Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun project  (Read 10226 times)

redfivexw

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2022, 04:49:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Outrun project
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:14:09 pm »
I have a sega outrun, wondering if it would be possible to hook it up to a multicart like Pandora's box.  Can outrun be wired to jamma? 

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
Re: Outrun project
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:19:40 am »
FYI, the machine has no boards installed and i cant find a working one, which is why i am considering this route. 

Mike A

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:01:06 am »
There are Outrun PCBs on Ebay.

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:27:27 pm »
that was so helpful, thanks!

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:20:52 pm »
I have a sega outrun, wondering if it would be possible to hook it up to a multicart like Pandora's box.  Can outrun be wired to jamma?

There aren't multicarts for the driving games because there was no set standard like JAMMA for them.
Pedals and shifters might be wired backwards from one game to the next.  Some games only had one switch in the shifter to save money.  (if you're not in low, you must be in high gear  ;)  )

So no.  No multicarts, no jamma.

You can interface the controls with a PC using an ultimarc APAC or UHID.
It takes a lot of tinkering and configuring.  It's not like a joystick cab where you can suddenly play thousands of games.
Every game in MAME needs set up individually and in the end you might end up with a couple dozen games in MAME that are playable with the controls you have.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »
i cant find a working one, which is why i am considering this route.

I can give you links if you like.

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:49:57 pm »
Thanks Badmouth for your help
To Mike A - obviously if fixing this machine was as easy as buying a board on ebay i would not have asked for help.  This cabinet has been gutted and rather than pulling the monitor and coin door and breaking it down i am trying to make something of it, but there always has to be some person who has to give the old "what a shame" or "original is best" bull.  Sometimes it is just not economically feasible to repair them all the "right" way .  I was hoping that there might be a way to get a multiboard, set it to run one game and wire up the steering wheel, pedal and shift to jamma.  I mean, if the steering wheel is Left and Right, and the pedal is up and down, and the shift is P1 Fire, there must be a way to make it work.  I just dont know if the fact that the pedal has more or less depending on how you press it can be translated.  I just dont know enough about driving games.   

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 05:32:56 pm »
It would be a nice cab to make into a mame multi-racer.   I have a Chase HQ that I am going multi racer with, following the inspiration of this build:

http://www.jammaplus.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65327&title=chase-hq-as-mame-driving-cab

Its a bit more work that what I think you were hoping for, so trash or treasure... :)

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:44:14 pm »
You specifically stated that you were exploring the multi-board route because you couldn't find an original board. I am sorry that I took you at your word.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
Outrun project
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:51:42 pm »
You specifically stated that you were exploring the multi-board route because you couldn't find an original board. I am sorry that I took you at your word.

I know, right? I read that too. Just say you’re not interested in restoring it, skip the lame “oh, a- I can’t find a board so I’m going to go a different route” excuse.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:42:33 pm »
Great 1000 Mile Rally is a cheap board and it will work with Out Run controls if you rewire.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:35 pm »
Thanks Badmouth for your help
To Mike A - obviously if fixing this machine was as easy as buying a board on ebay i would not have asked for help.  This cabinet has been gutted and rather than pulling the monitor and coin door and breaking it down i am trying to make something of it, but there always has to be some person who has to give the old "what a shame" or "original is best" bull.  Sometimes it is just not economically feasible to repair them all the "right" way .  I was hoping that there might be a way to get a multiboard, set it to run one game and wire up the steering wheel, pedal and shift to jamma.  I mean, if the steering wheel is Left and Right, and the pedal is up and down, and the shift is P1 Fire, there must be a way to make it work.  I just dont know if the fact that the pedal has more or less depending on how you press it can be translated.  I just dont know enough about driving games.   

Analog controls don't work that way...

The steering wheel has a couple options 270 degree, or 360 degree and has different rates at which it can be turned, i.e. turn faster makes a sharper turn. It's not just left or right.
The shifter isn't a fire button. The game is set to tell what position the shifter is in and tells you what position it should be in. For example, in Pole position, there is low or high. Fire up Mame and you'll see how it doesn't translate to a fire button.
The pedal... well, you got that right. Usually, 50% of the way down = 50% gas, but some games treat it as a on/off (like super sprint/off road).

