Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: HP is doing some kind of crazy ink scheme... let's abuse it!  (Read 3298 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
HP is doing some kind of crazy ink scheme... let's abuse it!
« on: November 27, 2019, 02:57:23 am »
Kotaku of all places had this bit of info posted. 

So Best Buy has this pos inket printer on sale for 20 bucks:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-deskjet-2680-wireless-all-in-one-printer-with-10-of-instant-ink-included-white/6363146.p?ref=8575135&skuId=6363146

Instead of buying ink when you run out, they have an auto refill system where you pay by the page instead.  If you put this printer in their plan selections, one of them is 15 pages a month for free:

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/r/plans/edit

That doesn't sound like a lot, but assuming you have another printer (preferably a laser printer) to do your black and white printing, 15 pages for pictures/labels/whatever that you want in color would probably be enough for most people. 

This seems like a really stupid business venture on their part..... I thought I would mention it in case anyone wants to try it out. 

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:11:30 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
Re: HP is doing some kind of crazy ink scheme... let's abuse it!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 12:13:45 pm »
Kotaku of all places had this bit of info posted. 

So Best Buy has this pos inket printer on sale for 20 bucks:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-deskjet-2680-wireless-all-in-one-printer-with-10-of-instant-ink-included-white/6363146.p?ref=8575135&skuId=6363146

Instead of buying ink when you run out, they have an auto refill system where you pay by the page instead.  If you put this printer in their plan selections, one of them is 15 pages a month for free:

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/r/plans/edit

That doesn't sound like a lot, but assuming you have another printer (preferably a laser printer) to do your black and white printing, 15 pages for pictures/labels/whatever that you want in color would probably be enough for most people. 

This seems like a really stupid business venture on their part..... I thought I would mention it in case anyone wants to try it out.

I actually saw the deal via slickdeals and placed an order because my current printer is starting to have issues. I mainly use my printer to print ebay shipping labels or scan/print rebate forms so thought this would be the perfect solution. Bought one and it's being delivered today.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2019, 04:22:56 pm »
I'll stick to my laser printer. The pages come out feeling like warm sheets from the dryer.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2024, 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2019, 07:10:34 pm »
I'll stick to my laser printer. The pages come out feeling like warm sheets from the dryer.

I just got one because my 3rd inkjet in almost as many yrs died when I needed it.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2019, 10:57:19 pm »
have not owned an ink printer in over 10 years, this ink scam has always been obvious. I don't need much printed, I can just print at work.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:11:30 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 09:45:12 am »
have not owned an ink printer in over 10 years, this ink scam has always been obvious. I don't need much printed, I can just print at work.

For large qty. prints, I do too. But for a quickie shipping label, it's nice to have the convenience to print it at home and not have to make a special trip across town just to print 1 page. For $20, if it last a couple years, it will pay for itself in just my gas/time.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 08:28:04 pm »
Tempted....but after getting screwed for years with HPs evaporating ink, I just can't bring myself to buy another HP printer.
They'll find some way to screw me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2019, 11:41:16 pm »
My only concern is what about when the ink dries up?  I rarely run out of ink, rather I have the carts dry out on me.  Still haven't pulled the trigger... I want to find some reviews but I've been super busy the last couple of days.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2024, 12:27:45 am
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2019, 09:52:47 pm »
ink should not dry up unless they designed them to dry up. Does your pen ink dry up? That's the hole scam constantly making you run out and buy $60 ink packets that cost them a buck to manufacturer REGARDLESS of how often you print. You print a lot a chip will say you ran low on a color and need to replace you don't print at all well now they are just old so you need to replace.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 09:55:43 pm by fallacy »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2019, 10:18:27 pm »
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make man.  That companies are dishonest?  We ALL know that, you aren't opening anyone's eyes.  I'm not sure what that has to do with this conversation.

If push comes to shove I can just print 15 full color photos a month to ensure that all the ink gets used up.... I just hate to do that. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:40:39 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 03:17:59 pm »
after getting sick of dried up stinky inkjet, I bought an HP B/W laser multifunction from the thrift store for $14 about 12 years ago now. put 3 new toners in it since then (probably close to 15,000 prints) only just recently started running out again. so instead of spending another 50 bucks on a new toner, I decided to see what I could get by way of color laser.

all the new stuff is stupid expensive or cheap and locked by chips from refilling or buying reman carts.

ended up picking up from the government surplus, a Leximark MS415DN with 2 extra paper trays, a recent (within the last 500 prints) imaging service kit.... and with more prints left on the colors than I ever got out of all the inkjet printers I ever owned in my entire life combined....

for $40

OEM carts are like 100 (aftermarket and kits to refill are 60) and all the colors are indiviualized. so I needn't buy a 3 in one for friggin yellow. so I think i'll keep it around for a while....at least until it needs another service kit or something.

the only thing i think coulda beat this printer would be one of those wax dye sub Tektronix Phaser 840/850 printers they where selling that had free black ink. just giving it away...when you bought a color...they give you a couple black in the box too. if you bought black dunno why?...there was a couple more free black in there too! you'd print out sheets of 100% black just to use it up! people who have these printers have storage closets FULL of ink blocks. there is just no way to use it all up.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 03:34:06 pm »
My only concern is what about when the ink dries up?  I rarely run out of ink, rather I have the carts dry out on me.  Still haven't pulled the trigger... I want to find some reviews but I've been super busy the last couple of days.

Bestbuy went back to $60 for that printer - but
Walmart has the HP2640 for $24 with the same $10 coupon also - https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-DeskJet-2640-All-in-One-Wireless-Color-Inkjet-Printer-White-Teal-Instant-Ink-Ready/653264419

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 07:11:57 pm »
Yeah they've got that one in our physical store.... I'd kind of like to see a picture of a color photo printed with one... I've got a b&w laser printer that I'm very happy with... this would only be for pics and graphics.