Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: arecadeshop.com vs escapepodonline.com for artwork  (Read 3859 times)

loupg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2021, 06:20:34 pm
arecadeshop.com vs escapepodonline.com for artwork
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:19:49 am »
I'm planning to make a defender cabinet as a MAME/multicade cabinet.  I'm planning to use the defender artwork and am currently looking at both escapepodonline.com and arcadeshop.com.  arcadeshop.com doesn't have a defender marquee, but does have the side art, monitor bezel and control panel, escapepodonline.com has all of the pieces.

From what I'm seeing, it appears escapepodonline.com costs about $100 more for the pieces that arcadeshop.com carries.  I'm considering buying most of the artwork from arcadeshop.com and just getting the marquee from escapepodonline.com, or potentially sourcing the marquee from ebay, but I was wondering if there was anything I should be aware of that would account for the $100 price difference between the two shops.

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Re: arecadeshop.com vs escapepodonline.com for artwork
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 03:43:45 pm »
Stencils or GTFO. :lol  No, seriously though... from thisoldgame.com: https://www.thisoldgame.com/stencils/defender-stencil-set
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

loupg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 03:52:11 pm »
Stencils or GTFO. :lol  No, seriously though... from thisoldgame.com: https://www.thisoldgame.com/stencils/defender-stencil-set

I have thought about going the stencil route, but my two concerns are 1.) how much monkeying around I'll need to do to get reasonably close colors, and 2.) that does require me to actually get the stencils lined up with each other, while vinyl allows me to just be reasonably close for the entire side of the cabinet.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:45:27 pm »
I have thought about going the stencil route, but my two concerns are 1.) how much monkeying around I'll need to do to get reasonably close colors, and 2.) that does require me to actually get the stencils lined up with each other, while vinyl allows me to just be reasonably close for the entire side of the cabinet.

The color match is pretty simple, Rustoleum Satin Black, Krylon Red Pepper and Krylon Sun Yellow. That'll get you as close (or probably closer) than the vinyl will. Of the different stencil types Defender is probably one of the easier ones to apply but yeah it's definitely more work than vinyl, although it's then also more original looking and unique.

You can see the colors used on GearHead's excellent restoration thread here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=150817.0
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

loupg

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:17:08 pm »
Ooh, thanks for the link to the restore thread!

So, other than the side art, any advice on the control panel overlay?  Are they essentially going to be the same from all three sites?  I'd read escapepodonline does inkjet printing, I believe arcadeshop states theirs is screen printed, thisoldgame states solvent printed on the defender overlay, but says printed at the time of order for the multi-williams overlay, which I'm guessing means it's likely inkjet for that specific overlay.

I like that thisoldgame prints their monitor bezel on tempered glass, so I think I'll go with their bezel.

Does escapepod do a good job with their marquees?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 10:18:25 am »
So, other than the side art, any advice on the control panel overlay?  Are they essentially going to be the same from all three sites?  I'd read escapepodonline does inkjet printing, I believe arcadeshop states theirs is screen printed, thisoldgame states solvent printed on the defender overlay, but says printed at the time of order for the multi-williams overlay, which I'm guessing means it's likely inkjet for that specific overlay.

I like that thisoldgame prints their monitor bezel on tempered glass, so I think I'll go with their bezel.

Does escapepod do a good job with their marquees?

Thisoldgame does really good work, that'd be your safest bet though they tend to take a little extra time. I don't care for the inkjet repro marquees, I'll typically look for an original in decent shape first. Just depends on how picky you are, if you're ok with vinyl for the side art then a repro marquee from a reputable vendor would probably be fine.