Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Wire TV Power Button  (Read 1831 times)

Haloman800

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2020, 12:40:00 am
  • Awfully Awesome
Wire TV Power Button
« on: December 05, 2017, 01:28:01 am »
I am looking at a 19 inch TV for a project (converting a plug & play), I wanted to see if anyone here has wired an external power button to a TV.

The goal is to power everything with one switch/button.

Here's the TV I'm looking at https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292356546939

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Wire TV Power Button
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 03:28:05 pm »
hold the power button down and plug in the set. if it powers on, short the power button and call it good.

if it won't turn on when plugged in, try placing a 100 or 200uF (16 volts or higher) capacitor across the power button contacts. you will have to measure to see which contact is supplying the 5 som odd volts used to sense the button press and put your + lead of the capacitor on that lead.

that capacitor will act as a short on the button but "look" as open once the capacitor charges up from the 5 volts, essentially acting like a button press.

some TV's will just power on again if powered off while they are active. you may not need to do anything.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 03:36:58 pm »
That capacitor trick is awesome, never thought about that.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 05:45:56 pm »
There is a thread here somewhere that outlines pretty specifically how to wire it up.

I've used the capacitor trick with computers as well to power them on even if the "power on after AC loss" setting is on in the BIOS, but for some reason it still doesn't boot. (common with the big buck hunter PRO computers.)