a vehicle with the same amenities rather something simpler.

BTW I really don't want to blow my savings on this. So I'm pretty bummed. If anyone knows a good 5th option, I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:16:10 pm by knave »

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: Car trouble: new engine descisions
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »
Sell it. Buy a new truck.
%Bartop

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 07:39:23 pm »
Don't put 100% faith in that diagnosis. I had metal shavings in my last car and got 5 more years out of it. The timing chain was loose and rapping the inside of the engine casing. Replaced the chain tensioner and engine was good as new. Changed the oil a few times and the metal shavings went away. Car eventually died of catastrophic electrical issues, but engine still good to the end.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:14:16 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 08:21:11 pm »
All those solutions leave you with a truck worth less (or almost less) than you spent to fix it.  And depending on mileage, other issues might be on their way.

If you're truck is worth $9k when running, then you should be able to replace it with something similar for $9k, which is cheaper than almost all the options you listed.

Taking the $3.5k for your truck and applying it to a $9k truck would leave you in the same place you were before your truck broke down for a cost of $5.5k.
Although you'd likely want something newer/lower mileage that will last longer than what you had, there's some perspective there regarding what it's worth spending on the old truck.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 09:09:25 pm »
Get more estimates.
those prices seem high to me.
If you go with an engine from a scrap yard only get one from a truck with massive accident damage.
chances of it being good are high.

If it were me, i'd look for another truck on craigslist cheap for a donor engine and just swap them.
but that's just me.
I have the tools and know-how.

if you don't, do as he says.

Sell it. Buy a new truck.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 08:46:51 pm »
Those prices do seem awfully high. 20K for an engine???

JimmyU

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2024, 11:11:58 pm
  • I believe I can fly!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:25:38 pm »
I'm seeing new 5.4L engines on eBay for like $2,600 and rebuilt ones for $2,000. It should be around another $2,000 to put it in.

Edit: You might want to test your engine oil. If there's a super high amount of metal in it, that would indicate extreme amount of wear in your engine. Here's one that I know of that will test your oil for $28.
https://m.blackstone-labs.com
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 10:44:21 pm by JimmyU »

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »
Update: Its all over now.

But first...the two local shops I contacted both suggested a "Jasper" crate engine which runs about 14K but comes with a bunch of crap. I saw a few engines for 5k but still about 3-5 to install.
I probably would have gone with the pulll from the salvage yard but I needed to put a stop the the $$$ flow into this truck.
I wasn't going to put a gas engine in it because then I'd need to figure out transmission and transfer case and a bunch of other things.

Nope: I traded it today, got a little over $4k, Bought 2016 Ford Escape with 45k miles with a waranty.

In the end, My quality of life was worth the sacrifice. I will get another truck when I can...but for now I won't be stranded on the side of the road with my family...
...New car was under Blue book, had 4x4 and the larger turbo engine and was pretty new for me...2016 vs 2005 plus warranty. I bought the maintenance since I'm gonna take it to get the oil changed at the stealership anyway (costs 1/2 over pay as you go)

You decide...did I upgrade or downgrade?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Re: Car trouble: new engine descisions (solved)
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 09:06:44 am »
I'd say you upgraded. The peace of mind with your family is worth tons.
Ive been stranded by the road a few times before I had a cell phone. Luckily I was alone, if I had my kids it would have been real bad.
Good luck with your new vehicle. Although I am not a real big Ford fan, I did rent a Ford Escape once and it drove real good. Nice ride.

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 01:00:00 pm »
 :applaud:
%Bartop

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 01:49:32 pm »
Drive what you dig, bro. Drive what you dig.

All kidding aside, I'm with DaOld Man. Peace of mind is more important than anything else. I hope my '99 Explorer lasts 6 more months so I can trade it in.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 11:41:25 pm »
I tell my 9 & 11 yr old they are pushing if the car breaks down.
they don't find me funny.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 02:13:52 am »
I have done the "go ahead and put a new engine in with a warranty" thing a few times in the last 5 years, and in every case it didn't work out as planned.  You would think that a vehicle worth less than $10k couldn't have a whole lot of expensive serviceable parts once you have replaced the motor, right?  Not so much...

The math seems solid - take an otherwise good vehicle that you know drives well that broken would sell for, say, $3k, spend $8k to get a new motor, or sell it for scrap and spend $10-11k for a replacement that could blow up tomorrow and have untold issues you won't find for a few months.

Works out right up until you put that $8k motor in, only to find that it didn't replace the other $4k in pieces and parts on the motor, and as they fail after you spent the money, you end up spending a bit more.  Then something you wouldn't expect will go out, like power steering - there's another $1800. 

The reality is any older car has the potential to nickel and dime you no matter how much you spend fixing it up.  Just because you spend $5k fixing a $10k vehicle doesn't mean it won't nickel and dime you another $2k every year for ever...

In short, you made the right choice, especially given that it would have cost more for a motor with warranty than the truck was worth with the new motor...

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:12:04 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2018, 10:08:42 am »
I hope my '99 Explorer lasts 6 more months so I can trade it in.

For what?  $200?

My motto is to get rid of a car ASAP as soon as I feel like I can't trust it.  I've put up with unreliable ones.  Never again.

You made the right decision.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 10:58:26 am »
I hope my '99 Explorer lasts 6 more months so I can trade it in.

For what?  $200?

My motto is to get rid of a car ASAP as soon as I feel like I can't trust it.  I've put up with unreliable ones.  Never again.

You made the right decision.

I’d just be happy not having to look at it everyday anymore. They could give me a bagel with cream cheese for it and I’d be cool.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:21:05 am
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 11:05:15 am »
Donate it and get a tax credit. It is a good deal for a car that isn't worth anything. Around here they will even tow it away for you.

knave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 01:07:37 pm »
I nursed my previous truck along for years(88 Jeep Comanche). after I got the Full size I looked into donating it, selling it to Pick and Pull or just selling it for cheap.

Pick and pull offered me $380 for it. I kinda think any car that runs is worth something...so waited. Donating didn't seem to be much better. So a local Mechanic wanted it. I sold it to him for $800. Was happy.

But We "gave" the dealership my Wife's old (2000) VW Bug for $500 just to be rid of it when we bought her new car in 2014. So I guess I'm a sucker for convenience.

In a few more days I'll give a quick review of a 2016 ford escape se 4x4.