Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Ultimarc ArcadeVGA not working  (Read 2515 times)

imtrashed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Ultimarc ArcadeVGA not working
« on: December 04, 2017, 09:31:56 am »
I'm ready to throw this thing out the window.  Had my PC completely set up with Hyperspin, MAME, a few other emulators, and all the games I want available with videos and artwork and everything.  Then plugged in ArcadeVGA card and Hyperspin was freezing.  Remedied that with a download of Flash and disabling hardware acceleration. 

Finally starting hooking up this PC to my cab with arcade monitor.  The only way I can get a decent video picture on the arcade monitor is with both the arcade monitor and PC monitor plugged into the card and only when set up for duplicate displays with resolution at 640x288.  That sole combination produces a picture.  If I change resolution to 640x480, I lose it.  With only the arcade monitor plugged in, screen rolls.  V hold doesn't fix it.  The moment I plug the PC monitor into DVI with arcade monitor on VGA, I get picture back. 

Can't boot with just arcade monitor... screen rolls. 

Dell Optiplex PC (with onboard video that I am not able to disable in BIOS)
Windows 7 32 bit

Hoping to get this sorted out.  Any help is appreciated.  Been at this all day trying way too many things. 
Once this is sorted, then I have to see about setting up resolutions for all games and emulators.  Can't currently get either AVRES or MAMEResTool to work.

I'd really rather not start over with setting everything up, but if I had to jump ship and abandon the ArcadeVGA card, what are my options regarding sending video to the arcade monitor from my PC's onboard video card?  I paid for a subscription to Hyperspin and Emu movies, so I'd like to stick with Hyperspin, but if GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver are going to be my only option, I guess I can go that route.  Thoughts/opinions?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Ultimarc ArcadeVGA not working
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 05:32:54 pm »
People make comments like this about the ArcadeVGA cards from time to time, and needing two displays plugged in, and after some basic troubleshooting fails (plug-in order, boot order etc) the advice is generally to contact Andy at Ultimarc for support. He's known for doing what he can. I've never seen anyone post up a successful result, though I haven't been scrutinising the responses for one.

These and other comments have me leaning toward crt_emudriver and a nice Radeon card being not only more functional and better bang for your buck by miles, but also a shitload less hassle. I suppose it might be that crt_emudriver is public and transparent so everyone can find out how it works, where the AVGA is proprietary.

imtrashed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 08:06:37 pm »
People make comments like this about the ArcadeVGA cards from time to time, and needing two displays plugged in, and after some basic troubleshooting fails (plug-in order, boot order etc) the advice is generally to contact Andy at Ultimarc for support. He's known for doing what he can. I've never seen anyone post up a successful result, though I haven't been scrutinising the responses for one.

These and other comments have me leaning toward crt_emudriver and a nice Radeon card being not only more functional and better bang for your buck by miles, but also a shitload less hassle. I suppose it might be that crt_emudriver is public and transparent so everyone can find out how it works, where the AVGA is proprietary.
Thanks.  Leaning towards a new card and GroovyMAME with CRT Emudriver. 

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 09:53:42 pm »