Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Project: Pedestal arcade with 4x rgb-10 buttons and rgb-sticks (ledblinky)  (Read 3443 times)

haleksander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2021, 03:35:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi. Earlier this year i built a bartop arcade:

And for my next project i want to build a pedestal arcade with 4 players. 10 buttons each. All buttons and sticks light-controlled via ledblinky.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of setup? I've only seen projects consisting of uneven number of buttons for all the players, and/or having connected not as many buttons as what i'm planning. Is it posible to get 4 encoders for handling only the rgb-lighting for each player, or would that be problematic? Would Ledblinky app handle 4x encoders rgb-lights for each player?

I want to use separate encoders for each player's input (due to previous experiences such as giving up making Steam tackle xin-mo controllers and such)

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
Re: Project: Pedestal arcade with 4x rgb-10 buttons and rgb-sticks (ledblinky)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:22:28 pm »
Why do you need so many buttons per player?  At most I would think you'd need 8 for player 1 and 2.  And that's for games like Injustice and MKX.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

haleksander

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 06:10:12 pm »
Why do you need so many buttons per player?  At most I would think you'd need 8 for player 1 and 2.  And that's for games like Injustice and MKX.

The plan is to fully map an equivalent of say, an Xbox 360-controller (A,B,X,Y, LB, RB, LT, RT, START, SELECT) so that i can map it in Steam as a fully functional controller (minus L3 and R3)

Playing Steam games without having to go into controller preferences for each game and adjust the settings in order to make it work with only 8 buttons is preferable. And by using Ledblinky, only relevant buttons would light up for each player.

Hopefully, i'll rarely have to use all buttons in one game, but each player-set would still be compatible if a game would have no option for adjusting controls in case it turns out that say, RT is the unadjustable default button for sliding.

I have two players with 10 buttons on my previous build (check the video) and found it practical when testing new modern games for Steam (or ps1, ps2, xbox etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

haleksander

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 06:11:38 pm »
So i'm still wondering if it's as "easy" as just purchasing 4x zero delay encoders (which is the same encoder i'm currently using, and that i'm quite satisfied with, since it works well with Steam vs my previous attempt with a dual Sinoarcade encoder)
and 4x RGB-encoders (which ones?) for handling only the lights. Or do they all come with both light- and controller- signal handling?) I'm still very new at this

barrymossel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 29, 2021, 11:25:52 am
  • Spectrum
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157647.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 04:45:36 am »
So i'm still wondering if it's as "easy" as just purchasing 4x zero delay encoders (which is the same encoder i'm currently using, and that i'm quite satisfied with, since it works well with Steam vs my previous attempt with a dual Sinoarcade encoder)
and 4x RGB-encoders (which ones?) for handling only the lights. Or do they all come with both light- and controller- signal handling?) I'm still very new at this

I use the ZD encoders as well, but I noticed some problems/weird things with using more than one controller. For instance some of the 2P fighters always start with two players (I haven't test that much though) or P1 and P2 are suddenly the other way around. So, you might want to Google if 4 players are even possible.
But maybe it's just an RPi thing... :)

luizw81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 12:39:36 pm
  • I love the Power Glove. It's so bad.
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 05:09:00 pm »

The plan is to fully map an equivalent of say, an Xbox 360-controller (A,B,X,Y, LB, RB, LT, RT, START, SELECT) so that i can map it in Steam as a fully functional controller (minus L3 and R3)

Playing Steam games without having to go into controller preferences for each game and adjust the settings in order to make it work with only 8 buttons is preferable. And by using Ledblinky, only relevant buttons would light up for each player.

Hopefully, i'll rarely have to use all buttons in one game, but each player-set would still be compatible if a game would have no option for adjusting controls in case it turns out that say, RT is the unadjustable default button for sliding.

I have two players with 10 buttons on my previous build (check the video) and found it practical when testing new modern games for Steam (or ps1, ps2, xbox etc)

Dooh!  For some weird reason I was thinking 10 buttons AND start and select.  I'm looking to upgrade my cab from 8 buttons to 10 buttons also.  I want to get newer fighting games (MKX, Injustice, etc.) on it.