Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun 2 FXT 2.5 Released!  (Read 123364 times)

isamu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Outrun 2 FXT 2.5 Released!
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2022, 02:18:38 pm »
lol

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #241 on: September 10, 2022, 03:37:31 am »
It was meant to get an answer since most of this board is either abandoned or in ignore mode.
Anyway, it's sad to see this great mod left as it is, too bad it never reached its full potential  :(

I'm sorry, you came in here to bait ppl? Really?

Nope, I posted a workaround for the flames bug in the "Hacking OutRun 2006" thread then posted here but nobody cared. So I tried a little bit of soft trolling to gain attention and -guess what- I got it. It's sad but also enlightening at the same time  :angel:

Mate, if you wanted to get my attention to discuss some Outrun 2 with you, all you needed to do was ask, there's better ways to go about it than leaving a purposely antagonistic comment (soft trolling?) that's just going to make me think you're a bit of a dickhat. As it is, yeah, that's great that you've found a work around for the flames bug. Nice work, genuinely. It's great that people are still interested enough in this game to discover stuff like this.

As for Howard's mod never reaching it's full potential and people ignoring these threads... The original Hacking Outrun 2006 thread is almost 10 years old now and the FXT one is 5. I mean, it's not really surprising people in the forum have moved on to other things now and it's just a couple of hardcore Outrun fanboys like myself, buttersoft and Isamu that periodically check in and engage with them (and even then, I normally only swing by here every couple of weeks or so). And, as far as I can see, Howard's mod, in all it's years starting as the hack 10 years ago and morphing into FXT has achieved everything it set out to. The main thing was getting gaming wheels working properly with the PC game's 'Joypad only' unoptimised controls and sorting out the huge deadzone. The FFB was an added bonus. The fact he was then able to go on and create the awesome course editor (complete with an initiative and user friendly UI) was just the icing on the cake. Sometimes man, you've just got to be content with what you've already got  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 03:42:05 am by MrThunderwing »

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #242 on: September 10, 2022, 04:37:56 am »
It was meant to get an answer since most of this board is either abandoned or in ignore mode.
Anyway, it's sad to see this great mod left as it is, too bad it never reached its full potential  :(

I'm sorry, you came in here to bait ppl? Really?

Nope, I posted a workaround for the flames bug in the "Hacking OutRun 2006" thread then posted here but nobody cared. So I tried a little bit of soft trolling to gain attention and -guess what- I got it. It's sad but also enlightening at the same time  :angel:

Mate, if you wanted to get my attention to discuss some Outrun 2 with you, all you needed to do was ask, there's better ways to go about it than leaving a purposely antagonistic comment (soft trolling?) that's just going to make me think you're a bit of a dickhat. As it is, yeah, that's great that you've found a work around for the flames bug. Nice work, genuinely. It's great that people are still interested enough in this game to discover stuff like this.

As for Howard's mod never reaching it's full potential and people ignoring these threads... The original Hacking Outrun 2006 thread is almost 10 years old now and the FXT one is 5. I mean, it's not really surprising people in the forum have moved on to other things now and it's just a couple of hardcore Outrun fanboys like myself, buttersoft and Isamu that periodically check in and engage with them (and even then, I normally only swing by here every couple of weeks or so). And, as far as I can see, Howard's mod, in all it's years starting as the hack 10 years ago and morphing into FXT has achieved everything it set out to. The main thing was getting gaming wheels working properly with the PC game's 'Joypad only' unoptimised controls and sorting out the huge deadzone. The FFB was an added bonus. The fact he was then able to go on and create the awesome course editor (complete with an initiative and user friendly UI) was just the icing on the cake. Sometimes man, you've just got to be content with what you've already got  :cheers:

Couldn't have summed it up more eloquently mate.  :cheers:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2022, 07:01:38 pm »
Just for the record, fxt isn't dead, it's just on hiatus.   My new job demands more of my time and more importantly my mental energy.   I'm just too tired these days to keep up at the break-neck pace I used to.  I don't comment much these days unless I feel like I can help or I have something significant to add but I don't ignore the forums or any of these threads.  That being said I've probably got one more big, feature rich, update to fxt in me and any necessary bug fixes.   I figure I'll become more active this winter once I'll be snowed in but no promises.   

