Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starting From Scratch  (Read 4207 times)

imtrashed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 02:47:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Starting From Scratch
« on: November 16, 2017, 02:57:37 pm »
Be gentle.  Started reading up a lot recently, but hoping you can all save me some time.  Starting from scratch here.  What do I need at the bare minimum to get going with an arcade?  Not building any cabinet yet and not sure if I'll go with a full standup cabinet or something bartop. 
Will likely just have the joystick/buttons on a piece of plywood to start.  Just want to start and see how this grows. 
Will likely start with an old Windows XP laptop, unless I pick up a Raspberry Pi (if that's recommended). 
Will use an old LCD TV to start. 
Want to eventually pick up a trackball and a spinner, so I'd like to have that functionality as an option. 
Looking to play classic 80s arcade games mostly. 

If you were starting over with something bare bones that intends to grow, what would you buy?  What do I need?  And what's the most economical way to go about it? 

2 joysticks, 6 buttons for them, 1/2 player coin and start, pause, volume
ipac?  ipac ultimate i/o? 

Go ahead.  Start my addiction. 

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
Re: Starting From Scratch
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:36:51 pm »
Or do I just buy an X-Arcade control setup to start and add that to a cabinet later on? 

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 04:38:39 pm »
Why not use an old CRT TV to start?  They are free or practically free. May as well start out right.

thomas_surles

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 04:45:40 pm »
I would start with building your own cp and not the x arcade. Better to learn by doing it.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:28:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 05:15:06 pm »
Be gentle.  Started reading up a lot recently, but hoping you can all save me some time.  Starting from scratch here.  What do I need at the bare minimum to get going with an arcade?  Not building any cabinet yet and not sure if I'll go with a full standup cabinet or something bartop. 
Will likely just have the joystick/buttons on a piece of plywood to start.  Just want to start and see how this grows. 
Will likely start with an old Windows XP laptop, unless I pick up a Raspberry Pi (if that's recommended). 
Will use an old LCD TV to start. 
Want to eventually pick up a trackball and a spinner, so I'd like to have that functionality as an option. 
Looking to play classic 80s arcade games mostly. 

If you were starting over with something bare bones that intends to grow, what would you buy?  What do I need?  And what's the most economical way to go about it? 

2 joysticks, 6 buttons for them, 1/2 player coin and start, pause, volume
ipac?  ipac ultimate i/o? 

Go ahead.  Start my addiction.
The FAQ is a great place to start.

Since the wiki is still down, you can find a backup copy here.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160809113045/http://newwiki.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?title=FAQ

An XP laptop with a USB fightstick would be a great way to learn your way around the MAME and front end software, build your list of "gotta-have-it" games, try out different hardware like sticks/buttons, and practice your woodworking/finishing skills.

Based on your game preferences (some newer games need an XBox360 controller) and wanting to add a trackball+spinner, an I-Pac or Mini-Pac Opti is an excellent choice for the encoder.
-- I-Pac if you want to save a few bucks and practice fabricating wiring.
-- Mini-Pac if you want the convenience of a pre-fab wiring harness.

If you're looking for a lower-priced encoder, you can "roll-your-own" KADE miniArcade 2.0, but it won't handle the trackball/spinner inputs, so you'll also need an OptiWiz or StefanBurger's Illuminated Spinner firmware on an Arduino.

Scott
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:28:25 pm by PL1 »

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:29:18 pm »
I found a guy locally with an X-Arcade control panel, cabinet, and monitor.  Just need to hook a computer up to it.  The laptop I was planning on using is running super slow (and is an old Vista PC, which I hate too).  Always had some issues.  Am I better off picking up a Raspberry Pi for this? 

thomas_surles

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2023, 07:20:00 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 08:21:23 pm »
I found a guy locally with an X-Arcade control panel, cabinet, and monitor.  Just need to hook a computer up to it.  The laptop I was planning on using is running super slow (and is an old Vista PC, which I hate too).  Always had some issues.  Am I better off picking up a Raspberry Pi for this?
You can get cheap dell optiplexes on ebay for <$45
Id rather do that than a pi. Or an old pc off Craigslist.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:15:25 am »
Going to try using the laptop or old PC I have at home.  Where do I go to begin to download the ROMs?  Now to also figure out which emulator(s) to use and figuring out the front end business. 

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:58:57 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 09:26:23 am »
Going to try using the laptop or old PC I have at home.  Where do I go to begin to download the ROMs?  Now to also figure out which emulator(s) to use and figuring out the front end business.

Send a PM to PL1. He’ll hook you up.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:37:55 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 09:28:26 am »
I see what you did there.

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 09:29:50 am »
Where do I go to begin to download the ROMs?  Now to also figure out which emulator(s) to use and figuring out the front end business.
ROMs: Google
Emulators & front-ends: lot's of reading here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/board,3.0.html

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 09:32:12 am »
Where do I go to begin to download the ROMs?
See #5 here:police:

Scott

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 09:45:05 am »

Scott

My post must have gotten cut off.  I meant "Where do I go to begin to download the ROMs for the original PCBs I own?"

