Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Star Wars graphics problem  (Read 2420 times)

shrunkenmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
MAME Star Wars graphics problem
« on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:54 pm »
I'm running MAME 0.190 and have noticed that in Star Wars, the catwalks are being drawn behind the green trench lines - it looks awful. Has anyone else noticed this?

Nephasth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 11:02:52 pm
  • Bitches love Centipede
Re: MAME Star Wars graphics problem
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:10:03 pm »
Any vector game played in mame on a raster monitor looks awful. :cheers:
%Bartop

DarthMarino

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:46:13 am
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 06:16:13 pm »
Try it on a version before 0.174 and let us know if it still happens.  They changed the way the vector graphics  were handled around then.  Major Havoc doesn't work right anymore.

Edit: Also take a screenshot of what you are talking about.  I checked footage of the actual machine and based on your description, MAME is handling it correctly.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 06:19:18 pm by DarthMarino »

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:34:55 pm »
technically it should be 'more correct' now

the problem is vector monitors don't update in the same way as raster monitors, they don't really have framerates as such, they just draw sequences of lines over and over, with the intensity etc. coming from how recently a line was drawn.

modern MAME versions will blend the lines that get drawn based on various factors in an attempt to simulate this varying intensity, which results in them looking more transparent, and produces the effect you're not really liking.

that's the dumbed down explanation anyway.

you might get something closer to what you want by using turning on hlsl and then turning down the 'phosphor persistence' from the overly intense default (the vector HLSL is currently just built on top of the regular one, so excuse the naming)

but as others have said, you're really not going to get a proper vector look on a raster monitor, it's always going to be a somewhat subjective field - the look a lot of people *want* simply isn't how the games looked at all.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 07:37:09 pm by Haze »

1500points

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2018, 01:44:12 pm
    • How to succeed at Robotron
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:22 pm »
Here is a good example of just how painfully lacking lcd is compared to a real vector.

But at home in the dark it plays just fine by my standards....without the pain of keeping a real vector working.

Where Tempest plays well in Mame,  my experience with .106 was that Star Wars played terribly....with a real yoke and ramcontrols interface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shrunkenmaster

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 24, 2022, 10:17:33 am
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:25:34 pm »
Rolled back to MAME 0.172, problem solved! Thanks to all that chimed in  :applaud: