Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Model 3 racing games - Gameplay diary, daytona 2, scud race, and le mans 24  (Read 3130 times)

negative1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
i am finally getting around to trying out the supermodel emulator, now that i have pc's and a graphics card
that can run them.

background
-------------
i have played sega racing games since outrun, and even before that in the arcades. i also played a lot of racing games
on the sega genesis, and then the saturn, dreamcast, and xbox 360 and pc.

i have played the virtua racing series, daytona, sega rally, and indy 500 in the arcades.
(didn't get a chance to play touring car or manx tt though, i have played them and
sega rally 2 extensively on the pc).

i have all the pc games released from sega also, [not counting the crazy taxi series]

i have NOT PLAYED anything sega related in the arcades since that time.

so that's why i'm ready to try out these games:
=============================
daytona 2
scud race
le mans 24

i might consider:
------------------
dirt devils
emergency call ambulance
harley davidson and la riders

i might replay
---------------
sega rally 2

i just want to document my experience with the games.

i've almost figured out how to get the controls working with an xbox 360 controller on pc.

i can get the steering working, but not the other buttons.

====================================================================

daytona 2 - first attempt

got through 7 laps on easy
got through 2 laps on medium
didnt finish a lap on hard course

=======================
graphics look great, music is terrible, and the handling will take a little bit of getting used to.

the gameplay is pretty much a continuation from the prior daytona games.

======================================================

scud race - getting ready to try it out

le mans 24 - the controls seem very touchy, so i will adjust those before playing further.

later

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
 :)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:03:12 pm by shaolindrunkard »

Boomslang

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2024, 08:20:43 pm
BOTE or power edition?

I prefer bote myself. Love the music personally lol

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
BOTE or power edition?

I prefer bote myself. Love the music personally lol

Yeah the music is great.

negative1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 04:06:51 pm
just a short update on this.

been playing all 3 games this week, and daytona 2 is the battle on the edge edition.

well, i've been having trouble finishing any of the courses on any of the levels after a few hours.
i would come close, but never make the final lap.

it turns out somehow in the supermodel GUI that i was using, the controls were mapped to multiple actions.

as it turned out, the steering also turned out to brake everytime i turned. so i would always be losing speed.

yeah, i know, i should have noticed, but i thought i was just rusty, and out of practice in a new game.

so now i've been able to finish some of the courses, but have a long way to go to finishing in the top 10 of daytona.

scud race is a whole different story, and le mans, the cars fishtail like crazy.
====================================================

aesthetically, i don't like the daytona 2 scenery, it's very garish, overblown, with a crazy vivid color palette.

maybe i just like the somewhat natural scenery and palettes of the first one. all the extra stuff around the track is
just distracting.

as far as the music goes, it's ok, but the american vocalist is way too in your face, the japanese one is better, but
i've lowered the volume anyways.

i'm going to take a short break from these, because i'm almost finished with sega rally revo on the xbox 360, and
have poured about 80 hours into it, and since the driving controls are totally different, i don't want to get mixed
up with arcade controls.

i have some long posts and details about the sega rally series ready to go at some point.

[by the way, i have ONLY used gamepad controllers for home use, and never a steering wheel for some reason, because to me its easier on the hands
for multi hour play.. in arcades wheels are fine, because i've never really played racing games for several hours in a row]

later
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:29:24 pm by negative1 »

MrThunderwing

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:31:43 pm
  • As I pass, do I give you the ass or the crotch?