Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So google is yanking youtube from amazon streaming devices....  (Read 3305 times)

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
So google is yanking youtube from amazon streaming devices....
« on: December 09, 2017, 11:11:28 am »
I get it.
Amazon yanked google products from their store so google is firing back by yanking youtube but honestly if this is going to be the trend i'll stop buying my kids cheap firetabs and go buy them some other cheap tablet i can root and apply a custom rom to, because my kids "need" youtube more than they need a specific brand of tablet.

While both companies are not hurting themselves with these antics they are pissing of consumer's (well the handful of people I work with who have small kids and fire products are annoyed).

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:01:54 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: So google is yanking youtube from amazon streaming devices....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 01:13:38 pm »
Amazon has refused to let their streaming work natively with Chromecast for years, which is insanely annoying.  I'm going to pick up some Rokus to sidestep this but I'm not happy about it.

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:37:31 pm »
I can't use my chromecast to stream Amazon content. Hasn't been a big deal because I don't like how Amazon organizes their catalog (not having a way to only view free content is ridiculous). I can't use Amazon to purchase a chromecast. They were all pulled from the site. I loaded the playstore on my kids tablets to install Youtube kids and I assume I'm unaffected.

This is a dumb trend.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 02:56:30 pm »
People thought that they could switch to internet streaming services to bypass the cost of cable.... nope....  as soon as a company realizes that what they are selling has a greater value, they up the cost.  Instead of selling shows to amazon, hulu or Netflix, now every media creator wants to have their own streaming service.... cbs has one, Disney has one, ect..... so eventually someone will come along selling packages of the media creators that you can add to a plan.... and you'll have.... cable again, only with a different name. 

It's unfortunate, but I don't see this whole mess ending any other way. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 11:38:42 pm »
   I just got me a new VCR, Jennifer is a Happy, Happy girl.... :applaud:

Donkey_Kong

• heh. I dont know what it stands for but I'm immature and thats hilarious.
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2019, 12:39:54 am
    • CNC Machines
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 04:24:29 pm »
This blows, have a Firestick and tend to watch a lot of youtube on it.    :banghead:
Carved Signs, Custom Gameroom Signs, and Arcade Game Decor and now CNC MACHINES by Melissa Jones

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 04:43:51 pm »
How does this work if you just fire up a browser and navigate to YouTube.com?  Do you get a pop-up saying No Bueno?

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 05:24:53 pm »
People thought that they could switch to internet streaming services to bypass the cost of cable.... nope....  as soon as a company realizes that what they are selling has a greater value, they up the cost.  Instead of selling shows to amazon, hulu or Netflix, now every media creator wants to have their own streaming service.... cbs has one, Disney has one, ect..... so eventually someone will come along selling packages of the media creators that you can add to a plan.... and you'll have.... cable again, only with a different name. 

It's unfortunate, but I don't see this whole mess ending any other way.
I'm "cutting the cord" this month.  Moving from local Spectrum cable service with internet to centurylink fiber for internet, ps vue for live channels, antenna with HDHomeRun for local live channels, and of course Netflix and Amazon.  I will get Showtime and HBO from Amazon, but I could get it from PS Vue as well.  I will still have every channel I had on cable for about $70 less per month total and I get gigabit internet as a bonus.  The downside is I will have a minimum of 4 apps to run to get it all, but it can all be done with a fire TV or Shield, so still one device.  Even figuring the cost of hardware (HDHomeRun box, fireTV's, antenna, etc.), I will be saving money within 3 months.  Point is, there is no try here, I am switching and still getting everything I want.

That being said, it's true that some media companies are doing their best to pull their content from converged services to capitalize on the streaming trend and form their own little empires.  Who doesn't like the idea of only paying for the 10 channels you watch instead of paying for 500 channels?  What they don't seem to understand is that the value still needs to be there.  If your channel is available anywhere along with 100 other channels for $35 per month, then the perceived value is about 35 cents per month.  Not $5-10 per month.  Without a massive library of movies, shows, and original content, few media companies will stand a chance outside of bundled services.  HBO, Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and even Disney can manage this because they have enough to make it worth your $7-15 per month each.  Showtime is cheap enough as an "ala carte" on services like PS Vue or Amazon Prime, but barely.  CBS?  Please, if I were picking and choosing my channels I wouldn't spend more than a dollar per month to add it to my list, especially when most of their content can be watched for free over the air. 

Furthermore, the DIY crowd might be interested in running 10 different apps to get their 10 different channels of content, but let's face it, the majority of consumers want it simple and easy.  Convergence.  Bring it all together in one app.   People will pay for the convenience.  And then the govt will step in and regulate it, adding taxes, and you will have another version of cable, just without the coax.  It's gonna go full circle.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 05:26:43 pm »
Oh, and more on topic, YouTube has their own version of PS Vue now, so that is probably a part of their play against Amazon. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 10:49:15 pm »
In regards to the fire devices, there is a workaround (at least for now) you install one of the various third party downloaders and side-load the latest youtube app.  They might eventually change the codec so it doesn't work anymore though.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 02:39:39 pm »
Amazon just caved and is selling Apple TV and Chromecasts again. I'm sure Google will relent shortly.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »
Yeah they might as well.  Cable companies tried to refuse to sell advertising to direct tv a while back, they were sued, and they won.  I'm not sure if amazon and google qualify as "media oligarchies"  but they probably do. 

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 02:43:30 pm »
It disappeared from my in-laws' AppleTV too. WTF (Canada region)

NO MORE!!

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2024, 09:10:09 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 05:31:50 pm »
eh, I installed silk browser.
wasn't too bad.