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2022, 10:45:13 pm »
Just for the record, fxt isn't dead, it's just on hiatus.   My new job demands more of my time and more importantly my mental energy.   I'm just too tired these days to keep up at the break-neck pace I used to.  I don't comment much these days unless I feel like I can help or I have something significant to add but I don't ignore the forums or any of these threads.  That being said I've probably got one more big, feature rich, update to fxt in me and any necessary bug fixes.   I figure I'll become more active this winter once I'll be snowed in but no promises.

All good sir. Get that money bag. Gotta keep the lights on.

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 04:57:43 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #245 on: September 11, 2022, 02:38:42 am »
there's better ways to go about it than leaving a purposely antagonistic comment (soft trolling?) that's just going to make me think you're a bit of a dickhat.

Cheer up dude, I was just messin' with ya  8)
Plus, I like your YT channel and we even got an official update from Howard so it's all good in the end.

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 06:15:03 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #246 on: September 11, 2022, 05:36:55 am »
Outrun 2 in Tekonparrot is flawless. Without sounding like a dickhat, what does this version have that the original arcade doesn't? I've never used this version, period.

My twin racer gets played every week by young and old, outrun and Daytona are still the preferred racers and that is a real compliment considering I've got over 50 linked arcade racers running.

Cheers

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #247 on: September 12, 2022, 04:26:08 pm »
The non-Howard-fied vanilla version of Coast 2 Coast has 5 extra cars than SPDX, a fair bit of extra music and all the mission modes. It probably doesn't look quite as nice as SPDX does though when it's fully res'd up (the bloom's better in SPDX and all the HUD stuff like the speedometer's in the correct aspect ratio. It gets stretched in Coast 2 Coast when you play in 16:9). Coast 2 Coast is also missing some of the end goal animations, like the shuttle launching and the volcano erupting).

The big draw with the mods Howard's added (apart from sorting the controls out) is the course editor, that lets you create your own custom courses (including the Sunny Beach night and Palm Beach dusk ones you can only normally use in Time Attack). You can mix and match any combination of the OG OR2 and SP's stages together in normal or reverse. It's pretty amazing really. Here:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 05:31:23 pm by MrThunderwing »

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #248 on: September 13, 2022, 04:06:49 am »
The big draw with the mods Howard's added (apart from sorting the controls out) is the course editor, that lets you create your own custom courses

Yeah, but he needs to download it separately. Plus there's still a couple bugs like CPU Rivals not showing up in reverse tracks and glitches in some missions. But with a couple fixes and a new interface it could really be sold stand alone  :applaud:

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2024, 08:57:04 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #249 on: September 27, 2022, 11:52:35 pm »
I'd like to try this wrapper, but can't even get Outrun2 up and running. Apparantly I need a Jennifer shader that I can't seem to find a linky for anywhere. If anyone can help me out please feel free to pm me thanks.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #250 on: September 28, 2022, 07:19:20 am »
I'd like to try this wrapper, but can't even get Outrun2 up and running. Apparantly I need a Jennifer shader that I can't seem to find a linky for anywhere. If anyone can help me out please feel free to pm me thanks.

You are asking about running the PC game Outrun 2 Coast to Coast, not OR2SPSDX on Teknoparrot, yes? All you should need to install is DirectX9c...

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #251 on: September 28, 2022, 06:02:09 pm »
Outrun2 on TeknoParrot. I have many other games running on TP, but can't get Outrun2 to start. I'm scoured the interwebs and found I need a Jennifer resolution patch but can't find it anywhere.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #252 on: September 28, 2022, 08:06:59 pm »
Outrun2 on TeknoParrot. I have many other games running on TP, but can't get Outrun2 to start. I'm scoured the interwebs and found I need a Jennifer resolution patch but can't find it anywhere.

OK, wrong thread; this one for Howard's FXT mod for the PC game :)

There's a thread a few below this on on OR2 SP on Teknoparrot. Boomslang just updated TP two days ago to put the OR2 respatch back in, so you shouldn't need the external patcher. More info about graphics patches for NVidia, AMD and Intel in that thread :)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,166051.0.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 09:29:26 pm by buttersoft »

bsoder52

• Offline Offline
« Reply #253 on: September 29, 2022, 08:15:45 am »
OK I'll check that out thanks!

Chris2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 09:34:34 am
  • Servin' up Bacon.
« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2022, 07:57:45 pm »
Hi there. It's good to hear you have had some luck with the G29!

May I just ask if you are able to play several games in a row with the FFB still working ok? On the G920 it sticks/stops during the first game.

Thanks!

