Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: cryptocurrency  (Read 41979 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: cryptocurrency
« Reply #80 on: January 18, 2018, 04:43:18 pm »
I have read enough to know that he is a nut, a fraud, or both. I Googled his Xiaou2 screen name awhile back. He used to post on some martial arts forum. He kept telling people he was some kung fu master, but he couldn't fight anyone because he would kill them. ::)

Sounds about right.

And I am being completely honest and sincere when I say that next to PBJ, he is the guy I wish I could get to come to ZapCon the most (I know you’re coming homeslice, you don’t count).

I say this without any irony or sarcasm.  If you get those two to come and Malenko I will somehow find a way to get there.  If nothing else I have to film it. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 07:48:25 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #81 on: January 18, 2018, 04:53:15 pm »
I have read enough to know that he is a nut, a fraud, or both. I Googled his Xiaou2 screen name awhile back. He used to post on some martial arts forum. He kept telling people he was some kung fu master, but he couldn't fight anyone because he would kill them. ::)

Sounds about right.

And I am being completely honest and sincere when I say that next to PBJ, he is the guy I wish I could get to come to ZapCon the most (I know you’re coming homeslice, you don’t count).

I say this without any irony or sarcasm.  If you get those two to come and Malenko I will somehow find a way to get there.  If nothing else I have to film it.

PBJ is a probably, I don't know what the hell Malenko is doing, and right now Steve is just a pipe dream, I’m sure.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2018, 05:18:26 pm »
The answer to that question changes daily, I'm afraid.  Vamos a ver.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2018, 06:49:10 pm »
I've already been once, but I'd totally go again to clown on x2 in person and hang out with PBJ

PBJ is a , I don't know what the hell Malenko is doing, and right now Steve is just a crack pipe dream, I’m sure.
I'm still an unwaivering maybe ; If I go, Mrs.Malenko will be there too.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2018, 11:38:02 pm »
The answer to that question changes daily, I'm afraid.  Vamos a ver.

I got enough cockteasing in HS, bro. Make it happen.

I got your ticket, MikeA has your room, Neph will pick you up and take you to the airport, and you can eat peanuts in the Atari lounge so you won’t starve. Just sell off your Ethereum and buy a plane ticket and we’re solid.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2018, 02:01:56 am »
We'll figure it out one of these years.  I want all the old timers in one place, even if it's only once.  Maybe get Saint to come.... he can wear his pac-man suit.  ;)

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2018, 10:05:50 am »
This headline pretty much sums up my thoughts on cryptocurrencies...

yotsuya

• Online Online

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:21:49 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2018, 09:43:52 am »
What's funny about all the hype (on ANY speculation) is that you hear about huge gains. X was this price in 2012, and now it is 20 times that price. Psychologically we think 'Man, some people must be rolling in it now and I missed the boat'. The thing is, almost no one will have been in from the get-go to this point in time. You can bet 90% of people currently holding whatever it is bought it at 19.5 times the original price in the last month or so. People jump out for many reasons and at many profit margins. So there are a stack of steps from 2012 to now. And each step is people selling out, and others buying in. Maybe the actual average profit, instead of being 2000%, is actually 5%. Not bad at all if you had it for a month or so, but nothing to write home about...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 09:45:28 am by danny_galaga »

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

dkersten

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #89 on: January 31, 2018, 10:31:32 am »
What's funny about all the hype (on ANY speculation) is that you hear about huge gains. X was this price in 2012, and now it is 20 times that price. Psychologically we think 'Man, some people must be rolling in it now and I missed the boat'. The thing is, almost no one will have been in from the get-go to this point in time. You can bet 90% of people currently holding whatever it is bought it at 19.5 times the original price in the last month or so. People jump out for many reasons and at many profit margins. So there are a stack of steps from 2012 to now. And each step is people selling out, and others buying in. Maybe the actual average profit, instead of being 2000%, is actually 5%. Not bad at all if you had it for a month or so, but nothing to write home about...
A few months back though there were a lot of people who had forgotten they had some bitcoin and suddenly heard it was worth 10 or 15 thousand dollars, but it certainly wasn't like they knew they had it and were holding out for it to reach $15k.  If they had discovered they had it when it hit $1k they probably dumped it.  And the fact is, if bitcoin ever hits $30-40k, there will be another wave of hype and people will discover more coins they didn't realize they had.  Otherwise I completely agree, anyone who is even a little aware of what is going on is not sitting on bitcoin that cost them 3 cents waiting for it to hit $20k...

