Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Outrun 2 FXT 2.5 Released!  (Read 123093 times)

Zeether

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2021, 08:55:38 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Outrun 2 FXT 2.5 Released!
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2021, 06:47:24 pm »
For me it might have sat high, i can't remember. But then it moved down when i pushed the pedal. It appeared to be going the wrong way, of course, but the game can handle that.

So, for you, it always sits high when the pedal is at rest? Then, after waiting a bit, when you push the pedal all the way down it still sits high? And you're definitely not using a combined axis?

You might look into controls mapping with something like UCR, if you really get stuck. Not ideal, but it should work.
Yeah, it always sits high and when I push it down it's still sitting at high afterward. No combined axis. Do you have a G29 as well?

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2021, 08:21:39 pm »
Do you have a G29 as well?

Admittedly not. I'm using a G25, which, while having inverted pedal axes and perhaps being somewhat similar, does work in OR2.

My next suggestion would be UCR running to a virtual joystick like either X360ce (vigem) or Vjoy. Basically, you set up the virtual joystick as stick #1 on windows (which is a bit of a crapshoot itself, admittedly) and then map the axes from your G29 to where you want them to go (inverting if desired) on the virtual joystick. Given OR2 lets you then pick the joystick you want to set up, you can then just use the wheel itself to map the inputs, no need for the vjoy feeder or whatever.

The above has worked for me both with a non-FFB wheel, and the G25. I'm hoping it would work for you as well, if needed. Unless it's a problem with the logitech software itself, mb.

Yo! I don't know if I'd use the term 'better' but I think there is a definite subtle difference between the handling of the original OR2 on the OG Xbox and the subsequent offshoot versions of the game. I think there seems to be a more noticeable difficulty gradient in the way the easy, intermediate and hard level cars handle in the OG Xbox game (and I'm assuming the Chihiro version by extension - It's been about 15+ years since I played an actual OR2 cab and I don't think the beta Chihiro version I've played in CXBXR Reloaded really counts, as the association of difficulty with each car is different to the finished game).

Ages ago I was obtaining some footage from the OG Xbox OR2 for a video, and I jumped straight in with the F40 (i.e a hard level car) and manual transmission and coming off the back of the PC game I noticed it was more of a struggle to keep the car on the track and not crash. Playing Coast to Coast on the OG Xbox, that gradient seems (to me at any rate) to still be there to a certain extent, but for some reason the handling felt a lot more forgiving in the PC version when using a pad. No idea why that would be the case. TBH though, I can't really tell any difference now between the PC version, OR2 SPDX in Teknoparrot and OOA on the PS3.

One thing though that definitely makes the original OR2 harder than it's younger siblings is the fact that you get penalised far more severely for collisions with other cars. If you drift into another car in OR2 you fly up into the air and lose an absolute ton of speed. In Coast 2 Coast, SPDX and OOA (and I think the original Chihiro version of OR2 SP) you just plough through the other vehicles (possibly not CPU rivals though, can't recall...) with a far less greater loss of speed.

Interesting, thank you for the information :) Pls keep us all updated on progress to the status of OR2 ChihiroBeta in CXBXR Reloaded going forward too, i've been watching your videos with interest :) Why is it only the beta that's running? That's what the devs are coding towards, at present? Obviously the Chihiro dumps are available. It would be great to be able to play WMMT1/2 as well, of course.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2021, 11:49:00 pm by buttersoft »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #202 on: August 19, 2021, 12:34:54 am »
Yeah I was going to chime in on that one.   To summate for everyone yes, the drift mechanic is different but it was improved to make the game easier.   Some people complain that the drifting is too easy in 2sp/2006 but I always thought that was kind of the point.   The original outrun rewarded good driving and drifting wasn't even a thing... drifting is supposed to be a tool at your disposal to navigate the course and improve times, not a challenge.

As for the pedal thing... pedals are weird in outrun 2006   I forget the process to properly clear a setting before binding it, which may be your problem.   It's in that million page "hacking outrun 2006" thread if you feel like searching for a needle.     

