Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: S-Video to composite Great Picture?? huh?  (Read 2303 times)

rurdy4me

• Trade Count: (0)
S-Video to composite Great Picture?? huh?
« on: May 28, 2002, 08:42:56 pm »
Came across this website...says that their cable can produce as good of quality for composite tvs as svideo. That being the case, you could get a tv for alot less without the svideo input. Any ideas?
www.svideo.com
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: S-Video to composite Great Picture?? huh?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2002, 11:40:16 am »
I would be sceptical... but it should be possible.

High end scan converters do a GREAT job on RCA... but they are 2-5 thousand...  

The question is if anyone is able to produce a cheap solution.  It should be doable (since the prices of compenents go down).

I would hope that someone could do a scan converter that changes 640x480 > 320x240 x 15hz with antialiased data points... and handle 320x240@60hz to 320x240@15hz.  So you could use windows easily with a ArcadeCRT without using a weird video card.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: S-Video to composite Great Picture?? huh?
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2002, 01:50:23 am »
Ok I looked at the site... here's what I got from it.  

Is it going to give you "near s-video quality" like it says?  Probably not.

Will it improve the quality of your display?  
Believe it or not the answer is yes.  The fact that it keeps the signal in svid format until it reaches the end of the cable is going to cut down on signal degredation dramatically.  It will also help color bleeding a little.  Your overall sharpness in picture might or might not be affected.

Is the price right?  
Yes again, only 16.99 for the standard cable.  (The rest of them are overpriced btw and kinda the same thing with audio out tacked on, which you don't need.)  Your going to pay about 10-20 bucks for a decent svid cable so that's pretty good.

Should you try it?
I don't think it's a big enough investment to have to worry about the loss of money.  I might pick one up to play with myself.

I hope that helps out some.