Sorry it took forever to reply here. I'm not in a good position to answer as my computer which ran OutRun has been out of commission for months now. I'm working to stabilize it and then I should be able to tell you more on this matter.
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

cangarujack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 04:03:59 pm
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2022, 09:51:37 am »
Hi!
is there an HD mod for the HUD?

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #256 on: October 26, 2022, 03:33:47 am »
Hi!
is there an HD mod for the HUD?

Nope, only a beta mod that doesn't look very good (old and new graphics together) as part of the FXT package.

Luciano2848

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 02, 2023, 10:18:51 pm
« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2023, 10:12:43 pm »
Greetings Howard.

the mod works good and all but i have a single problem. hen i try to play in windowed mode, it stays for a spit second and switches to fullscreen by itself. and on the unmodded game it stays windowed. do you have a reason for this and know how to fix it? thanks.

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2023, 06:34:54 pm
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2023, 09:42:24 am »

I haven't checked in on FXT for quite a while now but have just seen this.  As ever your efforts are much-valued Howard but never expected or required.

Anything we can do to help, you know what to do.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #259 on: January 17, 2023, 11:45:58 am »
Welp, it's official: Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast is now old enough to feature in the latest issue of Retro Gamer Mag as a genuine retro title. This fact doesn't sit right in my brain. I mentioned this on my Twitter and someone else pointed out that it's older now than the Mega Drive port of Outrun was when C2C released. It's bonkers, because the gulf between those 2 was just so immense, but Outrun 2 still looks (almost) like it could be a contemporary racing game. Especially when you're playing SPDX or PC C2C upscaled.

K1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2023, 05:38:28 pm
  • Collateral shot!
« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2023, 02:48:47 pm »

First of all, incredible mod. I've dreamed of being able to play Outrun 2 on a wheel at home ever since the arcade that had the game shut down. Ok, now to my issue. How do I get that "specific game settings" window with the centering spring settings (A user named Potato had this screenshotted in an earlier post if you want reference)? I have FXT 2.5 installed and I'm trying to get my g920 to have a centering force. Right now it only has ffb (which is spot on btw) but it doesn't return back to its original position. I saw in earlier posts to change some settings to 7500 and I already did that but nothing has changed. I don't have any mods on my wheel and it's completely stock. I've set the centering spring in the logitech app to 0 because I heard that it makes a difference but it's the same. Is there some way I can get the centering force to work without making any modifications to my wheel? It's a lot more difficult playing without this force on wheel so I'm really hoping someone can help me out.

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #261 on: February 21, 2023, 09:18:23 pm »
Welp, it's official: Outrun 2006: Coast to Coast is now old enough to feature in the latest issue of Retro Gamer Mag as a genuine retro title. This fact doesn't sit right in my brain. I mentioned this on my Twitter and someone else pointed out that it's older now than the Mega Drive port of Outrun was when C2C released. It's bonkers, because the gulf between those 2 was just so immense, but Outrun 2 still looks (almost) like it could be a contemporary racing game. Especially when you're playing SPDX or PC C2C upscaled.

That is pretty nuts. I've been playing it a lot lately and it definitely doesn't feel retro.

And when I say I've been playing it a lot, I actually mean across two versions: C2C running on the 360 via OG Xbox emulation and Outrun Online Arcade on the 360 as native code. Sure, the layer is missing some content but the boot times are way faster and the higher res graphics do make a difference.

Mr. Thunderwing, I take it you haven't ever come across any way to make OOA playable over 360 system link or Xlink etc. - instead of playing it over Xbox Live?

(Forgive me if you have the PS3 version and wouldn't know either way, of course!)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 04:31:02 am by shakeheartbreak »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #262 on: February 22, 2023, 05:58:05 am »
Mr. Thunderwing, I take it you haven't ever come across any way to make OOA playable over 360 system link or Xlink etc. - instead of playing it over Xbox Live?

(Forgive me if you have the PS3 version and wouldn't know either way, of course!)

