Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Current MAME cabinet sellers?  (Read 3137 times)

ironspider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 09:58:49 pm
Current MAME cabinet sellers?
« on: November 11, 2017, 04:46:29 pm »
Greetings all, just getting back into MAME/Emulator game and was wondering who the big cabinet manufacturers are nowadays? I guess I'm talking like CNC kits that you can assemble yourself? Several years ago I had one from mameroom.com and it was cool so I know they're still around but I was wondering if there are other players in the game? Ideally I'm looking to do a 2 person setup with the ability to do a trackball and a spinner in addition to the 2 8-way 7 button setups. They would also need to ship to (or be close enough for pickup) Los Angeles (since I moved here I had to sell my old cabinet and building my own out here is just not an option).

Thanks in advance!!

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
Re: Current MAME cabinet sellers?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:53:04 pm »
get a short cab you cab sit down and play. Buy it now before the rest of this site sees this and talks you out of it :soapbox:
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:50:29 pm »
get a short cab you cab sit down and play. Buy it now before the rest of this site sees this and talks you out of it :soapbox:

Give it a rest.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 10:58:47 pm »
I'll show respect out of the credentials I see listed below your avatar yotsuya, you are lagit :notworthy:

BUT, I'm only half joking. :lol

I have been building cabs for 14 years and only one was stand up. I have a wood shop at home and work (I teach high school algebra 5 hours a day and wood shop for 1 each day) I build arcade cabs to teach wood shop skills. The designs for the cabs gets voted on in the mock up stage. None of my students have been in an arcade and that's why the whole sit down thing started.

Once I tried it I never went back. I will post some pics some time of students playing so the idea does not seem so blasphemous >:D

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:22:05 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 05:44:51 am »
Just because you have been doing something for 14 years doesn't mean you have been doing it right. Stand up or GTFO.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:09 am »
I'll show respect out of the credentials I see listed below your avatar yotsuya, you are lagit :notworthy:

BUT, I'm only half joking. :lol

I have been building cabs for 14 years and only one was stand up. I have a wood shop at home and work (I teach high school algebra 5 hours a day and wood shop for 1 each day) I build arcade cabs to teach wood shop skills. The designs for the cabs gets voted on in the mock up stage. None of my students have been in an arcade and that's why the whole sit down thing started.

Once I tried it I never went back. I will post some pics some time of students playing so the idea does not seem so blasphemous >:D
Jennifer has tried to donating some equipment to her local school, and found it to be quite an exasperating experience, I for one, would be quite skeptical you could teach the skills needed with any appreciable level of safety AND build a game with only 1 hr a day....That (IMO) would barely cover proper  maintenance, and tool care.   

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »
Hey yots, you're credentialed. That's a hoot!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 01:56:54 pm »

I’m also an Arrogant Tallywacker, I need to add that to the credentials as well.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 03:18:03 pm »

I’m also an Arrogant Tallywacker, I need to add that to the credentials as well.

Oooh, I like that.  I'm adding that to mine.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 04:49:36 pm »

Oooh, I like that.  I'm adding that to mine.

And don't you forget it, motherscratcher

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 08:37:39 pm »
Hey Jennifer it does take a lot of time with just one hour a day. We have three cabs being built right now, one is almost done and we play it daily, it just needs some airbrush art. Another one is just a cab with no electronics except speakers, and the grand daddy of cabs is two years in the making and has been showcased in some educational mags. Funny thing about that is I stick a broken xbox 360 in it so no one questions the source of games :o

As for safety, I work in a inner city continuation school( (not Chicago, but in the top three of dangerous cities). I got students with missing limbs from gun shots. Heck, I got a student with shrapnel in his head from a hollow point hitting his jaw. Still, the most dangerous stuff I let them use is a drill, router, and hand saw. I cut all major stuff for them and my school makes me unplug all equipment between cuts.   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 08:56:32 pm »
As a fellow educator, I give you props. I sponsored a video game club for years. Last year, I had my Super Pac-Man cocktail in my classroom. The kids loved it.

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 09:19:20 pm »
thats awesome :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I love turning on the students to retro games, quality game play never goes out of style. One year we had a joust thing going on and another it was robotron. We have a bad gang thing our here but when students play a competitive game of frogger they turn back into just kids again for a little while :cheers:

Right now we are all playing samurai showdown, its been a lot of fun

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 09:51:24 pm »
thats awesome :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

I love turning on the students to retro games, quality game play never goes out of style. One year we had a joust thing going on and another it was robotron. We have a bad gang thing our here but when students play a competitive game of frogger they turn back into just kids again for a little while :cheers:

Right now we are all playing samurai showdown, its been a lot of fun

Mine would play the crap out of Super Pac. I did a unit in my PC 101 on the history of computers and gaming, capped off with a high score challenge using MAME. It was fun watching kids to figure out games like Asteroids and Frogger. And Galaga. Effin’ Galaga.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2017, 10:11:35 pm »
       That sounds just AWESOME. :applaud:
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 10:25:18 pm by jennifer »

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 06:36:35 pm »
Mameroom is now North Coast Customs.  You can still order stuff there that's flat packed to you.  They now even have an option to have a UTrak cutout if you don't want the Happ trackball layout.  https://www.mameroom.com/webstore.asp?productid=CLASSICKIT&category=151

There are others, but in my experience North Coast is decent for the price.  The wiring and artwork is up to you, so in my eyes you're still building your own controls, just with a little help in the woodworking dept.