As soon as you can wrap your head around the different steering wheel options, combined with all the shifter (automatic, manual, various buttons like turbo), and the pedal configurations (gas, brake, shifter) you'll understand that while there may be a good deal of driving games, there aren't as many that match any 1 configuration that you may have. Or, do like me, build a cabinet and realize the amount of games your cabinet accurately plays is much less than you thought. Lastly, great arcade driving games are few and far between.

Your best bet is to put a console in it.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 08:51:16 pm »
Lew speaks the truth, too.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 10:23:11 pm »
It would help if you can define gutted? What is missing?
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 01:10:16 pm »
See the driving cab info thread stickied in the racing subforum: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,55.0.html

MAME does a good job allowing things to work with the controls you have (except that 270 degree wheels like Outrun won't work for 360 degree wheel games like Pole Position).
It's totally doable, but is a lot of work tinkering and configuring to end up with a shorter list of games than most people are expecting.
You'd probably end up with a dozen playable games in MAME.

You're initial post sounded like you were looking for a drop-in solution.
Not having experience with it, I'm guessing going the MAME PC route would take you at least a few dozen hours.
(I'm sure I spent hundreds of hours on my old driving cab, but that included a half dozen other emulators and other controls.)
So it depends on if that kind of time commitment (and cost of PC/interfaces) are worth it to you.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
Just burn it and move on with life.

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 10:10:19 pm »
The game is missing the wiring and boards.  Someone else used it to fix theirs.  I thought maybe I could do something with it.  I think the point is missed on what I want to do, I just wanted to use a simple multi cart set for one game that could replace the original setup.  I really don't need any comments from trolls.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 10:29:48 pm »
Then don’t say stuff you don’t mean and act like a dick when people try to give you help. Mike wasn’t trolling you, you said....

FYI, the machine has no boards installed and i cant find a working one, which is why i am considering this route.

So he tried to help you find a working one. If that was never your intent, don’t make comments like the one you did.

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 04:26:39 am »
The game is missing the wiring and boards.  Someone else used it to fix theirs.  I thought maybe I could do something with it.  I think the point is missed on what I want to do, I just wanted to use a simple multi cart set for one game that could replace the original setup.  I really don't need any comments from trolls.
If there is no wiring, why would it be more simple to put a multi-board in there rather than the original board?  ???
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 07:22:56 am »
Because finding an original wiring harness and board is next to impossible, but a jamma harness and cart are easy. My only question on this post "can this be done and if so, how".  For the people with that knowledge who answered, thank you.  After re reading the post, I agree that I did not give enough info and that mike was being helpful, sorry.  I read it a different way.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:27:49 am by redfivexw »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:48 am »
Well 3 seconds of searching came up with a board and a wiring harness. They come up at various prices. You just have to look. There is outrun stuff on CL too.

I just went to Ebay and searched for Outrun PCB. Sorry for the terrible pic. I am at work and I haven't had my first cup of coffee yet. I already had to modify this post a couple of times.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 07:46:37 am by Mike A »

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 10:55:31 am »
Because finding an original wiring harness and board is next to impossible, but a jamma harness and cart are easy.

Ok, then I understand. However if you are somewhat skilled with a soldering iron you could buy a jamma harness and have that as a base for an original board. You would need to replace the connector and a few other things of course.
By the way, is the shaker motor with all its circuitry still there, or is that gutted as well?

Please understand that most of us actually want to help, but to be honest when I read your first post I was just seconds away from nominating it for the "Troll post of the month award".  So, as always - the better input the better output you get.

Since this is one of the greatest arcade games of the 80's you would truly benefit from going that extra mile restoring it with the original board. Yes, it might be more expensive and it might not be as easy. The reward will be worth it I'm sure. Don't give up and let us help in an constructive way.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 03:11:08 pm »
It’s all good. Honestly, the suggestion to put a console in it is probably going to be your best bet.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 03:36:02 pm »
Honestly an Out Run with no boards is a parts machine anyway, there aren't really any extra boards out there.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 03:43:38 pm »
Honestly an Out Run with no boards is a parts machine anyway, there aren't really any extra boards out there.