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #203 on: August 19, 2021, 07:26:22 am »
Quote from: buttersoft
Interesting, thank you for the information :) Pls keep us all updated on progress to the status of OR2 ChihiroBeta in CXBXR Reloaded going forward too, i've been watching your videos with interest :) Why is it only the beta that's running? That's what the devs are coding towards, at present? Obviously the Chihiro dumps are available. It would be great to be able to play WMMT1/2 as well, of course.

I'm not really sure what the deal is with only the beta version being available. I know most of the other Chihiro games have some kind of JVS control board error when they load up, so perhaps it's related to that? I don't think the CXBXR developer is specifically working on the Chihiro games, but Outrun 2 seems to be benefiting from whatever he's doing. The beta Chihiro game runs more smoothly than the actual Xbox game on CXBXR. This seems like a good opportunity for a little video plug to show how good the progress is at the moment....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2021, 04:04:07 pm »
Dang they are getting close.   Thanks for the vid.   

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: August 20, 2021, 11:19:55 am »
Yeah, the progress is pretty amazing considering just a few years back the game wouldn't even load past the car select screen.

Usernamedrop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2022, 07:25:16 pm
« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2021, 06:52:00 am »

Hello,

After purchasing a C2C PC DVD  years ago & discovering FXT I’ve been intrigued by the O2 version differences. I’m having an issue with the UI of the game in the Teknoparrot emulator where a fine line above ‘REV’ is visible at all times as well as some lines in the splash screens. I’ve recently switched pc’s, did a clean install with a different rom & yet there it is: lines. Didn’t see them anywhere in Thunderwing’s videos or anywhere else. I’ve posed the question on specific forms to no avail so I try posting it here. I would also like to know of there’s any update on the missing smoke from the tires at the start in the TP version, or likewise any updates on the UI scaling/upres in C2C (as well as the posibilities of adding in missing visual effects such as the exhaust flames) can be expected at all.  Thanks for the great work on the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #207 on: September 10, 2021, 07:52:05 am »
I'll have a look and see if i can see the line, i guess. It's probably some sort of emulation or upscaling artifact - the original game runs at 480p, after all. Is it there at every resolution you've tried?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: September 10, 2021, 01:06:04 pm »
I've never seen the line either I'm afraid. I'm not sure if there's been any update to the missing smoke from the tires. I've been running SPDX in an old version of Teknoparrot, before TP started auto updating. I should really get around to getting it set-up in my auto-updating version of TP at some point, but I'm just too lazy to be arsed at the moment...

Usernamedrop

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2022, 07:25:16 pm
« Reply #209 on: September 10, 2021, 06:33:29 pm »
I had the line in 1440p as well on my previous pc, and i do now in 4K on a brand new build with either version of the game i have so i’m clueless. I’m using all the known fixes. I use the updated TP version but no idea if that includes updates for specific games, the smoke is still missing on my end as well ><.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #210 on: September 16, 2021, 10:49:01 am »

I'm not really sure what the deal is with only the beta version being available. I know most of the other Chihiro games have some kind of JVS control board error when they load up, so perhaps it's related to that? I don't think the CXBXR developer is specifically working on the Chihiro games, but Outrun 2 seems to be benefiting from whatever he's doing. The beta Chihiro game runs more smoothly than the actual Xbox game on CXBXR. This seems like a good opportunity for a little video plug to show how good the progress is at the moment....

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a fantastic video bro, and the information that you provide in the description is quite fascinating! I had no idea the original arcade chihiro version of OR2 was playable in CXBXR.

I have a question.....does CXBXR supports true full force feedback and FFB wheels? I know the original version of OR2 has full FFB, so I was wondering if the emu supports it? If so, how good are the FFB effects in the original chihiro version compared to say, OR2SP DX for linbergh?

When emulation improves and progress is to the point where it's near perfect, I definitely plan on playing the original arcade version of OR2, as I have never played it except for one time a long time ago at a movie theater. It was so short and so long ago I don't remember hardly anything about it LOL.

thewool

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2022, 04:33:42 pm
« Reply #211 on: November 27, 2021, 12:56:26 pm »
Loving FXT and trying desperately to get it working well!

Running a Logitech G920 wheel on Windows 10. Everything is fine, except a FFB effect seems to lock on during the game. For example, the rumbling when you cross the cobbles gets stuck and it does that forever. The only way to get it tio stop is to exit Outrun. This problem happens nearly every time I play it.

Any thoughts all? Cheers!  :cheers:

Podbod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2022, 04:10:00 pm
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2021, 01:24:47 pm »
Ah, I've just stumbled across this thread after firing it up for the first time since I got my logitech DF shifter. I too cant get it to manual drift so it would seem to confirm its not just the ultimarc gear the other poster had.
Shame but its fine, the game never had an H shifter anyway even in the arcade. I can stick to the paddles and sequential shift instead. :) I do wonder if it'd be possible to intercept the gear changes and use a sequential shift if its only 1 different? Maybe one for the backlog and a rainy day :D

Pod
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:45:21 pm by Podbod »

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2021, 06:07:21 pm »
Ah, I've also hit the pedal override issue where it also fails to start a drift some of the time. That's more of a game changer as mine are the x and y axis of a joystick fed via an arduino. Are there other 3rd party solutions I could use to get around that?

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: December 31, 2021, 06:05:18 am »
Oh all good. I used joystick gremlin and vjoy to combine the pedals and wheel into a single device.
Does anyone know why the cursor in the menus keeps cycling up all the time? Makes it a right pain to change anything.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2021, 06:16:29 am »
Oh all good. I used joystick gremlin and vjoy to combine the pedals and wheel into a single device.
Does anyone know why the cursor in the menus keeps cycling up all the time? Makes it a right pain to change anything.

What did combining achieve, sorry?

Cursor issue in the menus is because windows is seeing one of your two pedal axes as the Joy1 y-axis. And it's at one end at rest (up) and the game reads that as default menu controls.

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2021, 06:42:29 am »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a fantastic video bro, and the information that you provide in the description is quite fascinating! I had no idea the original arcade chihiro version of OR2 was playable in CXBXR.

I have a question.....does CXBXR supports true full force feedback and FFB wheels? I know the original version of OR2 has full FFB, so I was wondering if the emu supports it? If so, how good are the FFB effects in the original chihiro version compared to say, OR2SP DX for linbergh?

When emulation improves and progress is to the point where it's near perfect, I definitely plan on playing the original arcade version of OR2, as I have never played it except for one time a long time ago at a movie theater. It was so short and so long ago I don't remember hardly anything about it LOL.

Just realised I never replied to this, soz. I've no idea about the status of FFB in CXBXR I'm afraid, I only ever play it with an Xbox 360 pad, which, off the top of my head, I don't think even has any rumble effects or anything in the game. Did any OG Xbox wheels even support FFB? As the OR2 game that's playable in CXBXR is only a beta version, it's entirely possible it hasn't got any FFB type effects at all.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2021, 07:10:20 am »

What did combining achieve, sorry?

Cursor issue in the menus is because windows is seeing one of your two pedal axes as the Joy1 y-axis. And it's at one end at rest (up) and the game reads that as default menu controls.

Combining means I don't need to use the pedal override as my pedals and wheels are seperate devices. Which is good because pedal override breaks the ability to start brake drifts correctly

For the menus, sounds like I can just remap to different axis and that should go away then

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2021, 01:44:40 pm »
OK. I thought I had this working. However I had disabled wheel override. Now when I re-enable it the menus/game just drive left. I've tried changing the joystick Id from 1-5 with no luck. I also disabled vjoy and joystick gremlin and still cant get it to work. This was fine yesterday so I'm not sure why it's now misbehaving.
Is there a way to see what joystick Id a device has?

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2021, 01:45:46 pm »
Oh and fxt is crashing on every exit of outrun which it wasn't before :(

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2021, 02:48:36 pm »
OK. All sorted. Fxt doesn't like trying to do ffb to a non ffb device and I was only changing the wheel assignment. Once I changed them both to the right I'd it stopped crashing and all started working again.

Would defo be easier if we could get some kind of Id to device name pairing tho.

