Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY Racing Cabinets?  (Read 2496 times)

dgrace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 01:43:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
DIY Racing Cabinets?
« on: November 23, 2017, 01:23:45 am »
Does a company exist that builds racing cabs or sells DIY kits for racing cabinets (like a Recroommasters)? I looked online but couldn't really find anything other than racing chairs.  But i'm interested in a full blown racing cabinet but don't have the skill set to build my own. Thanks

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
Re: DIY Racing Cabinets?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 11:08:46 am »
I remember seeing a couple of over priced ones somewhere. Probably be better off with an empty racing cab and converting it.

shaolindrunkard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
Re: DIY Racing Cabinets?
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
Does a company exist that builds racing cabs or sells DIY kits for racing cabinets (like a Recroommasters)? I looked online but couldn't really find anything other than racing chairs.  But i'm interested in a full blown racing cabinet but don't have the skill set to build my own. Thanks

Like thomas said, there are a couple companies that make them, but for one thing they are not really styled after actual arcade machines, they are more for people who like sim racing and they cost an insane amount of money. I just finished building my own, but I do have experience in woodworking and it was no picnic even then.

Again like thomas said if you go on craigslist you may be able to find an empty cabinet that you can use as a starting point. I have 3 of these and am looking for a 4th so I can do a multiplayer set up.

If you cant find one on craigslist you can put an ad out in the wanted section and you may get some replies, just make sure you don't get screwed on the price, put in your ad that you don't want to pay more than say $100, and specify that you are looking for non working or already gutted cabs.

One thing to keep in mind is that even an empty cab is extremely heavy and you will need 2 people to move it and also make sure you measure your doorways to make sure it will fit...