Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: [Solved] How do I get Windows 10 to detect an old PS/2 ipac2 board?  (Read 6277 times)

Fidelio

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2018, 07:47:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi everyone!

I recently resumed work on a long-suspended arcade controller project and am at the stage where I'm ready to hookup my keyboard encoder.  I found my old ipac2 board I purchased back in 2011, and am trying to test it before wiring up buttons and joysticks.  The board has a PS/2 interface, and I've hooked it up via a passive PS/2 adapter and USB cable (PS/2 male -> USB A female, with USB A male to A male cable).

Unfortunately, my Windows 10 computer isn't detecting the board at all, and I consequently can't reprogram it or even test its default configuration by viewing key-presses in a text editor.  When programming, the WinIPAC tool reports "Failed to program device. Try reinstall with board connected and/or reboot" whether I have the board connected or not.

Is there any additional configuration needed with the OS or the board's jumpers for this to work?  Here is a list of things I've checked/tried thus far.

• Reinstalled WinIPAC and rebooted with board connected
  • Run WinIPAC in Windows 7 compatibility mode, and as administrator
  • Used mulitmeter to confirmed that passive PS/2->USB adapter has correct pinout as per http://www.ultimarc.com/ipacusb.html
  • Uninstalled and disconnected existing "USB Composite Device" (web camera) prior to testing
  • Removed all hidden/non-present USB devices via Device Manager

I've had this board in storage for just over 6 years now, and I'm wondering if I may have damaged it.  However, it it does receive power and go through its bootstrapping (LED flashes then stays solid green).
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:41:25 pm by Fidelio »

JamesTKirk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2018, 09:09:02 pm
  • Boldly go .....
Re: How do I get Windows 10 to detect an old ipac2 board?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 02:20:58 am »
 If I was you, I would first try to determine if a regular PS2 keyboard will work attached with the ps2 to USB adapter in windows 10 on the machine you're using.  If the PS2 keyboard will work then you know that Windows 10 is not the problem.  If the PS2 keyboard will not work then you know that until you get it working you will probably never be able to get the iPac to work.  Have you tried connecting a PS2 keyboard with the USB adapter to the windows 10 box?

Fidelio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 02:34:19 pm »
Have you tried connecting a PS2 keyboard with the USB adapter to the windows 10 box?

Thank you for the feedback!

Unfortunately, it will be difficult to find an old PS/2 keyboard -- I don't think I know anyone who may have one lying around :)

I did test the device on a RetroPie installation for a Raspberry Pi Model B -- same result; no characters generated when shorting the input terminals to ground.  At this point, I'm starting to think that either PS/2 adapter is faulty, the USB cable, or the board itself.

On a side note, I've ordered a second adapter (PS/2 male to USB A male), which will remove the need for the USB A male to male cable too.  I'll have more testing data once that component arrives.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 02:55:06 pm »
I suspect that the problem may lie with the adapter.

I have had this problem with a actual keyboard before where it just would not work with a adapter but worked fine when plugged into another computer directly.

Only other thing I can think of and I apologise for it sounding daft but Have ypu checked its plugged into the correct port on the board? I remember there being 2?

postmortem

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2020, 10:58:40 am
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 06:19:50 pm »
It's been a while since I've messed with the ipac and ps/2 port configuration, but doesn't the ipac require a ps/2 keyboard to be plugged into it in order for it to work when plugged into the PC?
Cabs: Tron, MKII, MK4, KI2, Blitz99, TMNT, Pac-Mania, Defender, Mame Box.
PCBs: MK1, UMK3, Killer Instinct, Area51, Sunset Riders, Pit Fighter, Wargods.
Pins: Bride of PinBot, Attack from Mars, The Shadow

Fidelio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »

I suspect the same too as the USB cable works as expected in other applications.

I realized today that the adapter is really one for converting USB devices to use with a PS/2 port.  The pin-out and continuity test shows that the PS/2 pins are connected to the appropriate USB pins, which is confusing.  I'll see what happens when I get my proper PS/2 -> USB converter in a couple of days.

Only other thing I can think of and I apologise for it sounding daft but Have ypu checked its plugged into the correct port on the board? I remember there being 2?

No worries -- thank you for being thorough!  There are two PS/2 terminals, and I am indeed connecting to the "PC USB/KB" terminal.  The other is for keyboard pass-through to PC.

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 03:51:06 am »

There is information on this subject on www.ultimarc.com/ipacusb.html

If this does not help I can try to help via email: andy@ultimarc.com

Fidelio

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 10:41:03 pm »

Confirmed that this was indeed the problem.  Windows 10 properly detected the board when I used a PS/2 male-to-male cable and a PS/2 female-to-USB A adapter.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and advice!

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: [Solved] How do I get Windows 10 to detect an old PS/2 ipac2 board?
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2017, 03:33:10 am »

Confirmed that this was indeed the problem.  Windows 10 properly detected the board when I used a PS/2 male-to-male cable and a PS/2 female-to-USB A adapter.

Thanks to everyone for your patience and advice!

Glad you are sorted :)