Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Altered Beast Build  (Read 4480 times)

angus66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2018, 10:39:44 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Altered Beast Build
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:26:39 pm »
Have wanted to build a minicade since I finished my Golden Tee and Buck Hunter 2 builds last year. I have had this idea of having a minicade of Altered Beast and another of Double Dragon as those were the two big machines from when the period of my youth when I frequented arcades and they seemed still a little sketchy. I did a crude draw in Idraw a while back but got into Sketchup recently and transferred a template to that and came up with this. Now I have a cut list. At one time I thought they'd be powered by a couple of old laptops (even did a crude mockup with a console and laptop running a mame) but leaning towards Raspberry Pi now as I am a RasPlex user and have fell in love with that little computer. mini-cade_altered_beast by sutheras66, on Flickr

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
Re: Altered Beast Build
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:11:41 pm »
I'm excited to see this build!

Your design is a pretty accurate conversion of the full-size cab to a bar-top. One small note (I had to Google it myself), but the joysticks were black ball-tops on black shafts.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 04:43:04 pm »
I echo the kudos on the interpretation you have there.  Of course, the game doesn't hold up so well....

But you cannot deny it's influence and notoriety.  Plus it certainly looks tons better than some bartops I see these days!  I will be following.

angus66

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 04:54:20 pm »
I think it was scale of everything on the screen that made us think it was so great. But no I've played it since and it doesn't hold up - didn't port to console well either. But it's the one (and Double Dragon) I think of when I think of being in arcades back then. They'll be playable but they'll be also have fun to have running in the background of parties with the demo play looping, "RISE FROM THE DEAD!!". The sound of that and Kohomo would pretty much transport me directly back to 1988.

angus66

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 12:50:11 am »
Finally some movement on this project. Spent Friday building the cabinet from my SketchUp design. Also this will now run off Raspberry Pi Retro Pi. Hopefully it won't be another 2 years before I post again.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:31:35 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:49:27 am »
Nice workshop dude! Also,  build is looking good.

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 04:42:09 pm »
Who else said "rise from your grave" when you saw the two year update?

Looking good man!

Niels Arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2018, 05:35:06 am
  • I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 10:06:17 am »
Good for you on continuing your project! Before you do anything else I'd advice you to first route the T mold slot, assuming you're adding T mold (I would personally recommend routing the T mold slot before assembling the cabinet to make it easier). Good luck!
I built a Star Wars themed arcade cabinet
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,147851.0.html

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:09:32 pm
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 07:25:22 pm »
Nice clamps dude.

angus66

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 05:42:24 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. It's been a fun build so far. Looking forward to working on it tonight. As for the game I know it's not the best game. I kinda just want to be able to plug it in during parties and have the game demo play, sound and animation to run. If someone plays it all the better - if not it's cool ambience. But with my Golden tee 2005, Big Buck hunter and now this mini cab running my batcave will be kinda like pub. I came back to this project as I did all the research, had the drawing and parts and I was just a $40 sheet of of MDF away from getting the bulk of it done (and other projects are stacking up - I'm looking at you Gameboy Zero and Kegerator). I appreciate the comment about the T-molding and I'm back and forth on that. AB cabs had were mostly done in back with black T-molding (contrary to my sketch-up version). I might just sand paint the ends. But I still have the option as the two side are the only two places I'd want T-molding (console front is bull-nosed and the marquee will cover the top). I can still get at the sides with a router. Here are some picks from last night's console work.

PS - It's my Father-in-law with the nice workshop. I'm just very much benefiting from it. 

IMG_0817 by sutheras66, on Flickr