Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Anyone have battery soldering tricks?  (Read 2315 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:42:45 pm
Anyone have battery soldering tricks?
« on: December 20, 2017, 03:09:34 pm »
One of the NES carts I'm giving my nephew for Christmas has a battery backup (Adventure of Link).
I'd like to install a fresh battery before giving it to him.  The reviews for batteries with tabs already attached make me leery of them.
I think I'm better off with a fresh name brand one.

I seem to end up soldering to coin cell batteries a few times a year, so I'm not new to it.  (just did the cmos battery in my laptop last month)
Basically, I scuff up the battery with sandpaper, apply liquid flux with a pen, solder the wire or tab, then try to solder that to the battery.
Getting it to stick always seems to take too long and the battery always gets hotter than I'd like.
Is there some trick to doing this that I don't know about?  (aside from using an ultra$onic welder)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:11:18 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Anyone have battery soldering tricks?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 03:13:49 pm »
You know, surprisingly, the batteries on my Zelda carts are still fine, and I bought them new BITD.  I even lost one of them in a snow storm when I was a kid, only to find it a couple of days later.  Do the batteries really wear out that often, or is it just a preventative measure?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 04:52:47 pm »
You know, surprisingly, the batteries on my Zelda carts are still fine, and I bought them new BITD.  I even lost one of them in a snow storm when I was a kid, only to find it a couple of days later.  Do the batteries really wear out that often, or is it just a preventative measure?

Preventative.  I don't want him to lose progress on the game because the battery failed.
I opened the cartridge up, but I've been so busy lately that I can't remember if I measured the voltage on the battery already there.
I would think a 30 year old battery would be suspect.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 05:00:55 pm »
I could never reliably solder to a battery.  You've got enough room in the cartridge case that you could run two rig wires to a battery holder and hide it all internally.....

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Saim-Plastic-CR2032-Battery-Sockets/dp/B00SUVK6FK/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513807382&sr=1-7&keywords=Cr2032+battery+case
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 05:04:23 pm by pbj »

kane916

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:01:30 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 04:45:15 am »
pbj thats a great idea. idk why I never thought of that. I thought about replacing some batteries (just as preventative) before but my normal soldering sucks let alone trying on a battery. Will keep those in mind.    :cheers:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 10:58:48 am »
The battery was still above 3v and I came across a post in another forum stating that the sram in the cartridge is probably good down to as low as 1.5v, so I'm not bothering with it.  The drain is so low that according to their calculations, the battery could theoretically last 70 years.  No idea if all their assumptions are correct, but it should be good for a few years to come anyway.

I'm still interested in tricks to soldering batteries if there are any.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:58:32 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 11:21:23 am »
I've had to replace a few over the years... the Legend of Zelda battery made it almost 30 years.  Mystic Quest made it about 10.  Seems like I had to do was mention to a few friends that I had bought replacement batteries and they quickly disappeared.

:dunno

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 01:33:58 pm »
Do NOT try to solder on a button cell.  It will explode. (experience talking here)...  You can get those batteries with the soldering tabs already spot-welded very inexpensively.  Most likely at the local battery store, worst case, E-bay or Amazon.