Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cabinet archive  (Read 3299 times)

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Cabinet archive
« on: June 12, 2002, 06:53:44 am »
I figured that this was a great idea so I am taking the liberty to start a string based on this. (Sorry if this is bad form).

I don't know about where you folks live but here in Ga. there are a few local shops that sell clasics. Now, I don't know how they would take to a bunch of us MAME nerds trampin in and taking measurements and then just leaving. But this is a source.

Then the question becomes how do we translate this into plans. Do we build it in 3DSM like the centipede cab and everyone guess at it or could we develope a standard.

I have spent some time this morning trying to go the direct route and contacted Atari. I am going after the original specs from the original makers. I figure that they have to have plans somewhere. Sure they might have some hesitancy in releasing the docs, but it is worth a try. I mean it is not like they are making these things any more. I was directed to the Milton Bradley office in Mass. They are not yet answering the phones this morning, so I will try again later.

Peace, love, and good happyness stuff all!!!

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
Re: Cabinet archive
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2002, 09:30:32 am »
Where in Georgia? I'm about 2 hours north of Atlanta.

As far as plans, the most usable thing is measured drawings. Instead of trying to make detailed measurements, just take photos and a couple critical measurements. Then you can square up the photo in photoshop and make the drawings from the photo. A good source of photos is ebay.

Atari is going to be a dead end. All of their physical assets got sold off. All that's left is a name and the intellectual property. You can find scans of some of their documents if you search the web, but I've never seen cabinet plans.

Bob
South Carolina

jelloslug

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2005, 03:55:59 pm
  • Splut!
    • Jelloslugs Arcade
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2002, 09:42:54 am »
I think the best way to store the drawings is to make them into CAD drawings, eather .dxf or .iges files.  The files can be easly read by many programs and are very accurate.  I would not mind drawing any cabinets (I need somthing better to do at work  ;D ) and I'm sure there are some other ppl here that have access to some type of CAD or another.

Carsten Carlos

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2014, 05:06:25 am
  • Projects: Centipede extended, Asteroids
    • Carlos' Centipede-extended
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2002, 10:02:16 am »
I think the best way to store the drawings is to make them into CAD drawings, eather .dxf or .iges files.

Yep,I agree to this. Although I haven't got any Cad-programs nor am I able to use such a thing, this would be optimum 'cause

- Readers are free to print or plot the plans
- Easier to get it plotted professional in bigger size
- The woodworker who makes the Centipede-cabinet for me would love it if I only had a dxf (Auto-Cad)-file 'cause so it would be much easier to program their machines that cut the wood automatically.

Cause of the last point I would suggest to use Autocad, at least here in Germany its rather popular - not for private persons though.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2002, 11:30:13 am »

Yep,I agree to this. Although I haven't got any Cad-programs nor am I able to use such a thing.

I have the same delima. I would love to be able to look at these things as actual directions.

neuromancer said "Where in Georgia? I'm about 2 hours north of Atlanta."

I am in Snellville (Guinett Co.), I know that Tiger Heli lives somewhere around here as well.

Atari is going to be a dead end.

Someone somewhere has to have these papers.
With the growing popularity with retro gaming some of this stuff has to pop up. granted we may noy get all of it, but wouldn't it be cool to hace the actual plans to go from.

M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 11:35:04 am »
.dxf works fine for me as long as the drawings are simple. I can open them in Illustrator and make .pdf files from them. Everyone can use .pdf. I can contribute plans for Centauri games. They made a bunch of games with the same plans. I have a Vangaurd cabinet.

I meant where in Georgia are these stores ;-) I'd like to go shopping.

I really that nearly all of the documents that Atari coin op had are in landfills. See http://www.alsarcade.com/Andy/arc/atari/

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 07:10:54 pm »
I've done a load of Autocad in the past.  I'd be happy to help draft up any plans for cabinets.  Would not be very difficult.  Email me if you are interested.

I think that trying to make full blown 3d models for every cabinet is slight overkill maybe.  I dunno. )p( is already making 3d models for frontend usage, but they are not 'EXACT'.  I agree with the other guys that we should just create a database of dxf files.  Then I guess with those, )p( and others could even make their models based on our precise drawings.

jakobud