Cheers

Pod

isamu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 08:15:07 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2022, 03:06:52 pm »

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just realised I never replied to this, soz. I've no idea about the status of FFB in CXBXR I'm afraid, I only ever play it with an Xbox 360 pad, which, off the top of my head, I don't think even has any rumble effects or anything in the game. Did any OG Xbox wheels even support FFB? As the OR2 game that's playable in CXBXR is only a beta version, it's entirely possible it hasn't got any FFB type effects at all.

All good brother!  :) Thanks for the reply. Well, lets see what happens. I'd be interested in hearing any news regarding the full released arcade original OR2 game working on CXBXR so if you hear anything on that front please keep me posted. I know for sure the arcade cab has FFB and from my(limited) recollection it's very good! So to be able to see that emulated with full on ffb wheel support would be a dream!! Cheers  :cheers:

Chris2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2023, 09:34:34 am
  • Servin' up Bacon.
« Reply #222 on: March 26, 2022, 07:06:44 pm »
I got everything working on this today. It came about because I bought a new wheel, the logitech G29, to use with PSVR racing games, and then I said "well what about outrun?"

I had to do more fussing with the wheel than I did with the game to get it working. Once I got Logitech's G Hub software, I was able to fully use all of the buttons, and OutRun started seeing it correctly.

The mod feels great! I can't believe how much it brings me back to those glory days of playing on one of the 4-player SDX machines. I'm still fiddling a bit with wheel settings to get it right, but generally it seems that maximizing sensitivity and setting the wheel rotation limit to 270 degrees is what really made it feel arcade- accurate.

Also, I have a follow-up question; Where are the texture mod packs to be found? I've been searching online, but I can't find any packs. I'm just looking for the "arcade accurate" pack promised in the FXT mod, but I can't find the files anywhere. Could anybody help me out with that?

Also, maybe it's just my memory, but the humans at the ending look really washed out, and have low-detail models, vs. my recollection of playing a 2006 cabinet a few months ago. I should boot it up on Xbox to make sure, but figured I would ask if anyone else had noticed this.

And, before I forget, is it possible to rebind controls so that pedal and brake confirm/cancel, as opposed to gear up/down? That's something else that has always bothered me with the PC release, figured I would ask.

Anyway, thanks again Howard for all your amazing hard work! Having this game back after moving away from the arcades I used to play it at has really brought back a great source of joy. Your work is much appreciated.
"Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?"

thewool

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2022, 04:33:42 pm
« Reply #223 on: April 25, 2022, 01:19:08 pm »
Hi there. It's good to hear you have had some luck with the G29!

May I just ask if you are able to play several games in a row with the FFB still working ok? On the G920 it sticks/stops during the first game.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 01:56:03 pm by thewool »

Titler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 02:14:32 pm
« Reply #224 on: May 15, 2022, 11:32:16 pm »
Hey all;

I just installed Outrun 2 FXT as I was playing this old classic again, and it ran fine before hand but now I've run into problems... and this thread seems to be the closest to having the answers, so here I am!

Firstly, the game is now running far, FAR too fast. I believe the issue is it needs to be locked via VSync or manually to 60hz, but it's taking the screen refresh of my monitor/desktop which runs at 144hz.  I can't find anywhere in game, in the old or FXT installers where I can force it to run at the lower speed, nor can I see anywhere in the actual files (so far) where it's saving the settings to manually edit it.

Secondly, it's not taking my 360-esque gamepad controls again; I have a vague memory this was hellishly fiddly when I first set it up, and suspect it was manually edited in but I likewise can't see where. In particular, the in game mapping is not reading the left hand stick as the left/right controls in game (although it allows me to set them as an axis), as well as thinking the left and right triggers are all a single Z axis, which I want as brake and accelerate (and not letting me set these as seperate buttons).  The FXT set up does seem to have some controls, but doesn't allow me to remap these. Any ideas where these are hiding?

Edit: After much fiddling, I think the settings for controls and video are hidden in one of the files in the SaveGame folder, probably Common.dat, as that was the only consistent file between all the various reinstalls etc I was testing. 

The problem with ignoring the left/right input was solved by unchecking "Wheel Override" under FXTConfig > Configure Controls, presumably because it locks in wheel control at the expense of the input from the gamepad.

