Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Vertical games on Horizontal CRT or the other way around?  (Read 2378 times)

processedmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:42:41 am
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
Vertical games on Horizontal CRT or the other way around?
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:12 am »
Hi, if you HAD to put vertical games on a horizontal arcade CRT or horizontal games on a vertical arcade CRT, which would be easier on the eyes and playable?  Only got room for 1 dedicated trackball machine.  I like both missile command AND centipede :(

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Re: Vertical games on Horizontal CRT or the other way around?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:30 am »
Personal choice, Horizontal on vertical would be mine. Go with whichever you have more of, So if you have more vertical games you enjoy playing then vertical would be the best choice for you.

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 08:47:09 am »
vertical games on a horizontal monitor would fit the norm for most mame or pi setups.

the other way seems like you'd end up with an extremely small horizontal game image?

smass

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2024, 07:46:54 pm
  • Cheapskate Arcade
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 11:54:38 am »
If you building only one machine, I would go vertical games on horizontal screen.  That's the way my multicade is setup.

That said, I think a dedicated horizontal screen with street fighter cp setup and a second machine with vertical screen and a good 4/8 way switching stick is a nice tandem.  But if you only have room for one machine, you are going to need to make compromises.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:52:11 am
  • Just because.
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 05:59:12 pm »
If you happen to have a LCD monitor that can be physically turned by 90 degrees, turn it by 90 degrees, fire up mame, start a vertical shmup and rotate the display by 90 degrees in the video settings. You'll find that playing a vertical shmup on a vertically oriented monitor makes a HUGE difference. Of course, horizontal games will get a smaller screen size. It comes down to which games you prefer most.

Alternatively, you could come up with a solution to make the monitor rotatable (which will probably a bit complicated), or you could build a cocktail cab with two sets of controls, one CP at the horizontal side and one on the vertical side.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:44:22 pm »
Horizontal on vertical is best, provided your vertical monitor is huge enough that it fills the cabinet from left to right. Your horizontal games will look normal size and vertical will be huge.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.