Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Logitech driving force delay in mame when steering  (Read 683 times)

Solstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 09:41:12 am
Logitech driving force delay in mame when steering
« on: February 20, 2024, 05:49:13 am »
Hi all i have a logitech dirving force, treied it with various emu such as model2, demul etc and the steering is very fine and precise. in mame however there is some "delay" when turning it, even by cranking up the sensibility (both in game and in the logitech profiler) to maximum, the wheel needs to turn at leas 45  degrees before the car actually starts turningm this makes playing games impossible. i tired california speed, cruisn' usa and outrun all with same results

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:15:39 pm
Re: Logitech driving force delay in mame when steering
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 08:28:56 am »
My Fanatec CSL DD does the same thing.   Its something in MAME that I haven't figured out yet.

Solstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 01:18:16 pm »
seems like it can be fixed by putting "joystick eazone" to 0 in mameui.

problem is now the pedals...they don't press all the way only up to a half of it even if i am slamming on them

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:54:06 am
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 04:03:28 pm »
Read the sticked driving cab info thread.  I know it's old, but that is a basic thing it covers.

Default deadzone in MAME is 30%. lol
Saturation also needs increased to 1 (100%).
(Saturation is how far the wheel is turned before MAME sees it as being turned all the way.  If set to .5, you'll only have to turn it half as far and turning it further makes no difference.)

A steering wheel can't change direction as fast as an analog thumbstick, so most console games you have to decrease the saturation or restrict the wheel movement to 150-180° in profiler.  In some rare cases emulators have an option to act as if an original wheel controller is present if one was available.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 04:04:54 pm »
There is also usually an original emulated service (F2) menu that the wheel and pedals need calibrated in.  Analog control games aren't like plain joystick games where you can just plug in the controller and play the games, at least not without the controls sucking.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 04:09:11 pm by BadMouth »

Fursphere

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:15:39 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2024, 12:07:25 am »
A steering wheel can't change direction as fast as an analog thumbstick, so most console games you have to decrease the saturation or restrict the wheel movement to 150-180° in profiler.

I was trying to find console games worth putting on the driving cabinets a few weekends ago.   After messing with a bunch of PS1 and PS2 games, I came to the conclusion that there really aren't any worth playing.  Even the ones that support wheels (like Grand Turismo).

There might be something better in the XBOX 360 / PS3 era, but emulation there is still evolving. 

Solstar

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2024, 04:06:11 am »
There is also usually an original emulated service (F2) menu that the wheel and pedals need calibrated in.  Analog control games aren't like plain joystick games where you can just plug in the controller and play the games, at least not without the controls sucking.

yes but in this case it happens with all the other emulated games. see, if i choose this in the windows settings of the wheel
where every axis is separated (as suggested on many guides), i can assign them separately on games like so
where one is called accellerator and the other brake, but if i do it like so, the accellerator will only get up to half of the actual speed of the car, even if i smash the pedal to the fullest (please note that in the test program in windows to calibrate etc, the pedals reach the full speed with no issues, so the problem must be in mame or other emulators).

If, on the other hand, I assign them as a unique axis, they won't be recognized as pedal 1 and 2 analog AT ALL, they are just not seen in the game when i press them. they only come up as these
and only if i choose INC (which i know is wrong and shouldn't be chosen). But if i do it this way, it works, in the sense that i keep pressed the pedal and will slowly reach up the full speed of the car. of course if i leave the foot off the accellerator will keep on accelerate for a while :D

So this doesn't seems one the issue that can be solved from the typical f2 menu, considering that when i was playing with a joypad, the triggers already reached full speed without having toi calibrate anything on the test menu of the games themselves
« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 04:10:17 am by Solstar »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2024, 08:23:10 am »
Does the gas still behave that way if you don't map the brake? 
(wondering if you are being slowed down because MAME is applying the brake along with the gas)

Not a proper fix, but if MAME sees the gas as only halfway down lowering the saturation to .5 might make it consider that fully depressed.