Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mamehooker use possible in windows 10 64bit? Specifically for Outrunners?  (Read 3291 times)

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
So I've been playing a crap ton of Outrunners and its quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Since my cab has xinput rumble in the seat I was thinking it would be cool if I could get some rumble going, I checked the Outunners manual and it appears as if it had a similar shaker system to the original Outrun so in theory I think this is possible.

However trying Mamehooker with the latest version of Mame and windows 10 proves to be a no go, I get no outputs via Mamehooker. Not sure if its the OS or Mame or both, I have read some threads suggesting it could be the version of mame (latest) I'm using although I did try an older version that I heard still had support for outputs .169 and still got nothing so I'm not sure where to look next.

If I get this working or not is not a big deal but i just thought I'd inquire. It would be neat.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Mamehooker use possible in windows 10 64bit? Specifically for Outrunners?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:39 pm »
I added that output myself, it was one of the first, so unless somebody changed the driver...

Note the sticky in the software forum.  Outputs needs to be set to "windows" in your mame.ini

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:28:57 pm »
Thanks for the response, I did that but I still get nothing from Mame into Mamehooker. I tested my device through Mamehooker and it works, but I get no outputs going into Mamehooker. Maybe I need to use an older version of Mame?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 01:03:25 am »
Nope.  I'm not sure what you are doing, but I just tried the latest version of mame with outrunners.... all the outputs are still there.  You do know that outputs don't appear until mame uses them right?  So you won't see any until the attract mode. 

You should get a "mame_start" message in the debug menu even if the game doesn't have outputs.  If you aren't getting that then something is screwed up. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 10:16:00 am »
Okay well, thanks for trying to help. I'll mess with it when I get home from work. I did actually go past the attract mode and into a race and crashed the car a couple times to see if that triggered anything, but nothing. I get a mame_start message but only after I click Enable Hooking in Mamehooker and the nothing else. Maybe I'll try it on a different PC and that might tell me if my cabs PC is the culprit...

Thanks, I'll report back if I figure it out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:05 pm »
It's probably not the pc.  If you don't see the mame start then you have something setup incorrectly or you are missing a dependency.  You need to run mamehooker as administrator once to register everything.  Just to be sure you also need to configure the mame paths within mamehooker.  Also check to make sure you don't have a hung version of mame or mamehooker running via ctrl+alt+delete (task manager).  This goes without saying, but be sure to test with an official build of mame... those variants do some odd things. 

Be sure to look at the tutorials on my site for more info about how things work. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2017, 01:36:30 pm »
Unfortunately this reads like a check list I've already completed. Ran as admin, check, configure mame path, check. Official mame build, check. Read tutorials, check...

I've done all of that, but I will try again tonight. Thanks for being patient with me.

Like I said if I cant get it going its no big deal, but it would be pretty cool.

Thanks again.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2017, 04:12:52 pm »
I've just never heard of this particular problem.  People might have issues with functions or ect. but generally the output system itself is pretty fool-proof.  I didn't even write some of that part, headkaze did. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »
Believe it or not it could be my pc, I've had issues with windows 10 locking files in read-only mode and that has caused issues with various games, I though I had that sorted but its possible its not. I've had this happen on multiple pcs, not sure why I seem to be the only one with this problem, but whatever. I'll be home in a couple hours so I'll mess with it tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 09:34:55 pm »
Finally got it worked out, first part was dumb on my part. I was running Mamehooker as Admin, but not Mame64... Once I did that I stared getting outputs... Ran into another small issue, tried to edit the outrunners ini from Mamehooker and got an error that said richtx32.ocx was not registered with my computer, so I had to look into that and get that installed. I guess it used to come with all versions of windows but it no longer does (according to the internet).

Only other issue is I cant get it to start with windows, I had set Mamehooker to always run as Admin, I guess windows wont run a program at startup that has that feature ticked. I unticked it but it seems to be stuck running as admin. No big deal I'll just start it manually when I start the machine...

Thanks again for the support and the hard work. Having rumble in my seat for Outrunners is pretty sweet. Looking forward to messing with a couple more games and finding more outputs...

Thanks again.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 10:25:13 pm »
The admin issue probably has to do with your security settings.  By default windows does that awful thing where any time you get a security prompt it locks the screen.  If your account is an administrator and you lower your security settings to medium you should be good to go.  Mamehooker doesn't have to be ran as admin, I just recommend you do it at least once so all the dependencies will get registered. 

I'm adding xinput rumble to my rig as well.  Not sure about what motors and wiring I'll need but I got a bunch of el-cheapo controllers at the pick n pay to hack. 

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 10:43:44 pm »
Let me know if you need any advice on that, I've got it set up pretty well using a happ FFB motor...