Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP input lag opinions?  (Read 5435 times)

Trnzaddict

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 02:22:55 pm
Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP input lag opinions?
« on: December 05, 2017, 11:41:52 am »
Hi guys. So after reading quite a few threads here it seems this is the monitor of choice for 4:3 LCD's for arcade machines. While there are praises of picture quality, no one seemed to really talk about input response. Can anyine who has or has had one of these share their opinion?

I am super paranoid about getting another older 4:3 LCD. Last year I purchased a NEC2190UXP for cheap on eBay. While it is a gorgeous 21.3 inch 4:3, The input lag is horrible, and the response rate is as well. Actually doing a test against a crt I have in my house I measured about 60ms of input lag, though it feels more than that. Even when using groovymame with frame delay doesn't help much.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Dell Ultrasharp 2007FP input lag opinions?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
Why not just use the CRT?

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 01:14:53 pm »
Why not just use the CRT?

I knew because I mentioned Inhad a CRT I'd get asked that lol. I can't for 2 reasons.

1 it's a CRT TV and my cab is modern make which will only take flatscreens.

2 the CRT TV is in my "retro den" running a console only emulation pc with crt emudriver and a transcoder. So it's taken.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 01:21:38 pm »
Just dont stretch the image to 16:9 (aka barn doors) and use a wide screen monitor. Gsync and all that jazz can help with tearing and HLSL can fake the CRT look.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 01:50:16 pm »
Just dont stretch the image to 16:9 (aka barn doors) and use a wide screen monitor. Gsync and all that jazz can help with tearing and HLSL can fake the CRT look.

I already have a 23 inch widescreen monitor and that is the BIGGEST my cab will take. It is 21.5 inches wide, and it touches both sides of the wood. The input lag is 41 ms as well. If I was to crop out the sides the 4:3 play area it will provide me with is only what maybe 18 inches? 4:3 monitors will yield me the largest correct aspect ratio playing field. I don't play any widescreen arcade games either.

This is why I'm on a quest for the lowest lag 4:3 LCD. Running HLSL is no concern to me, I have a slg3000 for scanlines.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:28:22 pm by Trnzaddict »

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 02:04:28 pm »
But they dont really exist. when 4:3 monitors were first being made it was new technology. Improvements to both response and G2G times didn't really begin until after 16:9 monitors were introduced. I'm not saying there aren't 4:3 LCDs with good response times, I'm just equating it with a needle in a hay stack. Anything Dell branded is not likely to fit your criteria.

You could turn a bigger widescreen monitor on its side and then rotate the image. That would make the 4:3 image fill the entire left to right space maximizing screen area. You'd have to use HLSL for scan lines and CRT effects, or just deal with the SLG's now vertical scan lines.

Just presenting you with some options.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 03:10:12 pm »
The input lag is 41 seconds as well.
Dayaaaum that's a lot of lag!

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 05:28:42 pm »
The input lag is 41 seconds as well.
Dayaaaum that's a lot of lag!

Corrected

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 05:38:55 pm »
But they dont really exist. when 4:3 monitors were first being made it was new technology. Improvements to both response and G2G times didn't really begin until after 16:9 monitors were introduced. I'm not saying there aren't 4:3 LCDs with good response times, I'm just equating it with a needle in a hay stack. Anything Dell branded is not likely to fit your criteria.

You could turn a bigger widescreen monitor on its side and then rotate the image. That would make the 4:3 image fill the entire left to right space maximizing screen area. You'd have to use HLSL for scan lines and CRT effects, or just deal with the SLG's now vertical scan lines.

Just presenting you with some options.

Not actually a bad idea. I saw the post here about somebody who did that. Granted you're loosing half the monitor but that would fill the opening perfectly. I believe he was running 1080x1080.

I guess it's either that or buy a larger cab kit. Just saw a lot people loving the ultrasharp 4:3 lcd's here and thought I'd give it a shot, but I guess if it's not going to yield good results it's not worth the time or
Money.

Thanks for everyone's input!

coasterlvr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 02:48:44 pm »
i've used dell FP2001 since they were brand new.  always played mame on them.  i also have a few 2007's.  i've never noticed any lag on them playing and golden age arcade games with mame.  where would i notice any lag?  i also use the 17" version in a couple of cabinets.

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 05:57:02 pm »
i've used dell FP2001 since they were brand new.  always played mame on them.  i also have a few 2007's.  i've never noticed any lag on them playing and golden age arcade games with mame.  where would i notice any lag?  i also use the 17" version in a couple of cabinets.

Lag as in a delay between you pressing a button and how fast you see the action onscreen.

Every LCD has lag I was just trying to see if it is very noticeable on the ones I listed because when people want to use a 4:3 LCD on their cabs they seem to go for those models.

I dunno fire up Altered Beast. Try to see how long it takes for him to jump as soon as you hear your button switch click. Or try any shmup. Move left right up down whatever. How responsive is it?

coasterlvr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2023, 09:02:24 pm
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2017, 07:02:02 pm »

Lag as in a delay between you pressing a button and how fast you see the action onscreen.

Every LCD has lag I was just trying to see if it is very noticeable on the ones I listed because when people want to use a 4:3 LCD on their cabs they seem to go for those models.

I dunno fire up Altered Beast. Try to see how long it takes for him to jump as soon as you hear your button switch click. Or try any shmup. Move left right up down whatever. How responsive is it?

i just use mame and don't have a crt to compare to but i've never noticed any lag which you asked to test.  i play golden age arcade games.  currently use 2, dell 2001 on a pc setup which i play any mame.  also a 2001 with a jrok board i play and don't notice anything there.  i use a 2007fp with an arcade sd. 

Trnzaddict

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 11:17:02 am »
Just bumping this. I had to compromise since I could not find anything good as far as input lag goes for 4:3 lcd's.

So I went with a Dell e228wfp 16:10 monitor. According to the shoryuken forum thread about sub 1 frame latency monitors, when tested against a CRT it has 0-3 ms of lag and a pixel response of 5 ms. The monitor for my cab now has about 25 ms. So this should really improve things quite a bit, especially with some frame delay from GM should make for a very responsive experience. For the price of 50 bucks you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the replies though guys.