That's what I think as well.  I've looked into restoring one in the past and the cost of the parts ends up being a lot more than the total value of the machine.  I decided to wait and buy a complete cabinet.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:24 pm »

That's what I think as well.  I've looked into restoring one in the past and the cost of the parts ends up being a lot more than the total value of the machine.  I decided to wait and buy a complete cabinet.

What about a multi-cart that could have all but one game disabled?!? Why aren't we talking about that option?!!

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:03 pm »
None of them have anything appropriate on them that will interface with the controls. If you just want a one game option, then Great 1000 Mile Rally is dirt cheap and can hook up directly with the Out Run controls.

What about a multi-cart that could have all but one game disabled?!? Why aren't we talking about that option?!!

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 10:46:50 am »

This!

It seems to me the OP doesn't want an Outrun  anyway... but a multi racer.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 06:55:54 pm »
sidebar:

What would it take to get mame to work on original hardware? Specifically, the shifter. I went with a return to center shifter and cycled through the gears when I needed to shift (it sucked). How could I configure it so Low and High were identified by Mame?

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 07:35:02 pm »
Zip tie two cherry switches to it where only one at a time can be closed. Bro do you even build cabinets?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 08:49:11 pm »
sidebar:

What would it take to get mame to work on original hardware? Specifically, the shifter. I went with a return to center shifter and cycled through the gears when I needed to shift (it sucked). How could I configure it so Low and High were identified by Mame?

You can also patch the source per game to work correctly with your shifter.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 09:40:48 am »
sidebar:

If using an original hi/lo shifter that stays in gear: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135345.msg1397466.html#msg1397466

(there are other solutions in the driving cab info thread for older versions of MAME)

You might have to modify the shifter to have a switch on both hi and lo since not all games had the single switch on the same gear.
You could use the normally closed tab on the single switch, but that might become a PITA when trying to map controls.

To my knowledge there still isn't a fix (other than the default toggle) that makes MAME stay in gear after a press and release of a specific button for a gear.
This has always bugged me because most people are going to be using a PC wheel with either paddle shifters or a return to center shifter.
At least we got a fix for turning the default toggle off.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 09:49:43 am by BadMouth »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2017, 01:59:08 pm »
Trow a Pi in it j/k

there is a distro called driver mame out there which simplifies driving game emulation.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2017, 02:07:52 pm »
Dude hasn't logged in for days and BYOAC still flinging ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- at him.

:cheers:

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2017, 03:11:02 pm »
Dude hasn't logged in for days and BYOAC still flinging ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- at him.

Yep, it will probably end up buried in his shed for the next decade...but BYOAC still has hope!!  :cheers:

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 09:43:39 pm »
If it is a single switch shifter you can also wire both the normally closed and the normally open terminals on it to different inputs. That will make it be triggering a different input in each position. However it makes mapping controls harder since you have to unhook the shifter to remap.

UnoWho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:36:01 pm
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2017, 02:40:45 am »
I think the raspberry Pi 3 is a great idea for a multi-game project.  There is a derivative game in retropie called cannonball.  This was a cool idea and should be a good starting point instead of building a Frankenstein (pronounced frankensteen) nightmare.  I have chance of a chase HQ cab for my aquarium project, and this project below is a great primer for it.

https://circuitbeard.co.uk/2017/08/28/tomy-turnin-turbo-dashboard-outrun-arcade/

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2017, 05:51:14 pm »

This!

It seems to me the OP doesn't want an Outrun  anyway... but a multi racer.

I did not want a multi racer, just wanted a jamma solution, wanted to use a Pandora's box with all games off except outrun
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 05:52:59 pm by redfivexw »

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2017, 05:53:53 pm »

Yep, it will probably end up buried in his shed for the next decade...but BYOAC still has hope!!  :cheers:

No, I have it right in my collection waiting for a solution

redfivexw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2017, 05:55:19 pm »

It is right before xmas, I don't live here