Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Trick to start 4 player game on Windows MAME?  (Read 4848 times)

quasar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2018, 03:30:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Trick to start 4 player game on Windows MAME?
« on: December 20, 2017, 12:48:48 pm »
I'm having trouble starting the game as any player after inserting coins on a 4 player game on MAME for Windows (Gauntlet, for example).  I'm wondering if I am missing something obvious.  Some details: 

- I downloaded MAME 0.185 from mamedev.org and installed it on a Windows 10 Pro computer
- The roms are 0.185 roms
- I have a 4 player pedestal system with an ipac
- I've checked all the buttons assigned to the ipac and they are the default for MAME (player1 start = 1, player2 start = 2, player3 start = 3, player4 start = 4)
- In MAME, I confirmed in the general config that player 1 start - player 4 start is 1 - 4.  If I remap the inputs by pressing the start buttons, they map the same (1 - 4).
- The start buttons work in 2 player games
- The game specific config for 4 player games all seem to be missing the ability to set player1 start - player4 start.  Coin1 - 4 are there, but not start1-4.

It seems as if the default MAME config is correct, but the 4 player games are missing the keymaps for the start buttons and then overriding the general config.  Adding the start button keymaps manually for a game in the cfg file doesn't help, as it is wiped out when a game starts.  I can duplicate this on multiple Windows machines (download 0.185 from mamedev.org and use 0.185 roms).  Start Gauntlet, insert coins for all 4 players, try joining as any player by pressing 1, 2, 3 or 4.

I tried versions MAME 0.186 - 0.190 and have the same issue.  0.191 and later complain that the roms are not valid (I did not update them).  Is this a known issue with MAME for Windows or am I just missing something obvious.  Google has been unable to help me on this one.  Perhaps I should try an older version? 

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:29:59 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Trick to start 4 player game on Windows MAME?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 01:02:29 pm »
I'm having trouble starting the game as any player after inserting coins on a 4 player game on MAME for Windows (Gauntlet, for example).
In Gauntlet, player button 2 doubles as Start.

P1B2/Start1 = Left Alt

P2B2/Start2 = S

Scott

quasar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 01:11:34 pm »
Thank you for that tip!  I'll try that with Gauntlet and others, such as tmnt and xmen.  Any idea on the overall issue of player start config options missing in 4 player games?  Or is it simply understood that B2 acts as the start for 4 player games?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 01:31:02 pm »
I'll take it you didn't play any of these in the arcade huh?

Most 4 player games don't have start buttons because it really eats up the inputs.  You insert your coin and pressing any button for the player typically starts the game.  Keep in mind that Konami games sometimes require you to insert the coin in the coin slot for the player you wish to be (1 through 4).  Many Capcom games don't, which is quite annoying as other players can "steal" your credits. 

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:29:59 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 01:39:01 pm »
Any idea on the overall issue of player start config options missing in 4 player games?  Or is it simply understood that B2 acts as the start for 4 player games?
MAME inputs match the original cab.

Some control panels like Gauntlet don't have a separate start button -- look at the button labels on the Control Panel Overlay.

TMNT uses player Button 1 as Start.

Scott

quasar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 03:17:27 pm »
Thank you both.  These games ate up my allowance many times, but that was a long time ago and I couldn't recall the button layout on the original cabinets.  I think what was throwing me off was that when I originally tried RetroPie for my build, the player start buttons mapped and worked just fine.  I only noticed the start buttons were missing when I switched to Windows.  I figured I was missing something obvious and you guys helped me realize that it was the fact that the buttons shouldn't be mapped.   The RetroPie image I used just made me think they should.  Thanks again.   

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 04:03:38 pm »
Well you can map the p1 button 1/2 keys to also work with whatever key your star buttons are mapped to, that way either button will work. 

quasar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 04:15:25 pm »
Great idea, thanks again.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 04:55:55 pm »
If you don't have a 4 player panel, use the 2 player version of the games.  (4 player version is the parent in mame, 2 player will be one or more of the clones)
Those allowed you to choose your character instead of being stuck with the one assigned to the position you were standing at.