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2018, 02:25:19 am »
A few months back though there were a lot of people who had forgotten they had some bitcoin and suddenly heard it was worth 10 or 15 thousand dollars, but it certainly wasn't like they knew they had it and were holding out for it to reach $15k.  If they had discovered they had it when it hit $1k they probably dumped it.  And the fact is, if bitcoin ever hits $30-40k, there will be another wave of hype and people will discover more coins they didn't realize they had.  Otherwise I completely agree, anyone who is even a little aware of what is going on is not sitting on bitcoin that cost them 3 cents waiting for it to hit $20k...

I doubt there really were a LOT of people. For a commodity (even a pretend one) to increase in value over time requires lots of transactions and lots of volume. If say no one EVER sold their bitcoins, ever, but only bought them what is the value of a bitcoin? There is of course the 'founder' of bitcoin where apparently he holds billions of dollars worth but no one knows who it is etc. If that story is true, then I would say he died. People die all the time due to accidents or ill health and leave behind stuff no one knows what to do with.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #91 on: February 01, 2018, 02:49:12 am »
I bought some bitcoin because of what Clif High said about it at 47:00. I don't know half of me thinks it will go down before it goes up but in long term I think it will work out.

yotsuya

• Online Online
cryptocurrency
« Reply #92 on: February 01, 2018, 09:29:08 am »
Yes, it’s always a good idea to take your financial advice from some Dude’s YouTube channel. Especially when he’s sitting in front of his Batman posters.

Keep us updated. I will live vicariously through you.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: February 01, 2018, 05:19:30 pm »
ow no I did it again I bought 5.5 in Ethereum. I got lucky... I think in the last 3 weeks I have been watching Ethereum I have noticed the market really seems to like it at $1000 it goes up to 1200 and than back down to 1025. As we know I sold it for around 1010 so I am just not going to buy back in for more than I sold that's how you lose money; but I was like if it ever goes back down around 960 I will hope back in. Today I was sitting there watching GDAX and it finally went back down to 1025 and I had $1500 sitting in my Gdax so I was like I will buy 1 coin, if it goes back up to 1100 I will make something but if it does drop more into the 900 range I am buying more coins. I put in a buy order for the rest of my $500 for .5 ETH at 955 next hour i looked over and my order was filled and it was continuing to drop now in the 940 - 930 range. I was like aw man what do I do I have been waiting on this for a while; I was like ok I will buy 4 more coins and if it continues to drop into the 800 range I will buy another 5 coins. I did not have the money in my GDAX account so I had to use coinbase and they charge a fee I bought 4 coins at 941 but with the fee you can say they ended up being 955 each. Soon as I clicked purchased the price shot back up it is now going between 1000- to 1025 range

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #94 on: February 02, 2018, 04:02:03 am »
A friend of mine has been playing with cryptocurrency for a few months and what he did was buy in to coin with £880 worth then set an alert for over £1000 and another for under £900 he sells at over and buys it at the under. Because of the swings in crypto it didnt take long to  double his money so he then bought another coin giving him 2 coins  He repeated the procedure for another month and had enough for 4 coins so cashed out the original coin and the rest he now sees as gambling money :) To give you some idea of the money made in short term Etherium was 654 on christmas eve and on 13th jan it hit 1360, that is 100% profit in 21 days.  But you do have to see it as gambling, if you can't afford to lose it then do not put it in.  His recommendation is see what etherium does over the next week and if the swings continue then buy under 1000 and sell over 1100 (10% profit every few days) eventually the bottom will drop out though so never put in more than you can afford to lose.     

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2018, 10:49:29 pm »
Watching this whole cryptocurrency craze is fascinating, but is anyone actually using these things for anything but a speculative investment?

IOW, is there any real utility attached to these things beyond hoping they spike in prices so that one can liquidate in favor of more stable assets?

I understand that underlying blockchain technology can have utility and that there are various applications.  But as a currency, it seems to fail on the very basic premises of what a currency is supposed to act as: medium of exchange* and store of value.  So what use are these things really?