I've got the PS3 version I'm afraid, no idea if there's any way to play OOA with other people other than the Xbox live (no idea what Xlink is). Your version of Coast 2 Coast will work in local multiplayer on the 360 though, just using an OG Xbox system link cable - You can hook it up to another 360 or an OG Xbox. It's not as pretty as OOA, but it's actually the better option content-wise with all the extra cars, stages and music. If you use a router, you can add in extra consoles and you don't specifically need to use a system link cable for that, just a bog standard yellow Ethernet cable will do.

shakeheartbreak

• Offline Offline
  • OutRun 2 Diehard
« Reply #263 on: February 22, 2023, 07:26:45 pm »

I've got the PS3 version I'm afraid, no idea if there's any way to play OOA with other people other than the Xbox live (no idea what Xlink is). Your version of Coast 2 Coast will work in local multiplayer on the 360 though, just using an OG Xbox system link cable - You can hook it up to another 360 or an OG Xbox. It's not as pretty as OOA, but it's actually the better option content-wise with all the extra cars, stages and music. If you use a router, you can add in extra consoles and you don't specifically need to use a system link cable for that, just a bog standard yellow Ethernet cable will do.

Thanks Mr. T and I appreciate your time and expertise on this. My apologies I wasn't clearer here. I do already have several Xbox 360 consoles and all with copies of C2C and OOA available to them. For multiplayer, I have a network hub to play C2C.

But because that's running on OG Xbox emulation, the load times are slow and the graphics aren't as good compared to OOA (which is native Xbox 360 code).

Yes, OOA has less content but it might be better for multiplayer races for the above reasons - so I was hoping there was a way to get it working in the absence of Xbox Live. Perhaps a way to setup your own server or simulate a P2P game locally?

And Xlink is tunneling software which allows you to play system link games over the internet - in my case, I guess I'm looking for the opposite!

But I understand that you play.on PS3 and again, appreciate your help nonetheless.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 07:29:07 pm by shakeheartbreak »

Funkyspectrum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 05:40:44 am
« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2023, 05:05:03 am »
Hello I just installed this mod, I used version 2.5 - is that the latest ?

unfortunately it breaks the control support in the game. In the "vanilla" version, my gamepad works fine but in this version using the FXT launcher the d-pad works, and the analogue stick works/is "seen" when configuring controls BUT when I play the game the car does not steer. I've tried also leaving the gamepad assignment blank in the FXT config too. Something strange going on here and I hope someone can help ! also I still have the HD in standard/blurry definition it seems.

any pointers would be much appreciated i am not the sharpest knife in the drawer, thank you !

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #265 on: March 09, 2023, 03:17:38 am »
Hello I just installed this mod, I used version 2.5 - is that the latest ?

Yep.

unfortunately it breaks the control support in the game

Works fine with my original Xbox 360 controllers (both wired and wireless), must be some driver issue with your device and the mod. Try using the free (and VERY useful) app XinputPlus to change how buttons and sticks work. It's not very user-freindly but there's a few tutorials online and it really helps with many old titles.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #266 on: March 09, 2023, 05:09:27 am »
Keep in mind that using the FXT-launcher to remap the gears breaks the ability to gear-drift. You can still use the brakes to drift though.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #267 on: September 25, 2023, 12:10:13 pm »
Yes im finally back in years and years in idle. Currectly im is checking about this mod for the outrun game. Im have found 2 issues with my also old faction g27 from Logitech.

Yep im only playing this game recenctly now (but allways love playing the game at the arcade near me, which actuelly has extractly this game).

Etc manual 3th gear does not seen to been working. Its does register correctly on the screen, but trottle does no longer works. All other gears works throught.

Also this game only works in 60fps, which also cause issues on a 144fps display. While its possible to get auto switch to get work, but then get all kind of issues and crashes its seen.

Also its would been nice to add up/down mapped as well, which the game didated is so stupid designed here.(forced x/y on a spletted speeder/trottle, wow).
Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #268 on: September 25, 2023, 01:29:40 pm »
Just uploaded a 2 Player versus video on a twin Outrun 2 SP cabinet this weekend, if anyone's interested in seeing the Chihiro SP game running natively (this was a first for me).
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 02:07:13 pm by MrThunderwing »

Deranfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2024, 12:12:39 pm
« Reply #269 on: January 18, 2024, 11:25:14 am »
I’m getting a bug where the game continuously presses arrow left on its own. This isn’t present with the vanilla game. Even binding it to another key won’t fix it. This makes the game unplayable, the car is always steering to the left. Any idea how to fix this? Couldn’t find anyone having the same issue as me with this mod, so I’m asking here for help.

cruz9001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 11:39:24 pm
« Reply #270 on: February 16, 2024, 11:37:41 pm »
Amazing mod. However the game won't seem to update my records in time attack mod or scores in Outrun mode. any way to resolve this issue? The file rankings.dat seems to be missing from the savegame folder.