I'm still stuck trying to force VSync / 60 or lower hz through the game only though!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 01:37:13 am by Titler »

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2022, 01:55:22 am »
There's probably a right way to do it, but... a program like RTSS will help throttle the game to 60Hz. Or any other game, to any desired limit.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 02:04:34 am by buttersoft »

Titler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2022, 02:14:32 pm
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2022, 05:59:11 pm »
There's probably a right way to do it, but... a program like RTSS will help throttle the game to 60Hz. Or any other game, to any desired limit.

I was able to externally limit it via the Nvida Control Panel from my GPU's drivers; it's under NCP > Manage 3d Settings > Program Settings and under the "Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (or2006c2c.exe)" options (NOT the FXT2.5 exe) then setting "Max Frame Rate" to 60 and toggling Vertical Sync to On.

I am not sure if this is how I tackled it under the old install, as the program was already there, but it works, and on my first try I was able to get AAA rankings on two bloody hard courses for the first time, so I'm claiming it was the prior frame rate not me that sucked, he he...

I was able to finally get the controls to stick, after getting also hit with the constantly moving menu bug; the issue seems to be the Menu Up/Down input, which was reading input from elsewhere and then being incredibly oversensitive. Recalibrating the gamepad, then try, try, trying again to remap the menu input finally allowed me to get a clean config. I'm still not sure where it's manually saving the actual input, so people can get at them and manually reconfigure (and none of the hacks or mods seem to tackle it either, so perhaps they don't) but my guess is still it's somewhere in the SavedGame folder, as copying that between clean installs replicates the broken controls for both FXT and the default client.   

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 04:57:43 am
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2022, 09:27:20 am »
Hey guys, new member here  8)

Congrats to howard for the amazing work on this mod, I especially like the course editor and rumble effects. Also, if anyone's interested, I've found the reason why the backfire graphics "disappear" on PC, and it's a bug linked to the controls. I've posted a detailed explanation in the general OR2006 hacking thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130891.msg1755912.html#msg1755912
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 06:20:55 am by SegaFan22 »

GKyl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2022, 04:56:37 am
« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2022, 02:41:58 am »
I was able to externally limit it via the Nvida Control Panel from my GPU's drivers; it's under NCP > Manage 3d Settings > Program Settings and under the "Outrun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (or2006c2c.exe)" options (NOT the FXT2.5 exe) then setting "Max Frame Rate" to 60 and toggling Vertical Sync to On.

Thanks! I was looking for that after almost giving up on playing using FXT on a modern-day computer. This should be pinned or in the official readme. :)

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2022, 07:27:48 pm »
Thanks! I was looking for that after almost giving up on playing using FXT on a modern-day computer. This should be pinned or in the official readme. :)

Well, not everyone is on Nvidia, and only newer drivers have the feature anyway. There are several other ways to skin that cat, however. Like RTSS or SpecialK.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2022, 07:12:24 am »
So Mr Thunderwing, where is OR2 Chihiro emu up to now? Can i presume on you to do another test? When it's fully working maybe we can persuade Boom to do the FFB for it!

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #231 on: September 04, 2022, 11:17:46 am »
Yo! I haven't checked in for a couple of weeks, so that question was timed well...

I just fairly recently looked into what's occurring with the Chihiro game at the moment to see if anything'd changed and made a few videos. In CXBXR, it doesn't seem like it's any different: Looking pretty good and running at a decent speed on my elderly PC, but the shadow under the car's still all messed up. One thing that did seem different though, is that it looks like the graphical benefits you got from adding some additional DXVK dll files to the folder with the EXE in are now part of the standalone build.

There's another OG Xbox emulator out there called Xemu, which I'd previously heard of, but hadn't really looked into, which is able to emulate an OG Xbox that's been modded with the extra RAM needed to run the Chihiro stuff. It doesn't have the graphical bugs of CXBXR and looks pretty much perfect but unfortunately it only runs at about 10-15fps on my 10 year old PC. I was also having the (apparently common) issue of the track abruptly ending at the end of the first stage and not being able to progress any further, despite the fact I created a patched ISO version of the game which is supposed to prevent this... I think it might be connected with the performance.

