Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 3D Printing : Arcade Edition Thread  (Read 73682 times)

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: 3D Printing : Arcade Edition Thread
« Reply #160 on: February 25, 2019, 07:00:23 am »
So I got my Ender 3 and some nice white pro PLA from MatterHackers.  Would it be possible (and not a waste of PLA) to print out some Star Wars Yokes and gears?

It has been talked about before: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=133656.0

Not sure if they would break under wear and tear.

Also has anyone made a cover for their 3d printer?  I am not sure about the IKEA lack mod, but the PVC enclosure looks cheaper an contains the heat, since the weather is getting colder.

Just read this. I’m actually building an enclosure this weekend. Bought 3 IKEA Lacks and am printing the parts as I type. I saw one some friends set up and it’s perfect.

Lately it has been getting cooler in the garage, and it has been hard to get the bed up to temperature.  So that lack enclosure is becoming a necessity.  Are you going with glass or lexon?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #161 on: February 25, 2019, 07:39:41 am »

Just read this. I’m actually building an enclosure this weekend. Bought 3 IKEA Lacks and am printing the parts as I type. I saw one some friends set up and it’s perfect.

Lately it has been getting cooler in the garage, and it has been hard to get the bed up to temperature.  So that lack enclosure is becoming a necessity.  Are you going with glass or lexon?
I’m going to go with plexi, but I’ve got a few ideas to give it a bit more flair. I’ll post pics as I build. Here’s where I’m currently at...

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #162 on: February 25, 2019, 01:17:38 pm »
I've been thinking metal is the way to go.  That way, if my printer ever has a meltdown and overheats it would have a harder time catching anything on fire.  I can just put some foam board on the outside for insulation.  I know that regardless, it needs to be designed in such a way that I still have full access to every angle of the printer.  I don't know how many times I've been trying to insert new filament and I've ended up having to fully or partially take the extruder apart to get things going properly. 

So I'm thinking the base and the sides/top need to be attached via latches so I can just unlatch from the bottom and lift the whole thing off if needed. 

I know that the pvc pipe is probably a bad idea.  It's cheaper, but pvc gets brittle over time, especially if it's exposed to sunlight so it might snap on you. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #163 on: February 25, 2019, 03:42:31 pm »
I've been thinking metal is the way to go.  That way, if my printer ever has a meltdown and overheats it would have a harder time catching anything on fire.  I can just put some foam board on the outside for insulation.  I know that regardless, it needs to be designed in such a way that I still have full access to every angle of the printer.  I don't know how many times I've been trying to insert new filament and I've ended up having to fully or partially take the extruder apart to get things going properly. 

So I'm thinking the base and the sides/top need to be attached via latches so I can just unlatch from the bottom and lift the whole thing off if needed. 

I know that the pvc pipe is probably a bad idea.  It's cheaper, but pvc gets brittle over time, especially if it's exposed to sunlight so it might snap on you.

Howard, if you look closely at my pic, the top section has a 3D printed piece between it and the middle table. It’s a connecting mechanism that allows me to lift the top off for easy maintenance.

It’s kind of like stacking cones. The bottom is a cone shaped piece. The top has a cone shaped hole in the bottom. I think it will work very well.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2019, 12:11:49 am »
I can't really tell from the pics, sorry about that man. 

I've got some sheet metal lying around I might go ahead and pickup some aluminum L channel and try things my way.  Not sure.  If we had an ikea nearby I'd probably be doing it your way. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2019, 12:20:01 am »
Here, I zoomed in on the pic for you. You can see the two pieces.

Anyone here do Octoprint?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2019, 12:23:54 am »
That should work.  I haven't really seen the need for Octoprint.  It's a really cool idea, but these are Chinese printers so I'm too terrified to leave it unattended for too long. 

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2019, 05:18:01 am »

I’m going to go with plexi, but I’ve got a few ideas to give it a bit more flair. I’ll post pics as I build. Here’s where I’m currently at...

That looks awesome. Your prints look very nice indeed.   :applaud:  I cannot wait until it is finished.  Are you going to add a temperature sensor too?

I have some lacks going spare (was for lack arcade) and I will do the same.  I got one of IKEA's small BEKVÄM carts to put the printer on and have a spare PC underneath.  I also got octoprint working on a Pi zero W, and I know about the streaming issue, but I bought the small camera for time lapse.  Have you seen the palette pro yet?

https://www.mosaicmfg.com/    :o
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2019, 09:33:03 am »
That should work.  I haven't really seen the need for Octoprint.  It's a really cool idea, but these are Chinese printers so I'm too terrified to leave it unattended for too long.

The first thing I did was add a MOSFET, so I’m pretty confident nothing is going to catch fire.

