Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun project  (Read 10227 times)

redfivexw

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2022, 04:49:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Outrun project
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2017, 05:59:58 pm »
Ad others have pointed out, this game would cost more to buy the boards and wiring then to buy a working unit, which is why I am looking for alternatives.  I can't justify $500 in boards/wiring on this one. If there was a way to make something else work I am sure there are more outrun cabinets out there that are boardless

Ian

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 11:03:18 pm »
Honestly an Out Run with no boards is a parts machine anyway, there aren't really any extra boards out there.

This!

It seems to me the OP doesn't want an Outrun  anyway... but a multi racer.

I did not want a multi racer, just wanted a jamma solution, wanted to use a Pandora's box with all games off except outrun

If that is the case... sell the empty cab and buy a fully functioning one, otherwise your only other option is to spend the money and the time getting a working board and wiring the bastard up.

See I bought two ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- ones and built one nice outrun. I also spent the money to buy a working board... moral of the story I spent more than the game was worth to get one working. I have no regrets.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=154873.msg1624534#msg1624534

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 11:33:43 pm »
Burn it.

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 11:54:10 pm »
Burn it.

Again, that was helpful...

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 12:05:37 am »
Well,
After 13 years on this forum, and 20 years working with arcade games i will figure it out.  I have never worked with driving games before and was hoping for some help coming up with an inexpensive and workable solution, i mean this is not the KLOV forums after all!  Let me ask this, how does the steering wheel control and the pedal control interface with the original board?  What is the difference between what the wheel sends for data to the original board vs Mame?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:40:48 pm
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2017, 03:56:12 am »
If your goal is a good working outrun cabinet running outrun at a reasonable cost, you should go the MAME way. There are tons of info about such a conversion here and out. Prices for full working dedicated cabs are crazy these days.
People sometimes ignores that it's possible to interface a MAME PC with minimum to no modificatiin to the original wiring. It will ask for some work on your side.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 04:00:00 am by baritonomarchetto »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2017, 07:54:20 am »
I have 11 fully working dedicated arcade machines in my house. I purchased them all in the last 2 years. I have yet to pay more than 600 dollars for one. All but two worked when I bought them. The other two needed some TLC, but they work fine now too. I started with zero experience in electronics.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:11 am »
Well,
After 13 years on this forum, and 20 years working with arcade games i will figure it out.  I have never worked with driving games before and was hoping for some help coming up with an inexpensive and workable solution, i mean this is not the KLOV forums after all!  Let me ask this, how does the steering wheel control and the pedal control interface with the original board?  What is the difference between what the wheel sends for data to the original board vs Mame?

It sounds like the best option for you is to build it yourself and see if anything works for you. I did. I built a cabinet called Prepare to Quality and it's in my signature if you want to read my trials. Ultimately I sold it because at first, like you, I thought there wasn't much to a driving game. Only once I dug in did I learn that the carbinet I created, only played a couple arcade games perfect, and everything else was a compromise. In my arcade, kids and many adults gravitated towards the driving machine. I mean, afterall, who doesn't love a steering wheel and pedals? But, it required the most instruction for guests. I had to tell people "Make sure to select automatic" and "let the shifter return to center to shift from high to low".

The reason you don't see a multi-cart driving game options is the same reason. There is no single hardware solution for many of the mame arcade driving games.

For you, you could find the cabinet very playable, but for me and for many people trying to share their advice with you in this thread, it's too much of a sacrifice.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:35 am »
I have 11 fully working dedicated arcade machines in my house. I purchased them all in the last 2 years. I have yet to pay more than 600 dollars for one. All but two worked when I bought them. The other two needed some TLC, but they work fine now too. I started with zero experience in electronics.

Uhh.... you're hired?  ::)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2017, 12:18:09 pm »
Well,

It sounds like the best option for you is to build it yourself and see if anything works for you. I did. I built a cabinet called Prepare to Quality and it's in my signature if you want to read my trials. Ultimately I sold it because at first, like you, I thought there wasn't much to a driving game. Only once I dug in did I learn that the carbinet I created, only played a couple arcade games perfect, and everything else was a compromise. In my arcade, kids and many adults gravitated towards the driving machine. I mean, afterall, who doesn't love a steering wheel and pedals? But, it required the most instruction for guests. I had to tell people "Make sure to select automatic" and "let the shifter return to center to shift from high to low".

The reason you don't see a multi-cart driving game options is the same reason. There is no single hardware solution for many of the mame arcade driving games.

For you, you could find the cabinet very playable, but for me and for many people trying to share their advice with you in this thread, it's too much of a sacrifice.

This is helpful.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »
Well,

Well said, Lew.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2017, 08:50:37 pm »
Again,
Was never looking for a multi driver, just a solution for the one game. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2017, 05:23:36 am »
Man this thread got out of wack. You have two options, both are PC based. You could use Mame, in which case you could grab just about any PC from the last 10 years and it would play the game fine. You would need a control interface, something like an APAC. If you wanted to go even further you could probably use Mamehooker to get the outputs going to the shaker motor with some other type of interface to grab the mamehooker outputs.

The other option is to use Cannonball on the pc. Very nice version of outrun, but I don't think you will be able to interface the Shaker motor...

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2017, 10:52:56 am »

Lets see that updated game list!!!!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2017, 11:18:30 am »

Gorf is not in my arcade yet. It is in my barn. It needs a cleaning before it goes in the line up, but it works fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2017, 11:21:00 am »

Gorf is not in my arcade yet. It is in my barn. It needs a cleaning before it goes in the line up, but it works fine.

Sorry. I was off by one. The burgertime is a scratch built MAME cab.

Ian

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2017, 05:46:03 pm »
I was going to ask if that was an original Burgertime... been in the market for one for a while now.