(* I suppose besides use in dark markets, although even that is apparently running into problems due to high transaction costs and transaction wait times.)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 10:51:37 pm by shponglefan »

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2018, 11:04:00 pm »
Nothing it is just like when everyone invested in the 90’s that had a .com in the name, Why? Because they new the internet would be great and wanted to get into it in anyway possible even prematurely. Alot of people think this is going to change finance on a global scale even though it is not doing that right now. I also thought the internet would change everything back in the 90’s I think VR will change everything but the Blockchain database is neat but I have yet to see the example personally where I am like this is going to change everything.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2018, 10:32:56 am »
well I was up all that night as it was tanking and ended up buying another 5 coins after fee lets say around 910 giving me 10.5 coins for a total investment this time of $9877.79. I was a little nervous not going to lie but I still believe it wants to be at $1000. Woke up this morning and it was 990.  :) Hmmm sold it all for 10405.83. I am going to try to get some day trading in, I think it will fall back down 40..50...60? when we are talking about 10.5 coins thats alot of extra $

yotsuya

• Online Online

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2018, 12:59:23 pm »
Watching this whole cryptocurrency craze is fascinating, but is anyone actually using these things for anything but a speculative investment?

IOW, is there any real utility attached to these things beyond hoping they spike in prices so that one can liquidate in favor of more stable assets?

^^^ this guy gets it

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2018, 02:12:19 pm »
Nothing it is just like when everyone invested in the 90’s that had a .com in the name, Why? Because they new the internet would be great and wanted to get into it in anyway possible even prematurely. Alot of people think this is going to change finance on a global scale even though it is not doing that right now. I also thought the internet would change everything back in the 90’s I think VR will change everything but the Blockchain database is neat but I have yet to see the example personally where I am like this is going to change everything.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd draw the comparison with the dot-com/tech boom of the 90's.

The fundamental difference to me is that during the 90's tech boom, not many people were calling BS on it.  And that's the hallmark of a bubble; nobody knows they're in a bubble until it pops.

Meanwhile, loads of people are calling BS on cryptocurrency.  In a way, it feels more like a collectibles market than a financial market bubble.  Kind of like Beanie Babies or comic books of the 90's all over again.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2018, 05:03:41 pm »
What do you mean it was a bubble because everyone claiming to be the next big .com company was getting investment money thrown at them hand over foot even though they were not actually doing anything of importance or actual usefulness, it is exactly the same thing.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2018, 11:30:57 am »
it did drop from when I sold it all at 991, in fact that was it's highest point, I was out and about most of Saturday but was still looking at it, I wanted to get back in at 941, it hit that for a few seconds during the day but most of the time it was at 960. That night I was like screw it I will put in for 5 coins at 941, if it jumps up than screw it. In the morning it was at 880 so I bought 5 more coins at 882 plus the 5 that were now bought at 941

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2018, 11:43:07 am »
It’s at 872 now. Go buy more.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2018, 01:53:17 pm »
Oops, I meant 857.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2018, 04:06:07 pm »
Go all in bro. Sell your house.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2018, 05:46:32 pm »
843. We having fun yet???

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2018, 05:50:58 pm »
Holy ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, that’s fast. As I went to close the browser window, it dropped to 839.

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2018, 05:51:42 pm »
Did I say 839?

danny_galaga

• Offline Offline
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2018, 04:39:14 am »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:33 am »
under 8 now
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2018, 10:27:01 am »
Ouch.  10 years ago it was all, "I'm gonna get rich flipping houses" and now it's cryptocurrency.  Wonder what the next fad will be....

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2018, 12:14:59 pm »

Can we get into the 6s today???

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2018, 12:21:37 pm »
Well that crash happened a bit sooner than was expected I'll find out how my friend fared tomorrow :)

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2018, 01:35:22 pm »
Sell, Mortimer, sell!!!!

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2018, 01:36:54 pm »
Ride the dip, baby!!!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2018, 02:15:31 pm »
+100 non-existent rep for the Trading Places references. 

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #117 on: February 05, 2018, 02:59:21 pm »
+100 non-existent rep for the Trading Places references.

Beef jerky time!

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #118 on: February 05, 2018, 03:01:31 pm »
Holy crap dude, please tell me you cashed out... we might be in the 5s by end of day...

yotsuya

• Online Online
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2018, 03:03:29 pm »

Bitcoin might be in the 5s as well...