Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $60 Retro-Bit Super Retro-Cade (possible alternative to NES/SNES Classic or Pi?)  (Read 4473 times)

Grasshopper

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
Just came across a review of this item on YouTube:

They're selling them on Amazon, so I'm assuming all the games are officially licensed.

At first glance, it appears too good to be true - 90 mostly high-quality games for $60, with decent emulation, save states, SD-card slot, etc.

Admittedly, it lacks the polish of the Nintendo products, and the menu interface is a little bland. But for the price I can overlook that.

Can you guys point out any significant flaws that I might not have spotted?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:52:01 am by Grasshopper »
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Looks promising, sacrifice your wallet and let us know.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:54:30 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
They're selling them on Amazon, so I'm assuming all the games are officially licensed.
Hate to burst your bubble, but there are a number of retro-gaming products sold on Amazon that are clearly not licensed.

The good news is that the upper right corner of the Retro-Bit Super Retro-Cade box says "officially licensed by Capcom, Data East, Irem, and Technos".   ;D

Scott

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
I agree. Im gonna need you to go ahead order one and have a full report on my desk moday.

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
YOu can also add more games using the SD card slot - so aren't limited to the 90 it comes with !

! No longer available

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
Hate to burst your bubble, but there are a number of retro-gaming products sold on Amazon that are clearly not licensed.

Yes, but the point is that they're being sold by Amazon itself, not just by third-party sellers on Amazon's marketplace. Obviously, that's not an absolute guarantee that they're legit, but Amazon wouldn't knowingly sell unlicensed products as they have a reputation to protect.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
I agree. Im gonna need you to go ahead order one and have a full report on my desk moday.

If I could find a UK source, I'd happily buy one today, as I'd like to have something to play around with over Christmas.

Unfortunately, all I'm finding is the earlier black version (which is probably based around exactly the same hardware) that got terrible reviews.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:54:30 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Yes, but the point is that they're being sold by Amazon itself, not just by third-party sellers on Amazon's marketplace. Obviously, that's not an absolute guarantee that they're legit, but Amazon wouldn't knowingly sell unlicensed products as they have a reputation to protect.
I agree that Amazon wouldn't knowingly put themselves in actual legal jeopardy, but . . .

1. You wrote "on Amazon" not "by Amazon".

2. Amazon does do order fulfillment for many unlicensed products -- the seller ships in bulk to an Amazon warehouse and Amazon packs/ships the product to individual buyers.

That said, I don't expect the Arcade Police to do a perp-walk with Jeff Bezos anytime in the forseeable future.   :lol

Scott