This isn't Outrun related at all, but, ehhh, if I'm shamelessly plugging a load of videos I made I might as well go the whole hog and I think this will be of interest to any arcade racing fans on here:

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #232 on: September 05, 2022, 07:40:36 am »
I like the look of over jump rally, hitting a lot of right notes for me.

I'd also like to try OR2 on Xemu, but buggered if i can even figure out where to get started after downloading it. Any chance i can sweet-talk you into writing up a guide? :)

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: September 06, 2022, 03:54:36 am »
Hi mate, it's not super user friendly, but I got it working without too much trouble by using the information from the official Xemu site here and also managing to pick out the salient bits of info needed specific to the Chihiro stuff from a thread about Xemu over at the non-English speaking forum we're both members off.

It's a bit odd though, initially I thought I had it correctly setup but it wasn't working. I closed everything down and then next time I opened it up, suddenly it was, so not sure what the magic factor that suddenly fixed it was. I'll try and remember what I did. The Xemu main site explains the basics:

"In order to actually run xemu, you must have a copy of the stuff that a real Xbox needs when it turns on:

MCPX Boot ROM Image
Flash ROM Image (BIOS)
Hard Disk Image"

They do provide a pre-built 8G Xbox HDD image, free of any copyrighted content, and only containing a dummy dashboard.

Download Pre-formatted Xbox Hard Disk Image

The rest you need to find on your own though.

I'll add a screenshot here of my Xemu System Configuration so you can see what what BIOS and MCPX boot ROM I'm using. The particular BIOS I'm using is (from what I recall) the important part when it comes to getting Chihiro games emulated as if they're running on a 128MB RAM modded Xbox.

I didn't need to doing anything about the EEPROM. I thiiiiink that's what the OG Xbox uses for it's game saves, so i think it's self generating...?

Unlike CXBXR that uses XBE files, XEMU needs ISOs of the games to run. I used a program called C-XBOX to create the outrun2.iso file from my existing Outrun 2 Chihiro XBE, which I also patched first using it (not sure what the patch does, but apparently, it's a necessary step). C-Xbox tool is pretty self-explanatory once you fire it up. you'll need to edit and rename your outrun2.xbe to Default.xbe first, before the program will recognise it.

Anyway, hope that helps.

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #234 on: September 06, 2022, 07:28:56 am »
Cheers, I'll give it another crack :)

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: September 07, 2022, 01:56:54 am »
Hey MrThunderwig, you made a big fuss about missing flames in Outrun2006 some time ago: did you see my workaround? Or you just don't care anymore  8)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 01:59:11 am by SegaFan22 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
« Reply #236 on: September 07, 2022, 03:48:43 am »
I mentioned it once in Howard's other 'Hacking Outrun 2006' thread, when I very first noticed it and mentioned it again in an Outrun 2 comparison video I made (as it was relevant to the comparisons when comparing the visuals in the different versions)... Not really a 'big fuss' is it? Let's not blow things out of proportion, eh?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 10:57:10 am by MrThunderwing »

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #237 on: September 09, 2022, 01:31:41 am »
Not really a 'big fuss' is it? Let's not blow things out of proportion, eh?

It was meant to get an answer since most of this board is either abandoned or in ignore mode.
Anyway, it's sad to see this great mod left as it is, too bad it never reached its full potential  :(

buttersoft

• Offline Offline
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #238 on: September 09, 2022, 06:01:36 am »
It was meant to get an answer since most of this board is either abandoned or in ignore mode.
Anyway, it's sad to see this great mod left as it is, too bad it never reached its full potential  :(

I'm sorry, you came in here to bait ppl? Really?

SegaFan22

• Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: September 09, 2022, 06:13:51 am »

I'm sorry, you came in here to bait ppl? Really?

Nope, I posted a workaround for the flames bug in the "Hacking OutRun 2006" thread then posted here but nobody cared. So I tried a little bit of soft trolling to gain attention and -guess what- I got it. It's sad but also enlightening at the same time  :angel: