Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Rally - Racing Game series details and comparisons  (Read 8118 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Sega Rally - Racing Game series details and comparisons
« on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:58 pm »
Sega Rally - the racing game series
====================================

I've always liked the rally series from sega.
There were arcade version of all 3 games.

Sega Rally Championship
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally 3

In addition there were many home versions, and
another stand alone game 'sega rally revo' for the
pc and consoles, along with sega rally 2006 for the ps2
in japan.

This listing is dedicated to detailing the differences,
the handling and gameplay of each one.

Also, details about the systems used to run it,
or how to run them on pc's and emulators if possible.

========================================================
All games are based on racing a few courses against a number
of cars, and progressing by time (not racing position, except for Revo).

So you can't really really come in first place until the
end of the very last race.
--------------------------------------------------------
my background
============================================================================
played virtua racing for several months in the arcade, and then several more
on the sega genesis, and saturn. learned how to win 1st on all tracks.

daytona took a couple of weeks in the arcade to master coming
in 1st on all races, and advanced ones. i did play it for several months
when it came out for the saturn, and the pc versions.

sega rally - i played it for a couple of weeks in the arcade to master it,
and come in first on all races. i then played it for a few more months
to research writing a comprehensive FAQ on it. i then played it for several
more months when it came out for the saturn, and pc.

sega rally 2 - never saw it in the arcades, i played it on the PC for several
weeks to master it (still never got a hang of the u-turns). then i tried it
briefly years later on the dreamcast. the pc version had a 10 year
championship which took a few months to finish and master.

indy 500 - played it for several months in arcade to master it, and come in
1st on all courses. wrote a detailed FAQ about it also. played it for a few
more weeks on PC with m2 emulator.

sega rally 2006 - played it for a few weeks on the PS2, but gave up.
currently playing it on PC, with emulator. never made much progress
when i did play it.

sega rally revo - played it for a few months on pc/xbox 360 when it came out, and got
about 1/3 way through the game before giving up. 7 years later, i am now almost finished after a few weeks of playing

and still trying to come in first on all the tracks and time trials.

sega rally online - played it for a few weeks on xbox 360, and came in first on all courses
very quickly.

sega rally 3 - have not played in arcade, working on playing it on pc. i anticipate
it will be very easy to finish, as it is almost identical to sega rally online.
====================================================================

Comparisons of all games in the series
----------------------------------------------

Code: [Select]
game         races         steering type    friction effects  difficulty and car AI
========================================================================================
sega rally     3+1           direct           minimal           medium - hard for 1st
sega rally 2   3+1           direct           partial           medium - hard for 1st
sega rally 3   3+1           direct           minimal           easy - medium for 1st
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sega rally
online         3+1           direct           minimal           easy - medium for 1st
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
sega rally
revo          variable       spring tension   major             hard - hardest for 1st
sega rally
2006          variable       direct           minimal           medium - hard for 1st

steering types
-----------------
direct - most normal racing games all use this type of steering,
         the direction and intensity applied directly impact the cars
         ability to turn

spring tension - the force applied to steering applies for a short time frame.
                 even if you hold it for longer period of times, then there is
                 NO impact. short taps work at times, but for long drifts, the
                 direction is only held if the car has enough friction and speed
                 to maintain it.

impacts of drifting and friction
=========================================================
sega rally - it is crucial to drift through turns in order to win.
             you can either brake or downshift to initiate drifts.

there are several turns on dirt and road that if you start drifting
             you can maintain it throughout. the lakeside bonus track is
             almost completely dirt that requires drifting through almost the
             entire track

sega rally 2 - again, drifting is crucial through turns on dirt, and snow
               you can brake, or downshift and also a handbrake for u-turns.

the snow course requires drifting almost through the entire course.

sega rally 3 - there are a few turns that need drifting, but most areas do not.
(and online)   although it looks like there is track deformation on sand, snow,
               and dirt, there is very little effect on the handling of the cars

sega rally revo - depending on which car you pick, there is huge variation in 
                  the cars ability to drift. some cars are very loose in their
                  handling, others require much more force to turn.

each track has a huge impact on the cars, and snow, dirt, and
                  sand all greatly affect the ability of the cars drift ability.

every track has multiple turns that require drifting.

car competition AI
--------------------
sega rally, sega rally 2, sega rally 3 (and online)
DEFAULT SETTINGS
----------------------------------------------------
in all these cases the rally is broken into 3 main races, and if you finish
1st you get to race in a bonus race.

the competition is very easy for the 1st and 2nd races, and the lower positions
allow you to pass 3-5 cars in each one. they are completely predictable, and
ramp up in a linear difficulty.

the 3rd place car is medium difficulty to pass, where the 2nd place and
1st require very aggressive driving and mistake free driving.

compared to daytona - which has many more cars to pass, the top cars are
the hardest to beat.

sega rally revo
==========================================
quick race mode - easy, medium, hard - similar to arcade AI

championship - variable ramping, that is exponentially harder.

in revo, there are always 6 opponents.
----------------------------------------
the last 3 cars are always the easiest to pass, and the 3rd place is
much harder, and the 2nd place is harder still, while the 1st place car
races a near perfect line.

during the races, all cars very aggresively hit you, try to pass you,
and block your path. another factor that makes it very hard is that
sometimes when you crash, you lose all momentum and speed which is
very hard to recover from. there are areas you can bounce off walls
or the sides of roads without losing speed.

there are some other issues to deal with -
if championship mode you must race a series of rallies, mostly 3,
sometimes 4. the biggest problem is YOU NEVER get to start in 1st
place, despite winning the race. you ALWAYS start in 6th place
for each race.

to come in 1st place in each race consistently, you have to pick
the right car out of 6 choices. and although there is only off-road
and road tires (which almost always favors the off-road), each makes
a huge impact on the car chosen.

we will focus on the individual games next.

later

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
Re: Sega Rally - Racing Game series details and comparisons
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
I don't understand what you're saying about spring-tension vs direct steering. Could you go into more depth about that part?

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 12:54:03 am »
I don't understand what you're saying about spring-tension vs direct steering. Could you go into more depth about that part?

if you are using a gamepad, with analog control sticks. (like the xbox 360 controller).

the description is how the controls work. instead of being able to directly control your car with a 1-1 control as in most car racing
games, sega rally revo does NOT let you control the car at all times, and also you can't steer it directly either.

it responds to taps, and if you hold it in a direction (say to the left), it will only go in that direction for a small amount of time.

it's very unintuitive and takes awhile to get used to.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 01:01:30 am »
Sega Rally Championship
-----------------------

versions: 1994-1995
arcade (also direct x update)
pc
sega saturn
ngage
game boy advantage
sony ps2 [as add on to sega rally 2005]
pc emulator

This port was of excellent quality and looked much better than PlayStation racing games of the same era. It ran in smooth 30 frames per second (25 frames in Europe due to the PAL system) and looked very much like the arcade original. Exceptions are non-transparent windows, since SEGA's Saturn could not generate transparencies in 3D graphics, as well as the draw distance, which was shorter than in the arcade game. Also, the screen resolution had to be cut in half, and the 3D models were scaled down. A PC port based on the Saturn version followed about one year later. It looked exactly like the Saturn version until SEGA released a patch for Microsofts DirectX 5 renderer. This patch modernised the graphics heavily. However, it made the PC version look far less related to the original arcade game, since it used a smoothing texture filter and brighter textures. The biggest difference between the original and its home versions is the option to drive three laps on each of the four implemented tracks instead of only one lap. Good players could also unlock an extra car: the Lancia Stratos. In the arcades there were only a Toyota Celica and a Lancia Delta to choose from.

-----------
Sega Rally Championship is a 1994 arcade racing game developed by AM5 on the Sega Model 2 board. It was ported over to the Sega Saturn (by AM3) in 1995 and PC in 1997. The unique selling point of Sega Rally was the ability to drive on different surfaces (including asphalt, gravel and mud), with different friction properties, with the car's handling changing accordingly. As the first racing game to incorporate this feature, Sega Rally is considered to be one of the milestones in the evolution of the racing game genre. It was also an early rally racing game and featured cooperative gameplay alongside the usual competitive multiplayer.

The player can enter a "World Championship" mode consisting of three stages: Desert (which resembles African savanna), Forest (which resembles South American forests) and Mountain (which is based on a shortened Circuit de Monaco), where their finishing position at the end of one course is carried through to the starting position of the next course. In this mode, it is impossible to reach first-place position by the end of the first track; thus, the player must try to overtake as many opponent cars as possible on each track (while staying within the time limit), and gain the lead over several tracks. If, at the end of the third round, the player is in first place, they are able to play a fourth secret circuit called "Lakeside" (on the Saturn version, this course may then be played in time attack and split-screen multiplayer modes).

Three cars are featured in the game; Didier Auriol's third generation Toyota Celica GT-Four and Juha Kankkunen's Lancia Delta HF Integrale which are both available from the start, and Sandro Munari's Lancia Stratos HF which is unlocked by finishing Lakeside in first place in home versions of the game. Players are given the option to drive each car in either manual or automatic transmission.

The game supports up to four players using cabinets linked together.

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 12:55:20 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 05:54:13 pm »
it responds to taps, and if you hold it in a direction (say to the left), it will only go in that direction for a small amount of time.

Yeah i thought that must be it, but that's insanely stupid. Thanks for the info.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 02:47:15 am »

Yeah i thought that must be it, but that's insanely stupid. Thanks for the info.

I don't have a steering wheel, well actually i do, but it's not a native 360 one, and I haven't tried
using it with the game.

i wonder if the control and handling is different for people that have one.

---------

believe it or not, i actually got used to it after a few weeks. in some ways it makes the game more challenging of course, but it mimics
the way the developers thought that driving over different substances would feel. the car model has more of a response to dirt, mud,
snow, and tarmac.

i have actually come to like it for the game, in a sort of simulation kind of way.

its got a large but satisfying learning curve, when you learn how it works, and coming in first on all the rallies, is a very tough but
rewarding achievement.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 02:48:03 am »
Sega Rally 2
------------
versions: 1998-1999
arcade
pc
dreamcast
pc emulator

Sega Rally Championship 2 was released on Sega's Model 3 hardware. A port was released for SEGA's Dreamcast console and belonged to the very first games of the system at the Japanese release in November 1998. However, the Dreamcast version suffered from an unstable frame rate and wasn't as successful as its predecessor. The arcade original featured only four courses, while the port had between one and three courses for each of the five implemented environments, all wrapped up in a so-called 10-year championship. Again, a PC port followed. Sega Rally Championship 2 on DC and PC featured a lot of tuning options for the cars, including choice of tires and suspension, which could not be found in the arcades.
-----------
As with the predecessor, Sega Rally Championship, the object of the game is to successfully drive along a track while reaching checkpoints and thus be rewarded with more time to enable the player to reach the goal. Sega Rally 2 added new vehicles, new environment settings for the circuits (including snowy tracks and a course set on an island), as well as including multiple circuits in each environment type. An updated version of the original game's Desert track was also included.

The Dreamcast and PC versions of the game also included a "10-year championship" mode. The Dreamcast version ported using Windows CE, had a frame rate half that of the arcade version.

The Toyota Celica GT-Four ST-205, Lancia Delta HF Integrale and the unlockable Lancia Stratos HF returned from the original game as selectable cars, along with newer Toyota and Lancia cars, as well as cars from Mitsubishi, Subaru, Fiat, Peugeot, Renault, and Ford (which is not available in the European and North American copies of the Dreamcast game).

============================================================

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 02:20:55 pm »
Console / PC exclusives
========================================
Sega Rally 2006
---------------
Sony PS2 (japan only)

Sega Rally 2006 abandon all the vehicles from Sega Rally 2 to introduce a brand new selection. The three original 1995 classics, Celica WRC '94, Delta WRC '92 & Stratos WRC '77 being also included as hidden Extra cars. Some Sega Rally 2006 Open Class cars are Mark Lovell's Pikes Peak International HillClimb winning Impreza WRX ProRally '03 (the same model appearing in Enthusia Professional Racing), Tim O'Neil's Focus SVT ProRally '03 and the Lancer Evolution VIII MR ProRally '03. The Subaru Impreza and the Evo retain the same colors used in the original Xbox rally game, Rallisport Challenge 2.

Sega Rally 2006 features three game modes: Career Mode, Arcade Mode and the classical Time Attack Mode.

The Arcade Mode is based on checkpoints. The driver select between "Series 1" (Easy), "Series 2" (Normal) or "Series 3" (Hard) for a 4-stages championship with the goal to reach the pole position by the end of the series and to become the Champion. The driver starts each series from the 15th position and race on various predetermined weather/daytime conditions in European, Asian, African, North American, Scandinavian or Circuit rounds. It is possible to race the Arcade Mode with Professional, Extra or Career tuned cars. After completing the first Series, another set of stages is unlocked as "Series 4", "Series 5" & "Series 6". Beating this second set of stages unlocks the three "Extra" cars taken from Sega Rally Championship 1995.
Career is Sega Rally 2006's core with four race types: 1on1 Versus CPU, Race against seven AI controlled cars, Time Attack & Total time series Rally. The Career mode is divided in two steps Amateur and Professional each one with its own "Open", "Class 1" & "Class 2" series. The "Sega Rally Championship" is only available once the driver has become Professional.

-----------------------------
later

VirtuaIceMan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:29:51 am
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 03:53:09 pm »
Are you aware of the rare Direct3D version of Sega Rally 1 on PC, that was bundled with a particular Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo1 card? vetz took my rip of it and engineered a patch for the original game!

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32316&p=603935
Check out my racing game videos, including every PC F1 and Rally game ever, over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/VirtuaIceMan/

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2017, 12:16:00 am »
Are you aware of the rare Direct3D version of Sega Rally 1 on PC, that was bundled with a particular Orchid Righteous 3D Voodoo1 card? vetz took my rip of it and engineered a patch for the original game!

http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=32316&p=603935

Thanks for the information. I did not know about this. Its interesting people are still trying to get it to work,
i figured most just use the emulators nowadays.

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 09:41:24 am »
Sega Rally Revo
----------------
PC
Xbox 360
ps3
ps portable

Cars and tracks
There are 34 vehicles in total, which are divided into 3 groups: Premier Class (4WD cars), Modified Class (2WD & Super 2000 cars) and Master Class (mostly classic rally cars). There are also several bonus cars - such as Dakar rally types, hill climbers, buggies, etc. - in every class, which can be unlocked with points one as you progress through Championship Mode, plus an overall bonus car for getting 100% in championship mode. The (non-bonus) cars each have 3 different liveries and all have 2 setups. The setup is either off road, with better grip on loose surfaces, or tarmac, with higher top speed and more grip on hard surfaces. The different environments all feature three tracks (of which some can also be raced in reverse direction - at a different time of day) except for the bonus environment Lakeside that only has a single race track, and again are unlocked as you progress through Championship Mode.

the game was developed at the SEGA Racing Studio in Solihull, England. There are over 30 different rally cars to choose from, and six different environments, with 16 tracks in total. The game was developed with the GeoDeformation engine, which makes the terrain dynamically deformable, with effects to the cars' performances. Multiplayer mode allows two players to race with split-screen, whereas online multiplayer can be set to up six racers

----------------------

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2017, 08:52:03 am »
Sega Rally 3
------------
versions: 2008-2011
arcade
xbox 360 (as sega rally online)
sony ps3 (as sega rally online)
pc emulator

Sega Rally 3 was released in 2008 and is a condensed version of Sega Rally Revo for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC. So this time the port went the other way around. Sega Rally 3 was released as Sega Rally Online Arcade for Xbox 360 and PS3 in 2011 and came full circle from consoles to arcades and back again.

---------

Sega Rally 3 contains three racing modes: World Championship, Quick Race and Classic. World Championship mode is a single player game which takes place across three stages (Tropical, Canyon and Alpine) and largely follows the format of the previous Sega Rally arcade games. The game is a 22 car race played to a time limit, and the player's starting position for one race is determined by their finishing position in the previous race. Unlike the previous games in the series, each race contains two laps. If the player finishes the third stage in first place, they are able to play a head to head race on the bonus Lakeside track.

Quick Race is a single or multiplayer mode, in which six cars (containing any mixture of human and AI players) race three laps on any of the three World Championship courses. In World Championship and Quick Race modes, players can choose from one of six licensed cars from Citroën C4 WRC, Ford Focus RS WRC 07, Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X, Peugeot 207 S2000, Subaru Impreza WRC 08 and Suzuki SX4 WRC. Additionally, in Quick Race players can choose two secret cars: the Bowler Nemesis and the McRae Enduro.

Classic mode is a single or multiplayer mode which takes place on the Desert '95 track, recreated from the original Sega Rally arcade game. In single player, the mode is a head to head race against a single AI opponent, while multiplayer allows for up to six human players with no AI opponents. The sixth generation Toyota Celica GT-Four and Lancia Delta HF Integrale cars from the original Sega Rally can be used in this mode exclusively.

------------------------------------------

later

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
here are some secrets for each of the games

sega rally
-----------

console
--------
Hold A + X + Z at the final options screen   Clean Screen
On the main menu, hold X+Y then press A, B, B, A   Extra Speed
On the mode selection screen, press X, Y, X, Y, X, then hold Down while selecting car   Hidden Car
On the main menu, hold X+Y and choose the Time Attack Mode, Two Player Battle, or Arcade Practice Mode   Hidden Course
On the Car Select screen Hold X and then press C   Hyper Car Mode
On the Mode Select screen press X + Y   Lakeside Track
On the game selection screen, hold Y+C   Mirror Mode
On car selection screen, hold X+C   Power up your car
Choose a car and track in time attack mode, choose 3 laps, then hold X and Y and press C   Race against an AM3 driver (PAL Version only)
On the Mode Select screen press X, Y, Z, Y, X   Stratos Car
On the screen with "3 laps2 and "Free Run" options, highlight "3 laps" and press X + Z + C   Ultimate Challenge

arcade
-------

1) new informational view

----------- Trick 1--------------------------------------------------

Hold down START and VIEW when selecting car will get alternate view.
(No rear view mirror seconds clock in bottom righthand of screen along
with a split time based on best time the machine has in memory.
Figure is red if you are beating the best time (as well as shows minus
figure eg -0.80)

----------- Trick 2--------------------------------------------------

2) instant select screen
   to get into the game without having to wait for the 10 second timer
   (and have somebody jump in on you)
   press brake , and gas simultaneously , insert coins, and hold
   down both buttons (start and view) and BANG! instant select screen,
   NO WAITING !

----------- Trick 3--------------------------------------------------

3) different car characteristics
   to get different car capabilities (slides more easily)
   press brake and gas, and while selecting you car (either one)
   shift 1st/2nd/3rd/4th and you will hear a WHOOOSH! sound which
   means you did it right, now the car handles differently as you
   will soon see.

sega rally 2:
----------------------------------------------
Console
---------
Sega Rally 2  FAQ / Codes

[1] Secret Rally track:
           Finish in first place in every year under "10 Year
Championship" mode.

[2] Less detailed tracks:
           At the track or mode selection screen, press Y or R when
making a choice. Then the track will be less detailed and the race timer
will appear on the right side of the screen.

[3] Alternate car colors:
           At the car selection screen, highlight a car and press L.