One thing I’m going to do when I move the setup over is the remove the power supply from the printer and mount it under the top enclosure. I’m also going to take the LCD off the top of the frame and move it to a more convenient location.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2019, 09:38:01 am »

That looks awesome. Your prints look very nice indeed.   :applaud:  I cannot wait until it is finished.  Are you going to add a temperature sensor too?

I have some lacks going spare (was for lack arcade) and I will do the same.  I got one of IKEA's small BEKVÄM carts to put the printer on and have a spare PC underneath.  I also got octoprint working on a Pi zero W, and I know about the streaming issue, but I bought the small camera for time lapse.  Have you seen the palette pro yet?

https://www.mosaicmfg.com/    :o

I’m probably going to buy a Pi for the project if I do it, so I’ll get a regular one, not the Zero. I do want to add a camera.

Also thinking about doing this auto level kit. Any experience/recommendations?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2019, 01:18:46 pm »

The first thing I did was add a MOSFET, so I’m pretty confident nothing is going to catch fire.

I have one installed as well and it should take care of anything, but one time when I was changing the nozzle out the temp probe fell loose on the heater and if I hadn't been sitting right there it would have caught on fire.  There are lots of little things that can go wrong that just makes me weary. 

That bed leveling kit is a bit on the steep side.  I think you can get what you actually need for $20 or less. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2019, 01:25:13 pm »

I have one installed as well and it should take care of anything, but one time when I was changing the nozzle out the temp probe fell loose on the heater and if I hadn't been sitting right there it would have caught on fire.  There are lots of little things that can go wrong that just makes me weary. 

That bed leveling kit is a bit on the steep side.  I think you can get what you actually need for $20 or less.

I’ve seen cheap knockoffs, but I’m a firm believer that you get what you pay for. The thing I like, if you read the reviews, is that the seller really stands behind the product. To me that’s worth the extra costs.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2019, 02:13:16 pm »
No that's not what I mean.  The "kit" that comes with the other parts is unnecessary.  You can buy the same sensor by itself cheaper. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2019, 02:53:21 pm »
No that's not what I mean.  The "kit" that comes with the other parts is unnecessary.  You can buy the same sensor by itself cheaper.

True, but it’s convenient that it’s all together, plus again the guy gives impeccable support. That’s worth it to me.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2019, 07:59:04 pm »
Fair enough.  Let me know how it works for you because I've been thinking of doing the auto-level mod but half of everybody out there says it isn't worth it.  Never sure who to believe on these things.  I just know that calibration is a pain in the butt when you haven't used it in a while. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2019, 10:35:53 pm »
Fair enough.  Let me know how it works for you because I've been thinking of doing the auto-level mod but half of everybody out there says it isn't worth it.  Never sure who to believe on these things.  I just know that calibration is a pain in the butt when you haven't used it in a while.
Yeah, I’ve actually gotten pretty good at just manually leveling my printer and tweaking it if need be. But I would like to try auto-leveling to see how well it works.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:02:12 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #176 on: March 07, 2019, 02:00:44 pm »
have looked at octoprint.
seems like a better way to go than using an SD card.

Have a spare rpi2 somewhere i can use.

been waiting for my printer to show.
It's been "out for delivery" since this morning.

sealcouch

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2023, 09:28:56 pm
« Reply #177 on: March 07, 2019, 05:02:18 pm »

Lookin' good. I built an enclosure for my ender 3 and after a while it just got to be a pain in the ass because I couldn't easily work on the printer. In a perfect world I wouldn't need to work on it, but I felt like I was always having a hard time. I'm only printing PLA in a cold basement so I didn't get much benefit from it anyway.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #178 on: March 07, 2019, 07:16:18 pm »

Lookin' good. I built an enclosure for my ender 3 and after a while it just got to be a pain in the ass because I couldn't easily work on the printer. In a perfect world I wouldn't need to work on it, but I felt like I was always having a hard time. I'm only printing PLA in a cold basement so I didn't get much benefit from it anyway.

Good points, I’m building mine because I keep it in our spare bedroom, and I want it to not look like an eyesore if we have guests in there.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
3D Printing : Arcade Edition Thread
« Reply #179 on: March 08, 2019, 04:47:04 pm »

Also thinking about doing this auto level kit. Any experience/recommendations?

Pulled the trigger on this kit. I’ll report back once it’s setup.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 04:19:36 pm by yotsuya »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2019, 03:15:56 pm »
Doing the post bed leveling print now.
Made adjustments while printing and I think I got it level.
hard to tell since it's just a big cricle with a cross hairs in it.

When that is done i'll print that boat or owls.

Also I knew how long it takes to print something because I watched real time videos, ect but seeing it....

