Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rob is new  (Read 3216 times)

Rob91

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2017, 07:13:08 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Rob is new
« on: November 24, 2017, 02:06:15 pm »
Hello every one I want to build a arcade machine for my gal, this will be the first I've done something like this, I plan on making it 4 players with a large television 4 LCD screen whichever is cheaper. I'm worried about power tool because this week be a budget build. What tools so I need and were can u find then at a good price?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:28:11 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Rob is new
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 03:59:05 pm »
Oh, and I'm sure it's "Gal's" too. Women just love big ugly stupid ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like this.

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 12:27:37 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 04:03:25 pm »
for a first timer, I'd stick with 2 players to start with. getting a 4player all properly lined up and wired can be a pretty daunting task. 2 players is a whole lot less messing around.

since you describe this as a BUDGET build... stick to getting an old cabinet from a vendor or route operator...they will often GIVE them away...and then modify/build it how you want.

recommended tools??? ...

Probably first and foremost a voltohm meter. You are going to want to check for proper voltages, broken wires... this is the tool you need to do it. don't go super cheap 6 dollar store special... but you don't need to spend 500 on one either. something in the 20 or 30 range is fine. it will be safe and accurate. "Autoranging" type is better if you are new to using a meter.

aside from that? general tools... screwdrivers, hammer, etc. maybe some woodglue. hard to say really. depends on what you end up doing. going to be drilling some holes for buttons and stuff, so you will need a drill...maybe some drill bits. (size depends on what buttons you choose.)

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:32:31 pm »
Oh, and I'm sure it's "Gal's" too. Women just love big ugly stupid ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- like this.
   I know right?.... She probably tells her friends your a doctor or something. >:D

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 04:40:04 pm »

By his “gal” he could be referring to his man cave Brosef :p

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 11:29:27 am »
From my years of having a home arcade I have found that women are generally drawn to puzzle games, driving games, trivia games, Ms Pac-Man and Galaga. They generally don't play TMNT, XMen and the like unless coerced into it, and then usually don't have a good time.

Just my observations based on what I have seen women play at my parties over the years.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 01:42:49 pm »
From my years of having a home arcade I have found that women are generally drawn to puzzle games, driving games, trivia games, Ms Pac-Man and Galaga. They generally don't play TMNT, XMen and the like unless coerced into it, and then usually don't have a good time.

Just my observations based on what I have seen women play at my parties over the years.
  There may be some truth to that....I don't usually play games at all, unless it is something Jenn finds in the wild on her travels, But even that is more out of respect for the coin op vender than what game it is., Pins are fun, but not really considered a arcade game I would suppose. ::)

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 02:28:39 pm »
True.

My ms likes pac man, tetris and super puzzle fighter.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 11:26:29 pm »
Since we don't know his gal, I think its safe to say none of us know what she is or isn't into gaming wise.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 01:58:00 am »
Since we don't know his gal, I think its safe to say none of us know what she is or isn't into gaming wise.
  That was merely observations and not to say what his gal is into.... However PBJ is most likely not far off the mark, Of the girls I know a big, ugly and stupid cab in the living room just aint going to happen in this lifetime.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:28:11 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 09:30:06 am »
All of you newbs need to go read CrapMAME.

:banghead:

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 09:39:00 am »
Hello every one I want to build a arcade machine for my gal, this will be the first I've done something like this, I plan on making it 4 players with a large television 4 LCD screen whichever is cheaper. I'm worried about power tool because this week be a budget build. What tools so I need and were can u find then at a good price?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Drill/screw driver.
Router.
Saw.

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 09:59:32 am »
  That was merely observations and not to say what his gal is into.... However PBJ is most likely not far off the mark, Of the girls I know a big, ugly and stupid cab in the living room just aint going to happen in this lifetime.

He never said it was going in the living room, it could go in his basement, he could have a spare bedroom. My point is we know nothing about where it would go, what his gal is into, or what kind of build skill he has. So we have no idea if she would love it or hate it or if it would be an amazingly built beautifully designed cab or as PBJ so eloquently put it a "steaming pile of meadow muffin"

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 01:01:09 pm »
Wow! you guys are being rough on this guy :badmood:

Hey Rob, the reason they are giving you some much crap is because there is a lot that goes into a building a cab an could be a bit much for those that are new to some power tools.

You could do it if you put your mind to it but many give up or end up with a pile of  :censored:

Just make sure you do your research first.  Bar tops are a cool manageable way to start and two person control panel plugged into a tv can be fun as well.   :applaud:

You will know when you have become a master builder when you start building short cabs you can sit at. :soapbox:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

Loafmeister

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 08, 2020, 03:21:17 am
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 01:42:17 pm »
Don't be too hard on them raccoon,they're charter members of the "arcadecontrols.com welcoming committee".  Seriously I get the frustration but give the newbie a bit of a break.  Who knows, with a bit more support and a bit less sarcasm, he could turn out to be the next great member, instead he's just going to be scared off.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 02:32:40 pm »
Don't be too hard on them raccoon,they're charter members of the "arcadecontrols.com welcoming committee".  Seriously I get the frustration but give the newbie a bit of a break.  Who knows, with a bit more support and a bit less sarcasm, he could turn out to be the next great member, instead he's just going to be scared off.
  Scared off from what, his own desire?.... If that's the case, there is nothing any of us could say to deter him, including his gal, He will build it, He will spend, their cash, He will buy a room full of tools, He will work a drill press purchase into her sisters wedding day, He will work on the kitchen table, He will research, day and night constantly, even out at the restaurant with tap talk, He will spend every night (sometimes all night) out in the shop, He will have to build it now as it has become a platform of insanity, and a window into his soul,  He will have questions, and, He will need us.... And There is simply NOTHING any of us could do about it. 

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »
   BTW....Hello Rob. ;)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2017, 02:45:26 pm »
Wow! you guys are being rough on this guy :badmood:

According to time stamps he hasn't even seen the replies yet.

I'd suggest starting with just building a control panel & box. If you want to do a 4 player box, go for it. You can then later build either a cab to bolt the panel to, or a pedestal to bolt it onto in front of a TV. You can also then decide if a 4 player CP is what you want or if you want to scale it back to 2 players. It helps reduce the number of tools as well, since most hardware stores will do 2 cuts for free. This will also give you a project to better your skills on before tackling a full cab. 
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.