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:46:59 am »

Scott

My post must have gotten cut off.  I meant "Where do I go to begin to download the ROMs for the original PCBs I own?"
Rule #5 still applies.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 09:54:26 am »
My apologies about the ROM comments.  It was in jest.  Still obviously new to all of this, so just trying to get a feel for how everything works.  Been reading up a bunch, but there's a lot to digest and no real "How To" regarding software or getting started for a noob.  Very much appreciate the help so far. 

Starting from scratch, what would you recommend I obtain to get my arcade going (based on my desire for predominantly classic arcade games)?  What software would I need to load onto either a PC or a Raspberry Pi (depending on which way I go)?  Is there a particular version of MAME?  A particular front-end software that's easy and intuitive?  I'll continue to read up, search, and look at stickys, but I'm going to pick up a cabinet with monitor and joystick / CP tomorrow, so I'd love to get going this weekend.  Thanks! 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 10:04:17 am »
No worries.

Keep reading and researching. You’re going to get a variety of opinions, so I’d look at previous builds to see what they’ve done, and go from here. I personally would use a PC, others would swear by the Pi.

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 11:18:30 am »
I personally would use a PC, others would swear by the Pi.

Others want to cut down the Pi, slice by slice...

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:55 am »

Make sure you research on what computers can run your emulators.  Otherwise you get yourself into a trick bag of not having enough computing power for the emulator.  ie A i3 wont run Dolphin...etc, etc.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:56 pm »

Make sure you research on what computers can run your emulators.  Otherwise you get yourself into a trick bag of not having enough computing power for the emulator.  ie A i3 wont run Dolphin...etc, etc.
Thanks.  Will do.  Basically just looking to run classic 80s arcade games (probably via MAME?) and also some Atari 2600 games and NES games. 

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2017, 01:50:25 pm »
No worries.

Keep reading and researching. You’re going to get a variety of opinions, so I’d look at previous builds to see what they’ve done, and go from here. I personally would use a PC, others would swear by the Pi.
Yup, Pi is probably easier, but a PC has definitely more power and more options. I would say: beginner who want plug&play: pi, otherwise PC.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 02:14:33 pm »
No worries.

Yup, Pi is probably easier, but a PC has definitely more power and more options. I would say: beginner who want plug&play: pi, otherwise PC.
I may go both routes to see how I like each.  And keep one on the new/used cabinet I'm getting and one for a new build. 

If I want to get my PC started tonight, what do I have to download to get moving?  I'll download MAME, but what about a front-end?  Emu Loader?  Maximus?  MaLa? 

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 02:18:12 pm »
And I may have an old PC without Windows on it also.  Might consider installing Linux on a new SSD hard drive.  Would that get me booted up more quickly?  No real experience with Linux, but I'm a quick computer learner. 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 03:21:31 pm »
And I may have an old PC without Windows on it also.  Might consider installing Linux on a new SSD hard drive.  Would that get me booted up more quickly?  No real experience with Linux, but I'm a quick computer learner.

Windows has better emulation software than Linux does. Boot times become meaningless once you have an SSD. My PC takes more time farting around in the Bios deciding if it wants to boot than it actually does loading windows. My XP Mame cabinet on 16 year old hardware also boots fast enough that it isn't even a real thing that I think about.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 03:22:59 pm »

Windows has better emulation software than Linux does. Boot times become meaningless once you have an SSD. My PC takes more time farting around in the Bios deciding if it wants to boot than it actually does loading windows. My XP Mame cabinet on 16 year old hardware also boots fast enough that it isn't even a real thing that I think about.
Thanks.  What do you use for frontiend software? 

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 03:34:11 pm »

Thanks.  What do you use for frontiend software?

I cannot give any advice on any currently available frontend because I haven't tried a new one or updated one in at least 10 years. I used to use Mamewah. Your frontend is your last and least important choice, you could install all of them if you wanted.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 11:13:18 pm »
If I want to get my PC started tonight, what do I have to download to get moving?  I'll download MAME, but what about a front-end?  Emu Loader?  Maximus?  MaLa?
If you're just looking to get started as easily as possible, you might consider one of the GUI MAME builds like MAMEUI, ARCADE (a continuation of MAMEUIFX), or MAMEUIFX. (0.175 or older)

The GUI builds aren't as configurable or pretty as a regular front end, but they are easier to get running.   ;D

Scott

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:32 am »
If you're just looking to get started as easily as possible, you might consider one of the GUI MAME builds like MAMEUI, ARCADE (a continuation of MAMEUIFX), or MAMEUIFX. (0.175 or older)

The GUI builds aren't as configurable or pretty as a regular front end, but they are easier to get running.   ;D

Scott
Thanks.  Might try one of those, as I've been getting really frustrated getting Gameex working.  Bailing on that and will be searching for another. 

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 12:32:27 am »
Some popular frontends...

Game Ex, Hyperspin, mGalaxy, Launchbox, Attract Mode... start with those.

And skip the X-Arcade controller. Its not that great.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

imtrashed

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2017, 07:39:54 am »
Some popular frontends...

Game Ex, Hyperspin, mGalaxy, Launchbox, Attract Mode... start with those.

And skip the X-Arcade controller. Its not that great.
It's a cabinet with x-arcade controls and monitor for around $350 asking.  I thought it was a good deal to get started, even if I replace the controls soon enough.