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2019, 04:15:35 pm »
Yeah I don't use mine as much as I thought I would due to the time it takes to print stuff.  It's useful for those specialized bits though. 

If you like petg filament, amazon has a bit of a sale right now..... 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6BYW5Q/ref=twister_B07DVL9DTD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A little over 50 bucks for 5 spools or 17 for a single spool. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2019, 04:20:28 pm »
Print time doesn’t bother me so much anymore now that I know I’ve got a pretty reliable set up. I just set it to print and forget about it until I know it’s going to be done.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2019, 07:42:37 pm »
Yeah I don't use mine as much as I thought I would due to the time it takes to print stuff.  It's useful for those specialized bits though. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6BYW5Q/ref=twister_B07DVL9DTD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Oh WOW.
That's a good price.
I just spent $30 for two rolls of PLA.
and spent $17 for a roll of petg.

With PetG being easier to print i'm not sure i should bother with ABS.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2019, 07:58:24 pm »
Because of my printers volume I could totally print something like this for use with an old 7" android tablet.
But is it worth it?

http://newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143354.msg1486976.html#msg1486976

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 08:23:01 pm by nitrogen_widget »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2019, 08:25:23 pm »

Oh WOW.
That's a good price.

Yeah I thought I would pass it along but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger myself because I haven't really messed with petg yet.  PLA gets the job done for most things.  Anyone have any experience?

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2019, 09:37:24 pm »

Oh WOW.
That's a good price.

Yeah I thought I would pass it along but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger myself because I haven't really messed with petg yet.  PLA gets the job done for most things.  Anyone have any experience?

I'm printing up a tap handle as a test in PLA but I want these for outside so PET-G will be my next attempt if I like how this one comes out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2019, 10:17:39 pm »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2019, 11:14:08 pm »
I only use Hatchbox filament. Is the Amazon Basics version any good?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #189 on: March 11, 2019, 01:36:19 pm »
I don't have a clue, but I've never bought a bad amazon basics product before... I assume it's at least useable. 

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #190 on: March 11, 2019, 11:11:32 pm »
I ordered the pet-g.
Will try it out later this week when it comes in.
And I look up the proper setting for my printer to use it.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #191 on: March 11, 2019, 11:52:30 pm »
I'm about out of pla.  In a month or two I'll go ahead and order from amazon to try it out. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #192 on: March 11, 2019, 11:59:27 pm »

Got Phase 1 of the overhaul completed. Once I mount it in the enclosure, I’ll be ready for Phase 2 - new fiberglass belts as well as the auto bed level sensor.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2019, 01:04:37 am »
Nice man.  Which model are you using for the control box?  I'm going to end up doing that mod as well. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #194 on: March 12, 2019, 09:13:01 am »
Nice man.  Which model are you using for the control box?  I'm going to end up doing that mod as well.

I used this: it’s a top mount faceplate:

Anet A8 LCD holder found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2232518

For the sides and back I used some parts I had previously printed when it was mounted to the top. I found a faceplate I liked that I printed to cover the hole.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #195 on: March 12, 2019, 12:50:01 pm »
It's looking good.  Thanks for the link.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
3D Printing : Arcade Edition Thread
« Reply #196 on: March 12, 2019, 01:51:02 pm »
It's looking good.  Thanks for the link.

No problem.

I need to overhaul my belts. I printed out this Ikea Lack Switchboard...

found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3329766

And the holes for the buttons were a bit too ovally for my tastes.

Anyone here use belt tensioners like this?

anet a8 y belt tensioner found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2149867
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:53:00 pm by yotsuya »

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #197 on: March 12, 2019, 06:19:02 pm »

anet a8 y belt tensioner found on #Thingiverse https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2149867

I use one similar but it doesn't have the printed threads - just uses a nut and screw for that part.  I did add a zip tie around the outer part as it seemed to want to spread under load.  It's been working fine.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #198 on: March 12, 2019, 11:17:22 pm »

I use one similar but it doesn't have the printed threads - just uses a nut and screw for that part.  I did add a zip tie around the outer part as it seemed to want to spread under load.  It's been working fine.

Cool, thanks for the feedback

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #199 on: March 17, 2019, 09:15:29 pm »
I got my amazon basics pet-g in.
First attempt was a carabeaner.
235c nozzel and 85C bed.
A stringy mess but it printed.

I adjusted nozzel temp up to 238c and played around with wall thickness and layer height plus resolution and some other settings I don't fully understand yet. LOL!

and i only saw a little stringing at the beginning and heard the extruder clicking so I raised the Z height a tiny bit while printing (an option with my printer) and I think it looks good.
I choose to make this to test things are solid and because I have a puck light and I think it looks cool.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3434805

Will report back on how the filament performed in a day or two when it's done printing.