Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help! Powersurge....  (Read 2300 times)

Islandlife

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 12:25:55 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help! Powersurge....
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:09:31 am »
Hey guys,
I am hoping someone can help - i have an old school arcade machine and the other day we had a power surge and it stopped working - i have opened it up and there are two main fuses which one was blown - i have replaced that fuse - also the fuse was blown inside the power supply.

I have replaced both fuses and as soon as i turn it on - it lasts about 3 seconds and the power supply goes up in smoke! I have checked the wires and as far as i can see nothing is burnt out.
The multimeter shows 120 going in to the power supply (the power supply is set to 110).

I uprgaded the monitor last year to a led monitor and bought pandoras box 4, Added more buttons so its two player. All the witing is orginal still.

Anyone out there that can help??? I really dont want to have to replace all the wiring -and then find out its still happening...

Please help!

Cheers

Chris

Mike A

• Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:35 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
Re: Help! Powersurge....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 09:11:28 am »
It's karma for wrecking an arcade machine by adding a LED monitor and a Pandora's box. Zeus struck your machine down with his lightning bolts.

If you want help, find someone who knows how to navigate AC wiring. Replace the power supply. If smoke came out of it, it is toast.

SuperGojira2001

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 20, 2017, 05:14:53 pm
  • Trying to learn...
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 10:20:19 am »
Also after you replace the PSU upgrade it back to a CRT  ;)

Islandlife

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 11:02:16 am »
I have replaced the power supply with a new one but that went up in smoke as well - the voltage is correct i have tested it.

Any help??

Cheers

shaolindrunkard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 11:13:43 am
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 12:42:37 pm »
Also after you replace the PSU upgrade it back to a CRT  ;)

It's karma for wrecking an arcade machine by adding a LED monitor and a Pandora's box. Zeus struck your machine down with his lightning bolts.

If you want help, find someone who knows how to navigate AC wiring. Replace the power supply. If smoke came out of it, it is toast.

Give the guy a break. Power surges are no fun. We had one when I was a kid at my parents house and it took out almost every appliance in the house. Everything except for the stuff in my room because I had everything on surge protectors.

By up in smoke you mean the fuse is blowing? Or the board is actually frying?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 12:55:37 pm »
If a new PSU literally went up in smoke you have a serious fault somewhere!
Likely a short circuit somewhere.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 12:58:49 pm »
My explanation still makes the most sense.

Islandlife

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 02:49:57 pm »
The original one that was in there when the powersurge happened - just the fuse - the new one i bought litterally went up in smoke!  It was connected correctly - i triple checked everything...

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 03:09:21 pm »
The original one that was in there when the powersurge happened - just the fuse - the new one i bought litterally went up in smoke!  It was connected correctly - i triple checked everything...

Better quadrupole check because you have a major fault there.

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 03:19:46 pm »
What they mean,  is that somewhere... something may have got loose or dropped into an area, that is causing a short.  Such as a screw that fell and lodged itself inside of the Circuitboards.

Have you inspected the boards for damages?   Burnt Soot?  Convex Bubbled Topped / leaking Caps?   Loose / Disconnected wires?  Bad Pins in connector ends?
Burnt Edge connectors?  Broken pins?  Connectors plugged in... in reverse?  (some lack a key pin - and Could be accidentally inverted)

Try unplugging the monitor?  Tested the monitor on its own?
Are you using a power strip?  Smelled it for any burning smell?  Have you tested that strip somewhere else to see if a breaker will trip?   

Checked any Audio Amps for issues?   Tried Disconnecting the Audio Amp?  Tested any speakers / subwoofers on their own?  (for shorted coils)

Checked the Marquee light for any internal melted wires?  Tried it on its own / disconnected it?

Sorry to say... but more than likely,  your one or all of your boards are Toast...  and its causing the power supply to fry along with it.
(Boards in the PD4,  and possibly,  the monitor itself)

If something has blown this bad... it has to have left a pretty strong scent + blackened soot mark / exploded cap...etc.   Follow your Nose + Inspect all
components.

(Also, if its a Cheap-O power supply.. it could literally just blow up on its own.  Sadly, thats the state of electronics this day and age)

Islandlife

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »
What they mean,  is that somewhere... something may have got loose or dropped into an area, that is causing a short.  Such as a screw that fell and lodged itself inside of the Circuitboards.

Have you inspected the boards for damages?   Burnt Soot?  Convex Bubbled Topped / leaking Caps?   Loose / Disconnected wires?  Bad Pins in connector ends?
Burnt Edge connectors?  Broken pins?  Connectors plugged in... in reverse?  (some lack a key pin - and Could be accidentally inverted)

Try unplugging the monitor?  Tested the monitor on its own?
Are you using a power strip?  Smelled it for any burning smell?  Have you tested that strip somewhere else to see if a breaker will trip?   

Checked any Audio Amps for issues?   Tried Disconnecting the Audio Amp?  Tested any speakers / subwoofers on their own?  (for shorted coils)

Checked the Marquee light for any internal melted wires?  Tried it on its own / disconnected it?

Sorry to say... but more than likely,  your one or all of your boards are Toast...  and its causing the power supply to fry along with it.
(Boards in the PD4,  and possibly,  the monitor itself)

If something has blown this bad... it has to have left a pretty strong scent + blackened soot mark / exploded cap...etc.   Follow your Nose + Inspect all
components.

(Also, if its a Cheap-O power supply.. it could literally just blow up on its own.  Sadly, thats the state of electronics this day and age)
Thanks Pixel for the very useful advice - i will get on to it - the pd4 and monitor are all good as when i put the new fuse in it all started up for a few seconds before burning out the power supply.

Thanks again! I will post when i find the issue

Cheers

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »
wo trigger
your last statement in its self explains a ton.
how can everything be ok? if it blew the fuse again?
that's a oxcimourn in its self.
1 would want to think to start from scratch
un-plug monitor see if new fuse blows ?
if yes then un-plug the game Pandora's box ,  see if fuse blow's ?
if yes then move to power supply
if no in either of the other 2 , then it is clear what is blown
but a blank statement "all is fine then the fuse blow's" is way out there
all is not fine

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

Mike A

• Online Online
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 06:39:18 pm »
Get help from someone that knows their way around AC current before you electrocute yourself.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 06:29:22 pm »
Also, pics of your setup will help tremendously.  Sometimes we can spot the issue right away with how it's wired.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

pixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2019, 05:33:55 pm
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 10:40:13 am »
What game?

Certain games have specific issues to look out for as well.   From fuzzy memory, I believe some Atari games have audio amp board issues...
and when they start to go batty.. it causes the power supply to add more and more voltage,  until it frys itself.  (They have a special auto-voltage
regulator system... but,  I guess it ended up causing more problems than it solved)

Such was the case in Asteriods Deluxe.   They make cap kits to replace the failing caps.
I think there also may be alternate power supply boards / kits too.