Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with switching out buttons and joysticks  (Read 1635 times)

jtb1987

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2021, 01:08:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help with switching out buttons and joysticks
« on: November 12, 2017, 02:12:55 am »
Hi everyone,
Looking for general advice on replacing my existing pushbutton/joystick set for our MAME cabinet.

I am currently using the set below:

https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/joystick-button-bundle-kits/

Specifically the illuminated zippy joysticks and pushbuttons.

I've decided that I'm not happy with the convex + greater resistance/harder click feel of the set I have today and would prefer a softer click, concave feel to the buttons.

I'd also like for the joysticks to feel like have more weight, resistance to them. These zippy ones are too loose & clicky, and just don't feel like like what I remember.

Next, my kids and I really like that our current buttons are LED/illuminated.

Are there any recommendations as to the type of buttons + joystick that I'm looking for?

Finally, is the xin mo the gold standard when it comes to the interface with the PC? Or would there be a better recommned encoder?

Really appreciate any insight you may be able to share,

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AndyWarne

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2021, 03:37:09 am
    • Ultimarc
Re: Help with switching out buttons and joysticks
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 02:43:51 am »
Our Goldleaf buttons would likely fit the bill here, being a concave button which has a no-click integral switch design.

We do have new RGB versions of these but these are not yet on our site. There is no reason why I should not add them to the store though. They have pre-wired double RGB LED which plugs directly into our I-PAC Ultimate I/O board.

A joystick choice might be J-Stik or Servo-Stik and perhaps with the optional harder spring.

big10p

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2023, 01:46:23 pm
  • Mmmm, arcade classics!
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 04:54:18 am »
Another option is Sanwa JLF sticks. You can get stronger springs for them - 2lb and 4lb. I have the 4lb ones in a cab and they are pretty damn stiff, which is the way I prefer them. I also hate the weak, sloppy strings that come as standard in a lot of sticks.

jtb1987

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2021, 01:08:10 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 10:31:35 pm »
Our Goldleaf buttons would likely fit the bill here, being a concave button which has a no-click integral switch design.

We do have new RGB versions of these but these are not yet on our site. There is no reason why I should not add them to the store though. They have pre-wired double RGB LED which plugs directly into our I-PAC Ultimate I/O board.

A joystick choice might be J-Stik or Servo-Stik and perhaps with the optional harder spring.

Hi Andy, I would like to try this option - interested in when these will be available on your online store.