Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A few wiring and configuration questions  (Read 1307 times)

Shimshon816

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2019, 06:56:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
A few wiring and configuration questions
« on: December 08, 2017, 10:56:47 am »
I've been lurking here for a while, and I've learned quite a bit. I appreciate all the advice and guidance I've gotten through eavesdropping. It inspired me to start my first build,  which I have named "The Helicarrier".

I'm ready to start connecting buttons and joysticks to an I-pac ultimate, but I'm not sure what button numbering  layout to use.

Right now, I'll mostly be using it with Retropie (A lot of A NEW, Genesis, and some MAME). Sooner or later, I'm adding a pedestal with a purpose built HTPC running Hyperspin. For any 3D games, I have Bluetooth PS3 controllers, so I'm now worried about those on the panel.

From what I've seen, the standard layout is:

With 7 buttons:

I've seen some suggestions for this:

I know I can change settings for each emulator and game, but at this stage, I want to plug the physical parts together in the way that will be the most intuitive.

Questions:
What's the best assignment for the 7 buttons on players 1 and 2?

What corresponds best to p3 and p4?

Does it make sense to piggy-back the 4-way and flight stick to p1 stick and p1 buttons 1 and 2?

Once I get it wired and start messing with the i-pac software, I'm probably going to have more questions. Thanks in advance to anyone with ideas.

P.S.: I didn't angle p3 and p4 sticks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Titchgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
Re: A few wiring and configuration questions
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 03:55:40 am »
Ok so button layout is a personal thing everyone has different opinions but I always recommend this setup for 7 Button

Or

Reason being you a Standard 6 button layout but also a 4 button layout for NEO GEO.

I prefer the 1st so ime not reaching over buttons and corresponds better to Genesis controls (in my head)

Regarding the actual numbers though it makes no difference as they are completely configurable in each emu or even game in MAMEs case.

You can piggy back sticks and buttons if you want to save inputs. I would prefer seperate though to avoid any accidental inputs from the secondary controls being knocked.