Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sony Trinitron TV, flickering on interlaced modes  (Read 4191 times)

spacorn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sony Trinitron TV, flickering on interlaced modes
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:23:38 pm »
Hello everyone

My TV is a NTSC Sony Trinitron KV-29FA540. I use the "NTSC 60hz" preset for EDID emulation. I tried the "Generic 15khz" but the results are the same.
I just upgraded from using an AMD Radeon R5 230 to a AMD Radreon R7 240, and updated crt-emudriver from beta 10 non-GCN to beta 12 GCN, over the same Windows 7 setup (just removed the old driver and installed the new one).

It's been awhile since I've used this setup, but I feel like the flicker I used to get on interlaced modes has gotten worse since the upgrade... (Progressive resolutions work beautifully though).

Is it possible that either the change of videocard or crt-emudriver version could have affected the result?  Or am I just noticing it more now? :P

Regardless, what are some methods people have used to successfully get a clean 480i image out of similar setups? So far, I've read other threads like and following this I tried playing a bit adjusting the "V total" value on the "Arcade OSD" tool, but I haven't been able to get a noticeable improvement yet.

The frustrating thing is I get a very clean and beautiful image on 480i on this same TV when connecting DVD players and the Playstation 2 through component cables...

What else can I do to try fixing it?

Any leads would be very appreciated!

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 12:18:09 am by spacorn »

Overkill

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 12:53:20 pm
Re: Sony Trinitron TV, flickering on interlaced modes
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 05:52:16 am »
Since [CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 11 the flicker is back, read this:

CRT Tools - Fall whiners update

NEW!: Windows Interlace Patcher 1.0. New tool that attempts to fix, once and for all, the infamous halved refresh issue affecting legacy (pre HD-5000) AMD cards.

[24/11/2017][CRT Emudriver 2.0][CRT Tools 2.0][beta 11]

- [Emudriver]  Disabled deflicker filter for interlaced modes. Now your interlaced modes will look perfectly sharp, with all their genuine flicker intact.

- [VMMaker]    Fixed bug that caused CRT Emudriver not being detected under Windows XP.

- [VMMaker]    Added new preset for 15/31 kHz dual-sync monitor.

[24/11/2017]ATOM-15 v1.4

- Fixed bug that caused wrong checksum correction in some cases.

haynor666

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2024, 03:20:27 am
  • retro maniac
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 06:06:55 am »
spacorn, use older drivers.

spacorn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2022, 10:46:45 am
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 02:28:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I should've started by checking the changelog of recent versions...

Unfortunately the main crt-emudriver thread only has the latest version available (and while I kept the beta 10 I used on my older card, that was for a non-GCN card and the new one is GCN), but I guess I shall go ask on the right place for that.

edit: nevermind, I got it!   ;D
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 05:09:58 am by spacorn »

Sledge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 25, 2022, 05:22:55 am
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 05:21:35 pm »

I just upgraded from using an AMD Radeon R5 230
Is this low profile?
If so where are you?

Mad A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2018, 03:38:03 pm
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 06:41:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies! I should've started by checking the changelog of recent versions...

Unfortunately the main crt-emudriver thread only has the latest version available (and while I kept the beta 10 I used on my older card, that was for a non-GCN card and the new one is GCN), but I guess I shall go ask on the right place for that.

edit: nevermind, I got it!   ;D

Where did you find it? I'd like to download a copy as well :)

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi