Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade pushbuttons: original VS "modern" (ex. current Happ series) VS GGG ClassX  (Read 643 times)

OTT

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 08:09:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hello folks!

I would like to ask your opinion on the subject in question, in particular regarding the aspects of comfort and performance. I mean, the old original arcade pushbuttons were less comfortable to press compared to current Happs (or clones)? Or were they better? What about ClassX pushbuttons instead? I'm referring to long gaming sessions and/or to games that require continuous button presses.

And what about "performance"? I mean "smoothness" and speed of operation.

Any feedback from anyone who is lucky enough to have tried all 3 types of pushbuttons is greatly appreciated!

P.S.: I forgot to say that I'm referring to the differences attributable only to the design of the buttons, not the type of switches they use (used)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 02:58:22 pm by OTT »

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
I use the happs competitions for fighting games but I would bet most around here like old school concave happs. :applaud:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

bobbyb13

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:59:55 am
  • I believe I may need an intervention
Admittedly, I am kind of a retro-grouch, but I have tried MANY different types and nothing beats the feel of a good ol' concave leaf switch button to me.

It's all about what feels right to you really.

And for not merely the level of hysteresis for any given button/switch combination,  the type of switch makes a huge difference in how the button feels and functions and the fatigue induced so you should certainly consider it in your decision.

There are massive differences in the actuation pressure of different microswitches, never mind how that compares to a leaf type switch.
Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools! I can fix it.

OTT

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2023, 08:09:07 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Thank for the feedback, friends! Yeah, I'm also inclined towards the true old leaf buttons ... I have no intentions of using microswitches  ;D

What I'm trying to understand/know, however, is whether the different designs of these three types of pushbuttons have an appreciable impact in terms of comfort for the user. To make me understand better: the old original arcade buttons were tall and (I seem to remember) rather concave... in my opinion very aesthetically pleasing but perhaps they could cause some discomfort to the fingertips after intense and/or prolonged use.

The modern design (i.e. current Happ concave) are much lower (the plunger rises less, above the bezel) and the concave shape is much flatter: I think this design is more comfortable in continuous use, but it's also the less attractive of the three (IMHO). Finally, the ClassX pushbuttons are a middle ground between the previous two, with a less pronounced concave shape than the original arcade buttons but perhaps a hair more than the current Happs. Also, the bezel is more "meaningful" than the current Happs, much more similar to that of the original buttons, which I definitely like.

However I think that the originals are more beautiful overall, so ultimately I'm trying to understand if I can install buttons with the design of the originals without incurring in discomfort or if it is better to leave it alone and lean instead towards the ClassX. I hope I managed to make myself understood better!