Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tempest Cabaret  (Read 8524 times)

8BitMonk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 05:27:00 pm
Tempest Cabaret
« on: November 09, 2017, 04:00:56 pm »
Tempest Cabaret Restoration

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:22:15 pm by 8BitMonk »
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
Re: Tempest Cabaret
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 04:01:10 pm »
Space reserved...
Games: Asteroids Deluxe | Atomiswave | Centipede | Championship Sprint | Defender | Donkey Kong | Dig Dug | Frogger | Ikari Warriors | Missile Command | Pac-Man | Pole Position | Robotron | Spy Hunter | Tempest | Super Mario Strikers

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:46:26 pm »
You getting quite the collection... looking forward to seeing this restore.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:26:49 am »

Yeah they're piling up, had some good pickups recently but way behind on restoring!

Unfortunately with this one there was no monitor or board set so I'm thinking I'll fully restore it as a Tempest (cp, sideart etc.) but make it a multi-vector Mame using an LCD until I can source original parts at a sane price. It pains the soul a bit to put an LCD in any of my machines but on the upside I think I can make the monitor rotatable and play Tempest 4000 when it comes out.  8)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:29:56 am by 8BitMonk »

vwalbridge

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2021, 12:21:09 pm
  • Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing.
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:30:54 am »

Yeah they're piling up, had some good pickups recently but way behind on restoring!

Unfortunately with this one there was no monitor or board set so I'm thinking I'll fully restore it as a tempest (cp, sideart etc.) but will make it a multi-vector mame using an LCD until I can source original parts at a sane price. It pains the soul a bit to put an LCD in any of my machines but on the upside I think I can make the monitor rotatable and play Tempest 4000 when it comes out.  8)

Seriously, you are on fire! You have some great games now. I'm so envious of your time you have to put into the hobby. As always, I'll be following your restores. You always do a helluva job!  :cheers:

And I actually like the tempest 4000 idea.  :cheers:
If you can read this, it means Photobucket's money grab ruined my signature photos.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:17:25 am »
Seriously, you are on fire! You have some great games now. I'm so envious of your time you have to put into the hobby. As always, I'll be following your restores. You always do a helluva job!  :cheers:

And I actually like the tempest 4000 idea.  :cheers:

Thanks, I'll feel more on fire once I finish a couple of these beasts and get them into the basement, I've been slacking lately!  :cheers:

Ian

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2021, 01:50:35 am
  • "A day without Laughter is a day wasted"
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:01:26 pm »
Jealous!
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:29:03 pm »
Jealous!

My jealously for others pickups dissipates about halfway through a restore project of my own (when I remember how much they are) at which point it turns to pity.  :lol

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 04:32:10 pm »
Jealous!

My jealously for others pickups dissipates about halfway through a restore project of my own (when I remember how much they are) at which point it turns to pity.  :lol

Unless you can find a really good LCD, try to find a computer CRT. I got a Tempest in the same condition, and an LCD just isn’t black enough. I found 20 inch computer CRT and never looked back.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 04:36:51 pm »
Unless you can find a really good LCD, try to find a computer CRT. I got a Tempest in the same condition, and an LCD just isn’t black enough. I found 20 inch computer CRT and never looked back.

Cool, thanks for the heads-up, was curious what'd work best. I have a 20" CRT I picked up off of Craigslist for peanuts awhile back!  :cheers:

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:11 pm »
So, short backstory, I came across this cab on letgo. It had a very vague description but a quick flip through the photos and I could see it was an Atari cabaret and by the vent on the back that it was likely a converted Tempest.

Some 'I just got it home' pics.

I was hoping I might find the original Tempest power supply and board set inside but no such luck. It did however have a nice no burn Hantarex Polo monitor, Dohs Revenge and some bonus mouse turds in it, a steal at $150. 

Bummer the serial number wore off, the top back panel was hacked in as well.

They really mucked up the front with holes from a lockbar and generic plexi covering where the coin door used to be. The marquee is gone as well.

CP is all there and in good shape, no extra holes drilled and looks original.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:04:00 pm by 8BitMonk »

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:17 pm »
CP, monitor, board all off in prep for stripping and new laminate for the sides.

Removing the nasty old vinyl with some heavy duty stripper and a heat gun.

Minor bondo repair and sanding.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 05:53:24 pm »
A word about the woodgrain...

For my Dig Dug cabaret restoration I used a Teak woodgrain vinyl from Vvivid. While it worked fine, this time I wanted to try actual laminate.

I have a Frogger that I'm restoring as well so I needed to find woodgrain laminate for both. On the Wilsonart website you can view designs of full 4'x8' sheets to get a feel for the color and woodgrain, I used this to try and eyeball a good match for each cab. I decided on Nepal Teak for the Tempest and English Oak for Frogger.

I was able to find an online cabinet company (Cabinetmaker Wharehouse) that carried both of these at a reasonable price, the 4 4'x8' sheets along with shipping totaled ~$300.

Originals.

Some pics of the laminate held up against the originals.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 06:08:02 pm »
Lamination time.

And the end result.

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 06:12:08 pm »
Got rid of the old feet while I had it on it's side.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2017, 07:13:14 pm »
Thank you for wood laminating those instead of going balls to the walls gaudy sideart. The arcade gods will smile down on you.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 08:36:04 pm »
That turned out really nice. Makes me want to go laminate something.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:25 pm »
Nice!!

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 12:23:24 am »
Thank you for wood laminating those instead of going balls to the walls gaudy sideart. The arcade gods will smile down on you.

Well I'm not completely innocent, I'm putting the optional sideart on the Tempest and AD cabarets and no woodgrain and the full wrap white sideart on the Missile Command. What can I say, I need me some side art, hopefully the arcade gods still smile down on me.  ;D

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 12:26:49 am »
That turned out really nice. Makes me want to go laminate something.

Nice!!

Thanks! This is my first laminating job, definitely a bit nicer than the vinyl but definitely more work. Also the smell of contact cement is no ---smurfing--- joke. :dizzy:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:07:47 pm by 8BitMonk »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 02:00:35 am »

Well I'm not completely innocent, I'm putting the optional sideart on the Tempest and AD cabarets and no woodgrain and the full wrap white sideart on the Missile Command. What can I say, I need me some side art, hopefully the arcade gods still smile down on me.  ;D

Nevermind.

;)

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 09:47:02 am »
Nevermind.

;)

No worries, I said 100 Hail Flynn's and sacrificed a 60-1, the arcade gods are appeased.  :notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 04:08:25 pm by 8BitMonk »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 10:29:22 am »
Please tell me you are going to post a 10 hour build video. And where is the cutout for the aquarium?

8BitMonk

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 10:47:55 am »
Please tell me you are going to post a 10 hour build video. And where is the cutout for the aquarium?

That slot in front ain't for no lame over-under coin door.  ;)

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:52:21 am by 8BitMonk »

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:33:13 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 11:33:12 am »
8BitMonk. I am going to be building a couple of cabarets based off the plans for the tempest and centipede cabinets. Could you please post the measurements of the control panel including measurements between the bends? I need to know where to bend the metal in addition to just knowing the basic dimensions.. This will be my first attempt at a metal control panel.