Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Buttons used with track ball and/or spinner  (Read 2176 times)

martin35

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 09:55:29 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Buttons used with track ball and/or spinner
« on: November 17, 2017, 09:21:44 pm »
Guys

I'm looking to build a 2 players cabinet with a track ball and a spinner. I like the Knievel CP layout (see attachment) but I'm not sure if only 2 buttons beside the spinner are enough for most of the game. How many buttons do you have  for trackball and spinner on your cab guys ?

Thanks

Martin

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:21:35 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: Buttons used with track ball and/or spinner
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:48:01 pm »
I can't think of any Trackball or Spinner games that has more than 2 buttons (I'm sure maybe there is some). You can always add some more buttons down the road if need be but 2 is a good start.

Forgot about MISSILE COMMAND, that is a 3 button game. This game should be a good reason to have 3 to start with.

Looking thru my setup, it looks like Super Breakout have 4 buttons :)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:52:50 pm by Thenasty »
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

martin35

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 09:55:29 am
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 09:19:29 am »
Missile Command, good catch. I like that game. For me it looks like 3 buttons is a minimum.

Martin

Scottes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2021, 08:19:45 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 09:11:01 am »
I designed a board with trackball and spinner for Major Havoc, Tempest and Centipede. It's attached.

I did not do Missile Command because it's not one of my favorite games, and I didn't like the resulting button layout that resulted. Laying out the buttons for Missile Command - a game I'll rarely play - clashed with the button layout for Major Havoc - a game I'll play constantly. I don't like MC enough to pay $3 for the button, let alone impair my ability to play MH. That's just my opinion.

One thing that I felt was important was to soften the forward edge of the control panel. I ran a 3/4" rounded routing bit along the front edge. I know that I get hectic playing Centipede and I didn't want to take the chance of rubbing my hand against a 90-degree angle.

Take the above with a grain of salt - this is Version 1 and it won't be finished until later today so I haven't had a chance to play it.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:17:31 am »
Guys

I'm looking to build a 2 players cabinet with a track ball and a spinner. I like the Knievel CP layout (see attachment) but I'm not sure if only 2 buttons beside the spinner are enough for most of the game. How many buttons do you have  for trackball and spinner on your cab guys ?

Thanks

Martin

To be honest,  its a little dangerous having a spinner stick up so close to the trackball.   If someone gave a good hard roll... they might smash their
fingers into it on accident.

If you place spinner(s),  between the stick and the buttons,  or potentially to the far edge of the CP... you could then use the regular buttons,
and have all +6  at your disposal.

There Spinner game that uses quite a few = Star Trek.

I believe:

- Thrust
 - Fire Lasers
 - Photos
 - Shields

I love that game.  Totally worth the buttons.

Also,  not many people would know... but   "Top Secret"  By: Exidy,
Is a 360 Degree Wheel Driving game (Basically a Spinner with a large wheel attached to it)  that has like 8 buttons.

Its actually kind of fun.

Being that Spinners can be used for many 360 degree Optical wheel racing games...  adding 2 or 3 or them,  would be a nice feature.
Adding an analog gas pedal set at the base of each players position,  would aid in making them even more fun to play. 
(3 player super sprint is hella-fun)

Im pretty sure there are other 100% spinner games that use more than 2 buttons.  My brain is just not functional at the moment.

EX:
 [         (s)     ooo     \__/            (s)     ooo    ]
 [                o                                  o          ]
 [_______________________________________]

(Try to leave a good 9" to 12" diameter clear around the trackball.  Buttons are low, so not an issues.. but joysticks can be a problem
with hands slamming into them.   Also, be aware of the monitor glass being too close... )

Additionally, I would recommend at least One button per player have an Authentic Leafswitch button... for Classics that require repeated
high-speed rapidfire.  Learn to 'float' the leafs (light feathery Shallow vibration/bounce ),  to gain superior speed,  with almost zero fatigue.