Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Best joystick for a pacman 60 in 1 multicade?  (Read 7206 times)

Baadbeats

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2017, 08:00:45 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Best joystick for a pacman 60 in 1 multicade?
« on: December 18, 2017, 01:40:05 pm »
Hi everyone,
Im having trouble finding a joystick that works well for both 4 way and 8 way games in a pacman 60 in 1 multicade. I've played a couple pacman/ms pacman multicades that have 8 way joysticks that work really well for both 4 and 8 way games, but I have no idea what sticks they were. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

protocolgeorge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 28, 2021, 01:35:42 pm
Re: Best joystick for a pacman 60 in 1 multicade?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:54:46 pm »
I have two of the Ultimarc ServoStik's.  They are fantastic.  They can be controlled via software (for a mame cabinet) or reconfigured for a toggle switch selector.  Highly recommended.

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 03:19:43 pm »
Personally I dont think any 8 way stick is good for pac man!

But if you insist on 8 way I can only recommend getting one with a octagonal restrictor plate like a Sanwa JLF.

Personally I would prefer a switchable stick like the servo stick or the mag stick etc.

monkeybomb

• PM me to find out how to get a custom title like mine!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 07:16:29 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 04:06:42 pm »
My vertical classic has a 4-way ms pacman /galaga reunion joystick.  I just play games that need an 8 way stick elsewhere.  I'm very happy with the set-up.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »
The best way to run the 60 in 1 board is to turn off all the 8-way and analog games and install a Namco Reunion 4-way stick. This doubles down in not only solving the control problem, but it also eliminates all the laggy frameskipping games and almost all the ones with serious audio problems.

Or do like most builders, install an 8-way, leave everything on and have a machine that plays 4 games pretty good and 56 poorly.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

lovespicyfood

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2019, 12:37:08 am
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 01:58:04 pm »
I agonized over the 4-way and 8-way dilemma...went with the ServoStiks and couldn't be happier!  Works GREAT!

Martin0037

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2018, 05:47:15 pm
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 04:34:02 pm »
What did you go for in then end? 

I’ve got the same dilemma.  Although I’ve used the Sanwa JLF joysticks before and they’re brilliant for 4 way games especially Pac-Man. Really soft, unlike the JLW which quite stiff and are utter crap for Pac-Man, terrible. 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 06:27:33 pm »
What did you go for in then end? 

I’ve got the same dilemma.  Although I’ve used the Sanwa JLF joysticks before and they’re brilliant for 4 way games especially Pac-Man. Really soft, unlike the JLW which quite stiff and are utter crap for Pac-Man, terrible.

Going to bet someone who posted one single post and hasn't logged in since the week he registered probably isn't going to answer and wouldn't have a great response if he did.

On almost every one I ever did I turned off the 8-way games and used a reunion stick. On one machine at customer request I installed a switchable stick. He later brought it back to me because everyone always managed to be in the wrong mode all the time. I then turned off the 8-way games and installed a reunion stick.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

MartyKong

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2024, 05:09:52 pm
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2018, 12:04:47 pm »
I have the happ PAC/galaga reunion stick. It's spring was a bit too heavy/stiff. I ended up shortening the spring and it works much better now.

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2018, 02:18:13 am »
I started off with a Magstick as I wanted both 4 and 8 way games to be as accurate as possible. As indeed nobody knew when (or even how) to switch is was useless. I ended up with a U360 and let the frontend do the switching. I am very happy with the result. A Servostick might also be a good option though.