Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Printing custom artwork questions?  (Read 2753 times)

ivwshane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2022, 09:35:21 pm
    • My first mame cab! (WIP)
Printing custom artwork questions?
« on: November 17, 2017, 02:42:39 am »
So none of the cabs I've ever built had any artwork except for the marque which was either a cutout from suitable material I got from work or purchased from l places that do reproduction work.

For the bartop I'm building I will need some customs graphics printed up and I'm not familiar with what material is used and how it attaches (is it a giant sticker or does it require glue), nor do I know where I need to go to get it printed. What is the typical cost for a control panel (roughly 10"x21")? What about for a marque (4"x21"), and side art (I'm only looking to do a graphic on the bottom of the side (roughly 10"x 20")? I thought I read that places like Kinko's will have what I need, can anyone confirm?

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:41:53 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Printing custom artwork questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 12:08:15 pm »
it is whatever you get them to print.

if you get them to print it on self-adhesive vinyl... it will peel and stick.  :dunno

really depends on what you plan on doing for finish. are you going to cover it with "plexiglas" or similar plastic? nothing? you can just get printed on simple card stock and just lay it under the overlay plastic with some double sided tape to keep it from shifting.

or get it printed on vinyl and apply it directly to the panel. be warned, with heavy use, the print will eventually wear through and show up as white spots where it gets constantly rubbed.... it should still be covered or those areas protected for long term use.

SlammedNiss

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:55:46 am
  • Mine Drags the Ground!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:12:43 pm »
or get it printed on vinyl and apply it directly to the panel. be warned, with heavy use, the print will eventually wear through and show up as white spots where it gets constantly rubbed.... it should still be covered or those areas protected for long term use.

There are places that can print on the adhesive side of the vinyl so you'd be able to stick it to the underside of the plexi or glass so wouldn't wear thru. We do vinyl signs but we don't have this capability. We had a job that required it and had to outsource it to one of our vendors.
Need arcade button decals? Click Here!

Lucian045

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2023, 02:01:58 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 10:15:04 am »
I could help you out if you like.  Here is my thread

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,134866.0.html