Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pandora's Box 4s jamma harness question  (Read 4308 times)

breathsavers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2017, 08:54:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Pandora's Box 4s jamma harness question
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:18:56 am »
Hey guys, I purchased a Pandora's Box 4s+ to go in my new bartop and it came with a JAMMA harness which I assumed would be correct for the Pandora's Box. However, it appears there is only a Coin 1 wire, nothing connected on the solder side coin 2 pin, and the Coin 1 goes to a little harness with four other wires in it. The connectors on the end of the button wires also appear to be too small for my button microswitches. Am I looking at this wrong or do I need to get a different harness? If it's cheaper maybe someone could point me in the right direction for the correct size connectors for larger microswitches? Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 11:23:11 am by breathsavers »

woosdom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2020, 12:48:51 pm
Re: Pandora's Box 4s jamma harness question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:58:23 pm »
I think I saw a video on youtube awhile back about an adapter for the harness and  for the coin buttons. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 09:29:52 pm »
look for a Jamma to CHamma adapter
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 07:04:45 pm »
The pandoras box/game elf units uses a not quite JAMMA harness often called hilariously nicknamed CHAMMA (Chinese Amusement Machine and Marketing Association)

the difference being position E/27 on the JAMMA harness that is normally used as an additional ground for the system has been repurposed in the CHAMMA harness as game button #6 input. installing a CHAMMA board onto the JAMMA harness results in P1 and P2 button 6 being constantly pressed down, and depending on if anything is using positions E and 27 as ground...will not function.

the reason your harness only has coin 1 hooked up is because the pandoras box only HAS one coin input. (that doesn't operate properly without modifying the pandoras box board anyways) this machine isn't meant to be coin operated.

I have no idea what the stupid little extra wires connections attached onto the coinline are for, I just cut them off.

breathsavers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 09:08:37 am »
The pandoras box/game elf units uses a not quite JAMMA harness often called hilariously nicknamed CHAMMA (Chinese Amusement Machine and Marketing Association)

the difference being position E/27 on the JAMMA harness that is normally used as an additional ground for the system has been repurposed in the CHAMMA harness as game button #6 input. installing a CHAMMA board onto the JAMMA harness results in P1 and P2 button 6 being constantly pressed down, and depending on if anything is using positions E and 27 as ground...will not function.

the reason your harness only has coin 1 hooked up is because the pandoras box only HAS one coin input. (that doesn't operate properly without modifying the pandoras box board anyways) this machine isn't meant to be coin operated.

I have no idea what the stupid little extra wires connections attached onto the coinline are for, I just cut them off.

Thanks for this reply, very helpful. The manual for the Pandora's Box 4S+ says that there are two coin inputs... I have a JAMMA harness coming so I guess I'll try it out and compare the two.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 09:17:39 am »
The first run of boards required the u22f mod for "coin debouncing" it was fixed in later revisions but when you probably bought a bootleg of a bootleg of a bootleg; your board might still need it. You can also mod the switch on the coin mech instead of soldering the boards :)

The boards were meant to coin operated, though, as bootlegs. They are mass produced at minimum cost, and despite the under-powered A13 CPU and generally poor emulation (especially the king of air boards) people just gobble them up.

I have a king of air PCB , which is the same hardware as a pandora, but I used a custom image on it with better emulators and what not.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 09:27:36 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:29:12 am »

The first run of boards required the u22f mod for "coin debouncing" it was fixed in later revisions but when you probably bought a bootleg of a bootleg of a bootleg; your board might still need it. You can also mod the switch on the coin mech instead of soldering the boards :)

I think it was more... made the board... it didn't work and people complained... apply fix to board (capacitor)... get cheap and save 2 cents and stop putting cap on the board...tell people who complain to fix board with the cap if they want the coin line.  :dunno

either way, it's gonna need to be "fixed".

breathsavers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2017, 08:54:19 pm »
So for reference, the 4S+ works fine with regular JAMMA harness. Coin 1 and Coin 2 work although I think it does just register as the same "coin." I guess you could just jumper the coin buttons together or use coin1 and coin2.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 09:12:41 pm »
So for reference, the 4S+ works fine with regular JAMMA harness. Coin 1 and Coin 2 work although I think it does just register as the same "coin." I guess you could just jumper the coin buttons together or use coin1 and coin2.

3,4,and 4S are all the same hardware.