Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Nooby needs some help with Retropie  (Read 3316 times)

DFW2017

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2017, 09:26:47 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Nooby needs some help with Retropie
« on: December 29, 2017, 03:57:40 pm »
I've searched as best I can, and it has gotten me this far. However, I'm running into a few issues and can't see to locate the answers I need.  Thus, here is my situation:
I have installed Retropie, and it boots fine.  The system does not recognize my custom CP, so I hold a button and walk through the Player 1 side. Oddly, this happens every time I turn on the RPi. Question 1: Is that normal?
Question 2: How do I program Player 2 controls?  If editing of a file is required, please spell it out as in great detail as I feel like I'm already in the deep end!

I have some ROMs, and copied them to a USB. I inserted said USB into the RPi, and fired it up.  I waited a while, turned the system off and removed the USB.  Fired the system back up and Emulation Station did not show any Emulators and/or Games. 
Question 3: Did I do something wrong in the ROM copying process?
Question 4: Can I copy one ROM at a time, or do I need to copy a .zip/.rar massive file with many ROMs inside?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but those should get me started.  Thanks!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: Nooby needs some help with Retropie
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 04:39:07 pm »
How is your cp conected? What encoder are you using?

As for the roms I always copy them over the network its much quicker and easier!

DFW2017

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 05:04:23 pm »
CP buttons and joysticks connected to an ipac2, which is connected to the Pi via the USB cable. 

I would prefer the USB transfer method. Am I doing it wrong?

DFW2017

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 10:57:21 pm »
I ended up transferring the files via wifi.

Now I just need help having the Player 2 joystick and buttons recognized.  Any suggestions?

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:07:51 am »
Format a USB stick to FAT32 and create a folder 'retropie'. Then plug it in the RPi and wait a short while. Then plug the USB stick back in your computer and place the ROMs in the right folder under /retropie/roms/[specific-emulator]. Then plug the stick back in the RPi.
https://github.com/retropie/retropie-setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms

You can also run the files from the USB stick. Why & how: https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive

Regarding your ipac issues, check this: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/13585/ipac2-player-2-question/2

DFW2017

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 06:59:12 am »
Thanks for the links.

If I configure my CP as follows, would I need to define 1B, 2A, 2B if I wanted to use them as admin buttons? Or would they functions as such by default? I would have to add them to the CP,but better to do it now then later!

input_player1_a = alt
input_player1_b = ctrl
input_player1_y = shift
input_player1_x = space
input_player1_start = num1
input_player1_select = num5
input_player1_l = z
input_player1_r = x
input_player1_left = left
input_player1_right = right
input_player1_up = up
input_player1_down = down

input_player2_a = s
input_player2_b = a
input_player2_y = w
input_player2_x = q
input_player2_start = num2
input_player2_select = num6
input_player2_l = i
input_player2_r = k
input_player2_left = d
input_player2_right = g
input_player2_up = r
input_player2_down = f

Thanks again

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 03:08:05 pm »
No buttons work by default in retropie.
You have to configure them all in ES or retroarch.

If you need to set special admin functions you will have to do that in the retroarch back end.

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 07:50:39 am »
As far as I'm aware there is no auto copy function from USB to the pi's memory card (although I wish their was). Inserting the USB in to the pi simply tells the pi that there are games on the USB stick and after its done getting the relevant information and it reboots you will have an updated games list. You are essentially playing from the USB drive now.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 09:35:28 am »
As far as I'm aware there is no auto copy function from USB to the pi's memory card (although I wish their was). Inserting the USB in to the pi simply tells the pi that there are games on the USB stick and after its done getting the relevant information and it reboots you will have an updated games list. You are essentially playing from the USB drive now.
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms vs https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive

I thought the first was to physically transfer the roms from USB to RPi. The second one indeed it to run them from USB. Difference between the two is /retropie vs /retropie-mount. Never tested it with the first in a long while though.

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 09:41:25 am »

Actually it does automatically check and copy any roms it finds on the USB stick in the retropie/roms /etc sub-folders that are different from the ones already uploaded - so by placing the roms on the USB stick and plugging the USB into the RPI - it checks for newly added files in the roims folders and will auto sync the files to the rpi's sd card. ( it does not delete any that are on the pi and not on the usb stick but does copy any that are on the USB stick but not yet on the pi.)

ivwshane

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 03:06:22 pm »
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms vs https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive

I thought the first was to physically transfer the roms from USB to RPi. The second one indeed it to run them from USB. Difference between the two is /retropie vs /retropie-mount. Never tested it with the first in a long while though.

Interesting. It didn't do that the last time I tried it. I'm using recalbox so I wonder if that is the issue.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2019, 03:23:58 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2018, 06:28:47 am »

Actually it does automatically check and copy any roms it finds on the USB stick in the retropie/roms /etc sub-folders that are different from the ones already uploaded - so by placing the roms on the USB stick and plugging the USB into the RPI - it checks for newly added files in the roims folders and will auto sync the files to the rpi's sd card. ( it does not delete any that are on the pi and not on the usb stick but does copy any that are on the USB stick but not yet on the pi.)

This is true. It copies them BUT you have to wait some time if you transfer a lot of files. Plug the USB drive, and let the console be on for a while, If you try to restart it it will show some roms at the time, so take your time and just wait. Then restart Emulationstation and you should see all roms.

I did this 2 weeks ago as my sd card corrupted and i installed a fresh Retropie.