DeL
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 09:06:51 pm »
Hey Jennifer it does take a lot of time with just one hour a day. We have three cabs being built right now, one is almost done and we play it daily, it just needs some airbrush art. Another one is just a cab with no electronics except speakers, and the grand daddy of cabs is two years in the making and has been showcased in some educational mags. Funny thing about that is I stick a broken xbox 360 in it so no one questions the source of games :o

As for safety, I work in a inner city continuation school( (not Chicago, but in the top three of dangerous cities). I got students with missing limbs from gun shots. Heck, I got a student with shrapnel in his head from a hollow point hitting his jaw. Still, the most dangerous stuff I let them use is a drill, router, and hand saw. I cut all major stuff for them and my school makes me unplug all equipment between cuts.   :cheers:
  I don't know to laugh or cry.You are giving them what exactly? Teaching them to use a handsaw? What kind of future can they expect Mr. Kotter, Perhaps a job in the shipyards a couple hundred years ago?....Stop doing the work for them and let them learn something.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 09:13:45 am »
I don't get the issue with unplugging the equipment between cuts. Those seem like too low of standards. You should be proactively having an equipment lockout method and the power should be cut between cuts and student should be restricted from being able to power them up. When my father taught shop, all power equipment was keyed and student had to get access from him for any cut. Still, they were able to use all sorts of power tools and equipment.

He taught shop in inner city Milwaukee, shop class was probably the best discipline and structure those kids had.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:15:37 am by Vigo »

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 10:41:48 am »
I don't get the issue with unplugging the equipment between cuts. Those seem like too low of standards. You should be proactively having an equipment lockout method and the power should be cut between cuts and student should be restricted from being able to power them up. When my father taught shop, all power equipment was keyed and student had to get access from him for any cut. Still, they were able to use all sorts of power tools and equipment.

He taught shop in inner city Milwaukee, shop class was probably the best discipline and structure those kids had.
There, Exactly,Your dad obviously knew a thing or two about teaching.... Schools may have been different back then in terms of lockouts however, cant recall ever seeing any on old industrial equipment, at least before the 70s era machinery anyway  ( may be wrong merely observation ;D). I never got formerly trained, Jennifer went to a timecard school with miserable, pathetic, giveout teachers ( (until I got termed anyway), and then into the real world working under skilled craftsmen in a multitude of trades. and reading books I found in the college dumpsters.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:53:33 am by jennifer »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 11:11:30 am »

There, Exactly,Your dad obviously knew a thing or two about teaching.... Schools may have been different back then in terms of lockouts however, cant recall ever seeing any on old industrial equipment, at least before the 70s era machinery anyway  ( may be wrong merely observation ;D). I never got formerly trained, Jennifer went to a timecard school with miserable, pathetic, giveout teachers ( (until I got termed anyway), and then into the real world working under skilled craftsmen in a multitude of trades. and reading books I found in the college dumpsters.

I never doubted your resourcefulness, Jennifer. DIY everyting, including education.  :cheers:

For my dad, most of them were locks he put around the trigger. I'll have to ask him how he did it exactly on all equipment since he was doing this in the 70's, and I know he said he had to modify some equipment. Some power tools, like sanders and grinders he made himself out of old motors. I believe he put some on a switch that were in a locked box.

jennifer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 05:35:50 pm »
   Oh how delicious that is ;D,,  Not many do that kind of thing anymore, I have a belt sander project on the workbench,He would love to check out, I would bet.... Over Christmas I will post a thread for you guys.

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2017, 01:37:07 pm »
We unplug tools between cuts because we like to work outside in a high traffic area instead of in the shop most of the time (small kids show up with welfare mothers a lot).

The shop has a full time construction training school in there every other day. Its the size of airplane hanger but I feel bad making noise when they are talking or doing book work. (half my school is a construction training school and the other half is a high school.) 60 in construction and 120 just getting a diploma :dizzy:

As for the hand saw, its more for the experience. If you grew up in the ghetto, you may not know anyone with a screw driver or what it is. I rarely find any that can read a clock :dunno