[4] Bonus cars:
           There are an additional twelve cars that can be unlocked and
controlled. Enter "10 Year Championship" mode and finish first in every
year. A new car is unlocked for each year with a first place finish.
Note: Only one new car is unlocked per year; completing the same year
multiple times in first place has no effect.

Year             Car
      1             Subaru Impreza 555
      2             Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 4
      3             Toyota Celica GT-Four ST-185
      4             Mitsubishi Lancer EVO 3
      5             Peugeot 106 Maxi
      6             Lancia Delta Integrale
      7             Fiat 131 Abarth
      8             Peugeot 205 Turbo
      9             Renault Alpine A110
      10            LANCIA 037 Rally

PS:
   Two additional bonus cars are unlocked by playing in arcade mode. The
Renault Maxi Megane is unlocked after finishing in seventh place or
better on the "Easy" difficulty setting. The second car is unlocked by
finishing in first place on the "Expert" difficulty setting.

arcade
-------
1. Extra Cars from Sega Rally 1

- After the machine installed and run for more than 30 days &
100 games played, press the SELECT button and pull the HANDBRAKE
at the same time on car selection screen, then you'll see the
Lancia Delta & Toyota Celica slide into the screen from left.

2. Time Difference Mode

- Press the SELECT button and pull the HANDBRAKE at the same
time after name entry, hold it until the game start, then
you will playing the game with "Time Difference Mode"

3. No Handicap for linked game

- All players step on the brake to choose course when play
linked games. release brake when the game start.

4. Score Attack Mode

- After the machine installed and run for more than 30 days &
100 games played, choose Championship mode, in stage 4 "Riviera"
there's 2 hairpin corners, knock down 2 pylons from left to
right after the 2nd hairpin in 1st lap, then in 2nd lap you should
see an entrnace opened on your left hand side after the 2nd hairpin
corner. Go inside and have fun!(an extra 30 seconds added to your
game)

sega rally 3:
--------------------------------------------
Bonus Cars (Quick Race & VS Mode only)
Hold down the brake pedal during the 'car select' screen to reveal the Bowler Nemesis & Mcrae Enduro. Note: Keep the brake held down when selecting or you will accidentally choose a normal car.

sega rally revo
-----------------

New races, cars and liveries
Any car you can drive in Quick Race can get two new liveries. Drive the required distance to get a new (max three total)

To unlock new races, earn enough points in any class.

To unlock a new car, you need a certain amount of points in a class. Go to car choice, and then furthest to the right to see requirements for next unlockable car.

Unlockable   How to Unlock
Car: Icelandic racer   Get 200 points in Masters class
Car: Mini Cooper S Rally   Win the Premier final
Expert Races   Get 130 points in any class
Extra livery 1   Drive 20 miles (32 km)
Extra livery 2   Drive 50 miles (81 km)
Final   Get 275 points in any class
Professional races   Get 80 points in any class.

later

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2018, 01:14:45 am
  • Yes, I really am still working on it!
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2017, 06:25:17 pm »
I use a Logitech wheel with Revo, but it needs an XBox controller emulator. Not sure if that counts for your reviews or whatever, but thought I'd mention it. It works well.

I have instructions in this thread. Currently it's the last post.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150120.0.html
"Computer Space" (1st coin-op game ever) for MAME Front Ends Available Now!
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,155041.0.html

My Custom Motorcycle Cabinet Build For Custom Game (Daredevil Dave):
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151106.0.html

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2017, 10:50:09 pm »
I use a Logitech wheel with Revo, but it needs an XBox controller emulator. Not sure if that counts for your reviews or whatever, but thought I'd mention it. It works well.

I have instructions in this thread. Currently it's the last post.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,150120.0.html

Thanks, i saw your post before, but can't really try it out due to a lack of that kind of wheel.

can you comment on how the racing controls feel with a wheel. Are you able to continuously adjust your steering with the wheel?
(with a pad controller you can't....)

thanks

later
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 10:52:10 pm by negative1 »

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 05:50:15 pm »
It works just like it should. I can steer a little or a lot and hold it. It seems perfect. Same with the throttle and brake. Nice and smooth. I've had no problems with the setup and emulator, and I've played it a lot.

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2017, 07:45:45 pm »
It works just like it should. I can steer a little or a lot and hold it. It seems perfect. Same with the throttle and brake. Nice and smooth. I've had no problems with the setup and emulator, and I've played it a lot.

Thats interesting, I will try to figure out a way to play it with a wheel, that should make it more pleasing to people that only tried it with a pad (perhaps).

later

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 12:42:15 am »
Far as I know using a wheel can only be done with an emulator. I couldn't even get it to work with a non-xbox game pad.

I wanted to mention that force feedback works as well. I don't know much about the quality or accuracy of it, but it seems okay to me. My wheel is a Logitech Force Feedback Pro I think. It's pretty old.

Setting it up was confusing (for me anyways) so I made that tutorial.

I have a question if you or anyone can answer. Which version of Model 3 is best for SEGA Rally 2?

My issues with the game are, depending on the M3 version used, either the dust particles or texture alpha is wonky, or the music has a weird pop to it, almost like part of a second track is being played along with the music. I find the game unplayable because of it. Maybe the music can be disabled?

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:30:55 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 10:10:53 am »
I believe the popping audio you mention is to do with an issue with the way certain builds of Supermodel have been compiled with Visual Studio (normally the ones you get from places like EmuCR). If you try the the latest build compiled over at the Supermodel forum you should be sorted: http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1206

P.S. Happy 2018 everyone! Hope your heads aren't as sore as mine this morning
Time to start that January detox...
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 10:16:29 am by MrThunderwing »

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 01:51:28 am »
I believe the popping audio you mention is to do with an issue with the way certain builds of Supermodel have been compiled with Visual Studio (normally the ones you get from places like EmuCR). If you try the the latest build compiled over at the Supermodel forum you should be sorted: http://www.supermodel3.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1206

Thank you I will give it a try. :)

DaredevilDave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2018, 10:38:02 pm »

Thank you I will give it a try. :)

This definitely fixed the issue and many others, thank you very much! I was using two separate versions of M3 and now all the games I have run fine in just one.

For anyone else, this fixed missing textures in Le Mans and Harley, and a ton of other things. Huge improvement!

negative1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 10:57:00 am »
Sega Rally Revo
----------------
PC
Xbox 360
ps3
ps portable

Cars and tracks
There are 34 vehicles in total, which are divided into 3 groups: Premier Class (4WD cars), Modified Class (2WD & Super 2000 cars) and Master Class (mostly classic rally cars). There are also several bonus cars - such as Dakar rally types, hill climbers, buggies, etc. - in every class, which can be unlocked with points one as you progress through Championship Mode, plus an overall bonus car for getting 100% in championship mode. The (non-bonus) cars each have 3 different liveries and all have 2 setups. The setup is either off road, with better grip on loose surfaces, or tarmac, with higher top speed and more grip on hard surfaces. The different environments all feature three tracks (of which some can also be raced in reverse direction - at a different time of day) except for the bonus environment Lakeside that only has a single race track, and again are unlocked as you progress through Championship Mode.

the game was developed at the SEGA Racing Studio in Solihull, England. There are over 30 different rally cars to choose from, and six different environments, with 16 tracks in total. The game was developed with the GeoDeformation engine, which makes the terrain dynamically deformable, with effects to the cars' performances. Multiplayer mode allows two players to race with split-screen, whereas online multiplayer can be set to up six racers

----------------------

later

Revisiting this now.

Bought a psp 2000 model just to play this game.
It was about $5 used for the game, and $50 for a psp.

I modded the psp firmware to infinity 6 to play isos also, and other hacks.

Turns out the game has different tracks, i'm playing through it now.

Framerate is good.

Also, you can play it at higher res, and with much better pc controls using the PPSSPP emulator,
capture video, screenshots, etc.

later